Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul 12 difficult to handle at the top end

Postby andylc » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:47 pm

Good luck finding any 12-13m foil kite or 14-15m+ LEI that isn't a handful above 20 knots. It's just physics innit!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:59 am

direnc wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:30 pm
Janus wrote: It has a good top-end.. but what was the weight of the guy you saw boosting the 12 when you were on a 9m LEI? and what is your weight?
Don't forget it has the power potential of a 15m LEI.
I am 80kg, and the other guy seemed to be about the same weight.

Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:19 pm
Edging up hard against the kite and trying to fight it like that never seemed to work with the foil kites. And when you get out of control fast, better to jump and bleed speed that way...
I am really afraid to jump when I am out of control.
Just a little hop -- send the kite slowly and let it lift you off the water and float with it. When you land, you've bled all your speed. Just make sure you've lots of room downwind.

Better to not need to do it in the first place though ...

mikesids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate

Postby mikesids » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:35 am

For me ( 80kg) the upper comfortable limit for jumping the 12m Soul is 20ish kts, maybe up to 22. I was using a 55cm standard Ozone Race bar but the trim range is actually not huge ( ie max differential between front and rear line length which translates into angle of attack). So I got a Kite Attitude race bar which has miles more trim range , and also had my Ozone race bar altered to add trim range ( you need to lengthen the leader lines to match accordingly). Gives a much greater safety margin , both on the water and also handling on land. The Soul is pretty beasty at its upper end so it's good to have a bit more insurance.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:10 pm

mikesids wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:35 am
For me ( 80kg) the upper comfortable limit for jumping the 12m Soul is 20ish kts, maybe up to 22. I was using a 55cm standard Ozone Race bar but the trim range is actually not huge ( ie max differential between front and rear line length which translates into angle of attack). So I got a Kite Attitude race bar which has miles more trim range , and also had my Ozone race bar altered to add trim range ( you need to lengthen the leader lines to match accordingly). Gives a much greater safety margin , both on the water and also handling on land. The Soul is pretty beasty at its upper end so it's good to have a bit more insurance.

thank you!

i was looking for a larger(60cm or more) new bar with ample depower...this may be exactly what i'm looking for!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:22 pm

Direnc,

On that wind my mate is on 8m Soul, and he is about
70 +.
12m is quite slow compared to 10 or 8 and the reason why he is on 8 is quick redirect and looping.

The reason why the other guy was not overpowered might be a small board, who knows...

D.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:13 pm

downunder wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:22 pm
Direnc,

70 +.
12m is quite slow compared to 10 or 8 and the reason why he is on 8 is quick redirect and looping.

The reason why the other guy was not overpowered might be a small board, who knows...

D.
72kg Just purchased a brand new 12m FS Soul for my light-wind foiling on a 633 Moses. Now I think I screwed up.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:35 pm

PurdyKiter wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:13 pm
downunder wrote:
Direnc,

70 +.

D.
72kg Just purchased a brand new 12m FS Soul for my light-wind foiling on a 633 Moses. Now I think I screwed up.
Several of my 85-90 kg friends are Foiling on big wings and the Soul 12m. It's good for 4ms to 7-8ms and they get over powered. So it's their big kite. One of them has a Speed 21 he pulls out in super light winds. But I've think it's kinda unnecessarily big.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
PurdyKiter (Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:22 pm

PurdyKiter wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:13 pm
downunder wrote:
Direnc,

70 +.

D.
Not really, if you re feeling overpowered just shorten the lines, i fly mine with 15mt lines and can hold it up to 20 knots range
These users thanked the author juanpasala for the post:
PurdyKiter (Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 pm)

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Get a big bar with a very long throw then set it so when you pull it all the way in the kite stalls. I've had times with my 18m sonic, 20m aero, and 21m aerov2 when the wind changed (typical in the mountains) and I was WAY overpowered getting back to my launch area. The trick at that point is:
1. Keep it low and go (the kite that is), if you get lofted better forward than up.
2. Completely stall it when moving it across the window from left side to right during tacks to go upwind, don't let the bar out releasing the stall until its all the way at the other edge of the window.
3. If no one is prepared to land your kite, the front line safety flagout likely won't bring the kite to the ground in high winds, instead it will spiral around in the air flagged out for a while. Anchor the safety line somehow then hand over hand on the flagout line to get the kite back on the ground. Prepare yourself for an hour or so of untangling bridle lines lol.
These users thanked the author kitejumping for the post:
deniska (Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:50 am)

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:10 am

How much power you feel comfortable handling depends a lot on your experience, riding style, and how gusty the wind is that day. I have friends that fly two sizes of kite smaller than others that weigh the same. It does take a different riding style and willingness to ride super powered up to boost very high. It might mean riding a shorter period of time and riding far from other riders (when you go high, you go far). Not every rider has nerves of steel and that is a good thing.

I weigh the same as you. I own a 10m & 12m Soul. If the wind is say a steady 20 gusting to 25, I would fly the 12 and probably would not pull the depower strap at all. However, if the wind were 20 gusting to 30, I would definitely fly the 10 and soar in the gusts. 😁
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
PurdyKiter (Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:38 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”