Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: foil kite catcher

Postby PurdyKiter » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Herman wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:37 pm
PurdyKiter

Does your stall strap have a small section of the brake load line poking out at the centre of the webbing strap?
Used to be red line covered in clear tube.
I'll look again at it. i purchased the bar a month ago. Ozone Foil Race bar.
https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp ... _v4&cat=46

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana

Postby PurdyKiter » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:54 pm

Herman wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:37 pm
PurdyKiter

Does your stall strap have a small section of the brake load line poking out at the centre of the webbing strap?
Used to be red line covered in clear tube.
Here's the bar. Super pricey. More I've even invested in a bar. Ozone Foil Race bar. No centering loop on the brake strap. I wonder if it's worth adding something DIY?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:14 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:28 pm
Kristan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:14 pm
foilholio wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:57 pm
I personally though don't have the need for this type of thing as I can land a million ways.
Ok, here is the situation: You have a narrow beach line, less than 10 meters, beyond that is road, where cars ride from time to time. On the other hand water is filled with algae and weed. And nobody to assist you with landing. How do you land?
And I'd add to the hypothetical that the wind is 25+ knots. I have no trouble self-landing in lighter wind (as shown in the video), but self-landing gets more complicated in higher winds, especially if you don't want to end up with tangled lines. (To the OP, let's see another video of your device in 25+ knots.) :thumb:
Backstall and or fifth line, with another option to get the kite wet. I would usually be on a 6m in 25 knots so no issue. Fifth line is the solution to any landing related fears.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:40 pm

PurdyKiter

The main point of my posts was my perception of the benefits of using both hands on the brakes. Tethering was secondary and stems from my limited experience with ozone snow kites. I generally kite alone and find tethering useful.

I do not see why the tethering process should not transfer to water kites but I don't have practical proof. If you wish to modify your brake it would only be worthwhile if you know your kite will sit happily tethered. Then hopefully that your bar has the right amount of brake, too much and the trailing edge will flap up and this can unsettle the kite.

In practice you may not need a mod for a centre attachment. I always used to just loop the strap around a tether and with the line tensioned never had a problem. The only problem I encountered was setting up with brake strap tethered and pulling kite out of the bag to let the wind unroll the kite, the way I pack the kite allows me to do this in light winds. Because the lines were not tensioned the brake slipped to one side and the kite would not sit. No big deal but it made me think about possible tethering problems! You are not going to be doing that so may not need a mod.

I am a major fan of tethering but that is unusual for my area. If nobody chimes in with more experience with water foils it might be worth starting a new thread on the subject. Bear in mind that many foils do not even have a break strap.

Of course in strong wind you will be flagging out to your safety to land, I still like to tether in this case rather than just walk the flagging/5th line. Obviously the tether goes to the flagging line in this case.

One last point you will only be doing down wind launches in very light wind. Unless the kite has been preinflated asymmetric breaking will probably be irrelevant compared to getting the kite up and inflated, there are videos on this. The Liquid Force Elite ram air foil kite video on YouTube is well worth a look as are some of the ozone vids of course.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
PurdyKiter (Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:23 am)
Rating: 3.03%

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana

Postby PurdyKiter » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:23 am

Herman wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:40 pm
PurdyKiter

The Liquid Force Elite ram air foil kite video on YouTube is well worth a look as are some of the ozone vids of course.
Thank You, Very helpful when he shows both walking up the two steering/brake lines, as well as just a simply OMG flag-out when needed. Now I feel more confident.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:48 am

In real life expect a bit of a pull when you start the back stall, just commit to it. If both hands are on the brakes you will not be succured into trying to control any rotation of the kite with the bar. If you not used to flying a kite backwards get yourself some time on a 4 line kite with handles and practice backstall landings and reverse launching.

Personally I have not found any advantage in stalling from a wingtip as you are more likely to get a tacko tangle and when land boarding you can stall down from the zenith while on the move. Water kites hold air much more and may be better at stalling off the tip than a snow kite. Perhaps you could ask that question in a new thread, zenith or wingtip for your kite type.

The ozone vid I saw just shows a backstall from the zenith and brake strap plus chicken looped around a ground steak. They relied on kite tension to keep the brake in place.

Good luck in Mexico!
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
PurdyKiter (Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:33 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:00 pm

Herman wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:40 pm
Jason

Have you got any system for tethering when using balls or do you just walk the lines?
It’s easy, just use your safety lease clip above the balls to tether. I also include the front lines so I have the correct amount of backstall in.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post (total 3):
Herman (Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:55 pm) • PurdyKiter (Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:36 pm) • foilholio (Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:29 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks Adventure Logs. The penny has dropped. I can also visualise how to tune the amount of brake that is applied. At last I can see the advantages of having balls.

mike pepper
Rare Poster
Local Beach: waiheke
Gear: Mikes Lab, Ozone V2
Been thanked: 0

Postby mike pepper » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:42 pm

BRILLIANT! Thanks for sharing. I’m going to make one & test at my local beach. At the moment I park my kite in a largish shrub then spend 20 minutes untangling the kite lines from all the branches.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:15 pm

mike pepper wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:42 pm
BRILLIANT! Thanks for sharing. I’m going to make one & test at my local beach. At the moment I park my kite in a largish shrub then spend 20 minutes untangling the kite lines from all the branches.

gosh,
now i understand why everyone hasnt already switched over to foil kites (yet)

i assume everyone has seen this ozone classic

Return to “Foil Kites”