Rare Poster
Local Beach: waiheke
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Mikes Lab, Ozone V2
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: foil kite catcher

Postby mike pepper » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:44 am

I have been testing my umbrella catcher this winter. It works well, & on a deserted beach in 20kts gives me a level of confidence I can safely finish my session. I’ve shared it with a friend of mine down country who kites alone a lot as well and we have both tested several permutations on the umbrella.
The umbrella has a couple of advantages- like it folds up & packs away to nothing’s but it also has two key problems. It lasts about 3-4 months before the corrosion has set in & it starts to get floppy. And then the arms r only about 300mm of the ground. Despite it having 8 arms we found we only needed one to cat h the kite.
In the attached photo you can see my second permutation which worked- a coat hanger straightened out. Advantageous is it was higher off the ground, but it Is also so fine it’s hard to see from 12m and accurately judge where to place the kite.
The 3rd & so far favourite option is a re purpose electric fence stake. It’s higher again off the ground, easier to see from a distance has a much larger crook to catch lines & has no moving parts that deteriorate. Has plastic loop end which we trim to form a crook with no sharp edges. Brand is Gallagher . & here in Aotearoa u can get them from most hardware stores
Attachments
E617B882-FEC9-4CED-8CB7-061C96F953FC.jpeg
51F3E149-1772-42AD-BFAC-6510EC91018A.jpeg
4982D7A7-00C4-42E9-A550-353855EC5C3F.png

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:40 am

Keep it up let us know how it works in high wind

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:10 am

I would not use this with high wind. That’s a lot of stress on bridle lines that are designed for that. I’d expect uneven wear in the very least.

mike pepper
Rare Poster
Local Beach: waiheke
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Mikes Lab, Ozone V2
Been thanked: 0

Postby mike pepper » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:22 am

Your right- It would be a lot of strain on the lines of the stake was concerted into the ground & you continued to power the kite up. One time I did do that & the kite tore the stake & the two sandbags up in the air with it- not a good situation! As soon as you hook a line you have to push the bar away from you to depower it - just as you would when someone is catching the kite. Then the kite just lays out flat downwind & you saunter over to the kite. (Well I usually canter)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:50 pm

Well, there you go....That is weird. But possibly useful for some.
It screams out insane tangles to me in high winds.
In light winds, ya don't need one.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:11 am

Another option for people super concerned with landing is to just add a fifth line with a well placed stop. The flysurfer line guide with a tiny hole so it stops at the line join is good.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:03 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:10 am
I would not use this with high wind. That’s a lot of stress on bridle lines that are designed for that. I’d expect uneven wear in the very least.
if the kite is flagged shouldn't be any stress on the bridle. I mean nobody needs new ways to land in light wind. Anything works in light wind. What we need is better self landing in high winds

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:31 am

Off the top of my head, if self landing using the brake handle or flagging the kite is not an option.
A net supported by a couple of "long" upright poles that you can back stall the kite into. (A football goal for example) © :D
You just need the kite to be secured long enough while you do a 25m dash to retrieve it.
To date, I have always managed to either self land or had someone catch my kite being the preferred option when the wind has picked up.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Purdykiter

How's Mexico? We started using depower foils at a similar time and for some reason ended up discussing how to use braking to backstall landing and walking the lines etc on this thread.

Having gained some experience I am using the following. Kite at edge of window trim out. Gather brake lines to middle of bar above the center line and then hand over hand to balls or brake handle knots without too much pulling in. Then I hold the balls or knots in the bottom hand and grab the top brake line with the top hand. I then pull the brakes on hard with extra top line braking from the top hand to rotate the kite down as I run across and into wind to stop the kite sliding across the beach. If I am next to my anchor bag I tether if not I walk the lines gathering all 4 lines keeping the brakes applied. (I ignore the handle except for tethering so I am used to handling rigs that only have balls.)

If I am braking from somewhere near the zenith I brake with one hand and use the free hand to control out any unwanted rotation with a tug on the appropriate brake line.

What's working for you?

Regards Herman

Return to “Foil Kites”