lightandfrost
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: N/A
Local Beach: N/A
Favorite Beaches: N/A
Style: onshore waveriding
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: SOKG (Self Organizing Kite Group)
Has thanked: 0

Pansh Aurora II 8 Meter Line Plans

Postby lightandfrost » Fri May 31, 2019 7:51 am

Light and Frost(L&F) has obtained two(2) Pansh 8 meter Aurora II Kites. Immediately upon receipt of these kites L&F attempted to obtain a detailed line plan for the kite. All that was available was a drawing of the line architecture. Exact lengths of these lines were NOT provided.

Ram-air kite lines especially the small thin lines attached directly to the kite itself shrink over time. The shrinkage continues, until the kite becomes un-flyable. Some owners attempt to solve the problem by stretching the lines. L&F use a more permanent solution. Instead of stretching the line, L&F use larks head extensions made from 100lb test Dacron fishing line to restore the lengths to factory settings.

When an owner should restore the kite to factory lengths depends on several factors. When the owner suspects the kite is beginning to lose its efficiency, measure the trailing edge lines usually labeled "br" or "z" lines. Trailing edge lines usually have the most shrinkage followed by leading edge lines usually labeled "a" lines. Interior lines between the leading and trailing edge usually show the least amount of shrinkage.

For large kites in the 15 meter or greater size, a general shrinkage approaching 10cm on trailing edge lines, which is measured from the kite attachment point to the first branch, usually warrants a complete line audit and length restoration of ALL lines.

To measure the lines use a sewing cloth tape measure. Do not try and use a metal tape measure.

The main kite lines are usually the same length. If this is the case on the line plan, then just make sure all the main kite lines are the same length.

L&F may obtain a 15 meter kite in the future. When this occurs the lengths will be published here. Until that time, interpolation of kite line length could be tried by using the following proportional equation.

Kite Size 8 meter Kite Size 15 meter
----------------- = ------------------
line length 8 meter X

Hence (line length 8 meter) times (15)
-------------------------------------------

Or line-length of 8 meter kite times 15 divided by 8

If the kite still does not fly properly after restoration, then the internal straps within the kite have probably stretched or broken. This has occurred with some manufacturers when they went from standard cloth to the very thin ultra light material. They did not factor in the fact that some of the stress was being taken up by the cloth itself. If the internal straps have broken just open the kite, reattach the strap and close the kite. If these straps have stretched only the factory can really repair.

Line plans are provided as attachments.

Any further help will be provided upon request

Light and Frost
Attachments
Pansh Aurora II 8 meter.Png
Pansh Aurora II Kite Lines.png

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Aurora II 8 Meter Line Plans

Postby Jyoder » Fri May 31, 2019 12:00 pm

Keep on keeping it weird, man. :thumb:
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
windrider1 (Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri May 31, 2019 2:13 pm

Did you try to contact Pansh for the line plans?

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Fri May 31, 2019 5:22 pm

Come on men were talking about a pansh . 😂There is no standardized line plan just put some string on there and fly the thing . Thats how its done at their factory anyways . Ure reading too much into the pansh its a bargain alternative to a real kite garbage hype .
lightandfrost wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:51 am

Light and Frost(L&F) has obtained two(2) Pansh 8 meter Aurora II Kites. Immediately upon receipt of these kites L&F attempted to obtain a detailed line plan for the kite. All that was available was a drawing of the line architecture. Exact lengths of these lines were NOT provided.

Ram-air kite lines especially the small thin lines attached directly to the kite itself shrink over time. The shrinkage continues, until the kite becomes un-flyable. Some owners attempt to solve the problem by stretching the lines. L&F use a more permanent solution. Instead of stretching the line, L&F use larks head extensions made from 100lb test Dacron fishing line to restore the lengths to factory settings.

When an owner should restore the kite to factory lengths depends on several factors. When the owner suspects the kite is beginning to lose its efficiency, measure the trailing edge lines usually labeled "br" or "z" lines. Trailing edge lines usually have the most shrinkage followed by leading edge lines usually labeled "a" lines. Interior lines between the leading and trailing edge usually show the least amount of shrinkage.

For large kites in the 15 meter or greater size, a general shrinkage approaching 10cm on trailing edge lines, which is measured from the kite attachment point to the first branch, usually warrants a complete line audit and length restoration of ALL lines.

To measure the lines use a sewing cloth tape measure. Do not try and use a metal tape measure.

The main kite lines are usually the same length. If this is the case on the line plan, then just make sure all the main kite lines are the same length.

L&F may obtain a 15 meter kite in the future. When this occurs the lengths will be published here. Until that time, interpolation of kite line length could be tried by using the following proportional equation.

Kite Size 8 meter Kite Size 15 meter
----------------- = ------------------
line length 8 meter X

Hence (line length 8 meter) times (15)
-------------------------------------------

Or line-length of 8 meter kite times 15 divided by 8

If the kite still does not fly properly after restoration, then the internal straps within the kite have probably stretched or broken. This has occurred with some manufacturers when they went from standard cloth to the very thin ultra light material. They did not factor in the fact that some of the stress was being taken up by the cloth itself. If the internal straps have broken just open the kite, reattach the strap and close the kite. If these straps have stretched only the factory can really repair.

Line plans are provided as attachments.

Any further help will be provided upon request

Light and Frost

ToeKnee
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: BluMesaRes. East end
Favorite Beaches: Air/Earth Interface
Style: Blustery
Gear: HQ, Pansh

Postby ToeKnee » Fri May 31, 2019 7:56 pm

Over 4 full years use of my Pansh A15s (sheathed bridles), 9m and 12m, adjustment has not been necessary. They still fly great! YMMV. I have had to shorten the A mains on my other foil kites during the same time frame.
Generally all the bridle lines shrink a similar amount. But, the heavily loaded A bridles may shrink less or not at all, and eventually require shortening to match the shrinkage of all the other bridles. Haven't seen this on these older Pansh kites.
If your Chinese language skills are excellent you might try to contact them. Don't expect a reply. Seems their english speaking rep, Rose, is gone.
L&F thanks for your work measuring and charting the Aurora II bridles. But, don't worry too much about keeping them to spec. Just shorten the A bridles when the kite is hesitant to launch or hangs back in the window. Works for me anyway, too many toys to maintain!
Last edited by ToeKnee on Fri May 31, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Fri May 31, 2019 8:04 pm

The A2 pansh bridals lines are sheathed and should shrink less than exposed braided lines. Slightly heavier, slightly more drag, but better abrasion resistance and less shinkage. Not sure of the bridal line materials, they may stretch, time will tell.

I assume you measured these new before the kite has been flown and the lines have been tensioned and knots bedded? Curious if your first flight of the 8m Aurora2 goes better than mine? I have since got a 10m Aurora2 and it flew great without any bridle/mixer changes, like others. The 8m seems lofty and quick and the 10m seems smoother and more controllable, using the same bar & lines on each.

Good luck, let us how it flys.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:02 am

lightandfrost wrote: To measure the lines use a sewing cloth tape measure. Do not try and use a metal tape measure.
?? Sewing measuring tapes are very inaccurate use a metal one.
ToeKnee wrote:Over 4 full years use of my Pansh A15s
Would you like to try my mod?

lightandfrost
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: N/A
Local Beach: N/A
Favorite Beaches: N/A
Style: onshore waveriding
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: SOKG (Self Organizing Kite Group)
Has thanked: 0

Postby lightandfrost » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:44 am

All L&F know about the Pansh line is the price AND when customers told Pansh the kite did not fly correctly the company replaced the kite. No where in our original thread are there any comments on the quality or performance of this product. However there are many others using the Pansh line in our areas of operation who have had no problem with the kites they purchased.

The lines were measured right out of the box before use.

We wrote Pansh for line plans - there was no answer.

L&F has restored many Ram-Air kites back to full function. At first metal tape measures were used but cloth tape measures due to their flexibility were found much easier to use especially on long strings.

To: Toeknee

L&F is very interested in any line mod you have - please post it here. Please also note what the mod is trying to accomplish

ToeKnee
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: BluMesaRes. East end
Favorite Beaches: Air/Earth Interface
Style: Blustery
Gear: HQ, Pansh

Postby ToeKnee » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi L&F , Please note, Foilholio has done, and reported on a major line modificati0n on his Pansh A15, 18 m. NOT the Aurora 2. You can find his outstanding R & D process in the post 'Pansh A15, an A18 review'. The A15 is lower aspect ratio than the Auroras. I am merely a user of 3 stock A15s, and quite pleased with their performance and durability. Wish i had the time to try that mod!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:14 am

Thanks for the appreciation of my effort ! :-) While it may seem a major modification, I don't myself consider it that. It does rearrange parts a bit and alter lengths. I have considered changing bridle attachment locations and altering the camber of the sew shape, which I think is getting major. For the purposes of keeping the Mod accessible to others I have not gone that path. I don't really have the time either. I have been able to achieve what I have so far from a reasonably solid understanding of these kite and a series of many small steps mostly in the right direction over a long time. Confirming something works off many seasons I think is a crucial to confirming an understanding.

3 A15s! I am impressed, that's 2 more than me. I think if I owned a smaller one I would have more time to develop it because of the need for quite rare wind for a large kite. I have thought of getting another A15 but I think now given the improvements of my mod I believe Pansh should consider updating the A15 with it and maybe some other things. I think I will try contact them.

If you wanted help trying the mod on 1 of your kites, I can offer plenty of it. I have made some conversions viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2398719&start=20 for a 9m for Regis. I can't guarantee how exactly sizes different than 18m will work or even an 18m will, given differences in bridle state from shrink. It is likely you would have to tune it a little or just accept it. The mod is reasonably easy to reverse, that said I would try it on just one kite first and perhaps the closest to 18m.

Here is that other thread, I suggest looking at the end for the most recent best info. viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2391108&start=490

Return to “Foil Kites”