Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New aquatik single skin by Conceptair

Postby merl » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:32 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:17 am
Any European dealers?

For us here in Denmark we have to add about 28 % to the CAD price for vat/customs, plus shipment :roll:

That makes the price for a 4 m2 907 euro.

Still not much though, but compared to 4 m2 Peak4 we can buy for 536 euro here, it is 70 % more.

Could be interesting to know more about the differences, and fly one of course :D

8) Peter
Agreed shipment and fees makes these a bit pricey for us in EU. What you get is a peak-like feeling with great drift (but not quite as good as the peak) and slightly bigger range (but not as big as the CA Wave). I guess the key difference is water relaunch - but I have never crashed it, so it feels a bit like I have paid for a feature that I am not using!
These users thanked the author merl for the post:
Peter_Frank (Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

gl
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:23 pm

I have the 4 metre Firefly and the 4.5 metre wave. They feel quite different. The Firefly drifts a little better. It's sits a little further back in the wind window. It has less of a power spike when diving it. Everything feels softer and a little less of direct. I like it alot for use on a mountain board on a beach or on a hydrofoil as it doesn't pull me around as sharply. The 4 meter does not flap much depowered when compared to the 6. The 4.5 wave has a bigger comfortable range and generates more power when diving it. When you leave it depowered directly above you it has less downwind pull. I launch and land my kites from the water almost all the time as we have no beach. The Firefly is easier to drift launch and land. Once it's on the water it's easier to keep it there. The wave just wants to be in the air and if it's windy you have to pull one front line to flag it out and keep it down without a lot of pull. I prefer the wave on surfboards.I am not sure but feel the firefly has a slightly better low wind range. I can leave the firefly on the water much longer and still relaunch it. It does not seem to take on much water in the closed cell section. I like both kites they just feel quite different.
These users thanked the author gl for the post:
br44 (Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:00 pm

gl wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:23 pm
I have the 4 metre Firefly and the 4.5 metre wave. They feel quite different. The Firefly drifts a little better. It's sits a little further back in the wind window. It has less of a power spike when diving it. Everything feels softer and a little less of direct. I like it alot for use on a mountain board on a beach or on a hydrofoil as it doesn't pull me around as sharply. The 4 meter does not flap much depowered when compared to the 6. The 4.5 wave has a bigger comfortable range and generates more power when diving it. When you leave it depowered directly above you it has less downwind pull. I launch and land my kites from the water almost all the time as we have no beach. The Firefly is easier to drift launch and land. Once it's on the water it's easier to keep it there. The wave just wants to be in the air and if it's windy you have to pull one front line to flag it out and keep it down without a lot of pull. I prefer the wave on surfboards.I am not sure but feel the firefly has a slightly better low wind range. I can leave the firefly on the water much longer and still relaunch it. It does not seem to take on much water in the closed cell section. I like both kites they just feel quite different.
Thanks for the info. I also have the Wave 4.5, and do like it quite a bit. I drift launched the Wave several times, without fail (in shallow water). So it seems a tough decision, with apparently one of the most relevant features to me being the easier landing. Because I had one issue last year, in 30+ mph wind, when the Wave wouldn’t want to land, and kept pulling even when flagged to a front line.

gl
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:46 pm

If you were trying to land the 4 metre Firefly in very high winds, even though you can pull the back lines and land on its tail it will still be pulling quite hard. You will need to flag it out on one line. I have had it pulling moderately hard and I was afraid I would damaged it so I flagged it out. It does seem to pull less than the Wave once flagged out.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:34 pm

stefFZ wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:45 am
slowboat wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:12 am
What is your self landing technique with this kite?
I can answer that one :-) Just pull the back lines and it will fall down from the sky, completely closed. It is easier than the wave with its double skins and no brake lines (v. Good for snowkiting, I will be able to pack it without removing the skis in steep slopes (I also do that with the waves but it will be even easier)

Stéphane Goffinet with his FF 2.5

Looks like fun :thumb:

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:17 pm

Any reviews of the Firefly 8m?
Can it compete with the Peak4 in lightwind foiling?
I'm looking for a 6-15 knot waterrelaunchable and fast turning kite.

gl
Medium Poster

Postby gl » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:47 pm

I did a review of the 8 metre Firefly back in September. I don't think you have any chance of going in 6 to 8 knots with it. Here is the link to the review I did:viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2407886

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:34 pm

gl wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:47 pm
I did a review of the 8 metre Firefly back in September. I don't think you have any chance of going in 6 to 8 knots with it. Here is the link to the review I did:viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2407886
I have 12m gong strutless that works from 7-12 knots foiling. I can foil it sometimes when it can't be stationary at 12. I keep it flying and do a doubleloop start to get up and away on the foil. It's a very small window that workr on a beam reach. Upvind and downwind the range is a bit better. However deepwater relaunch works from 9-10 knots and more.

I'm trying to find the best lightwind water relaunchable kite on the market for freefoiling.

gl
Medium Poster

Postby gl » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:03 pm

I have concept air pulsions in 9 and 12 m. They both start earlier than the 8 metre Firefly. I can also drift launch them in similar winds to the Firefly. The only downside to those kites are that if they sit in the water for long in light winds I can no longer water relaunch them whereas the Firefly would still go up. Having said that as soon as there's enough wind to ride the Firefly I would rather be on it. for my style of riding I prefer it.

gl
Medium Poster

Postby gl » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:04 pm

I have concept air pulsions in 9 and 12 m. They both start earlier than the 8 metre Firefly. I can also drift launch them in similar winds to the Firefly. The only downside to those kites are that if they sit in the water for long in light winds I can no longer water relaunch them whereas the Firefly would still go up. Having said that as soon as there's enough wind to ride the Firefly I would rather be on it. for my style of riding I prefer it.

Return to “Foil Kites”