Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: sea anchor!

Postby foilholio » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:51 pm

Sunlight is the number one enemy of plastics of which kite fabric consists.

The easiest way to dry a kite is to fly it. And the most convenient way to fly a kite is while riding. Either extend your session to give it 10-20mins flying to dry or take it to a park to fly it, maybe land board or practice flying skills or test some adjustments on it.

Alternately unrolling a kite inside and having it loosely arranged or spaced out maybe over some things and it will dry after a few days. Even rolled up in a bag if you have it in a warm or hot location like a car or shed, and it will dry after a while. Leaving the bag open is good for that.

It is quite safe to leave a kite wet with salt water for a few weeks, but the longer you do the more likely mold will grow. It can grow in a few months or not in 6 months. Fresh water grows mold really quick, like days, good reason not to wash kites and handling the fabric damages it. If you do wash a kite dry it well.
Johhnn wrote:sand getting permanently trapped in the trailing edge
For the flysurfer folded TE seam cover that traps sand you can wash it out with a strong spray from a hose hard into it. It might be nice if they didn't use that seam cover so sand wouldn't get trapped and repairs were easier, like on PL arcs.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:34 am

Johhnn wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:32 pm
What downunder writes about the kite not being able to be relaunched after a swim is not correct. I've done this. After getting the water out, I've launched and flown the kite to dry it, then continued with my session. He is correct about sand getting permanently trapped in the trailing edge, however. This is only a minor nuisance.
I like the design of the Soul as the Chambers stop about an inch from the trailing edge so any sand (once dry) will move to the bottom of the kite and then out the drain vents if you leave them open for a session when looping. This did not occur on my Hyperlink and it was more difficult to flush the sand out.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:05 am

@edt: when you're riding, the sun hits the kite but the tissue temperature is low. When you leave the kite under direct sun, in a couple of minutes the exposed side becomes very hot. This is a problem for the water repellent coating, for the graphics, for the tissue.

Return to “Foil Kites”