Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Peak 4 fifth line bridal removal

For all foil kite riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Peak 4 fifth line bridal removal

Postby tomtom » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:30 am

So maybe tune lenght so it doesnt deform tip cell...
Anyway i would like to have FS response. Anybody???

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:54 am

tomtom wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:06 pm
Red one b safe. To foilhoilio. It is under quite tension inflight so it do something. I speculate if it is like on old lei cabrinha contra where it serve to stabilize arc. But maybe it just whole kite is little stretched and this line is too short for this new shape. Do not know. It looks ok disconected.
It is clearly a pure safety system. It's is similar to open cell foils that have a line inside to collapse the kite, like from Ozone.

Video clearly states the line is sliding through rings in each cell.

The line when original would have no tension. Like the fifth line on flysurfers which are under no tension, they will shrink and become under tension. You can see this on flysurfer kites that the middle becomes pulled. The forces causing the line to shrink are obviously greater than the aerodynamic forces caused by distorting the canopy. They either reach a balance and stop or the line just won't shrink much more, or both.

The line could in theory be used to form part of the kits structure, but that is highly unlikely. It is only attached at the tips and is primary function is a safety line like similar systems on other kites.

There is no risk disconnecting it other than to not having a safety line. If it is structural it is not integral, and the fact it will shrink will ruin the kite somewhat.
tomtom wrote:So maybe tune lenght so it doesnt deform tip cell...
Yes you could but rather than go on and on on the forum why not just disconnect it so it is slack and fly the kite. Discover for yourself exactly what it does. I don't have a Peak 4 so can only offer from what I can find and my experience.
tomtom wrote:Anyway i would like to have FS response. Anybody???
Flysurfer general does not get involved in things out side the normal design of the kite. Armin did respond to my Z mod picture so, maybe. Again you can simply disconnect and fly and all should be revealed. Kite design is not quite rocket design.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:59 am

It is almost certainly as Foilholio says. Disoonnected i saw no difference other than non distorted tips. But from memory recollection it was under tension from new kite thats why i was thinking that maybe it is structural part.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:03 am

Armin says they include an extension for when the fifth line shrinks. He also shows the B safety in detail, it is just that a safety line.

Removing the whole thing will reduce drag and weight, so improve performance.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:56 am

tomtom wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:59 am
It is almost certainly as Foilholio says. Disoonnected i saw no difference other than non distorted tips. But from memory recollection it was under tension from new kite thats why i was thinking that maybe it is structural part.
Could be a nice improvement on an already great kite. Thanks for initiating this. FS will never publicly OK this modification. Maybe you can contact them directly and ask "unofficially"?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:21 pm

The path to modding starts like this. Amazingly even Flysurfer has things that must go. Naish is the king, I think they just like leaving spare parts on their kites lol. My A15 manages much better now without a WHOLE bridle row C lol. Designer missed that one. Or should I say added it.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Now im little confused. There is line on line plane call strap 0,1,2 etc which is on same place than b safe line but on differen bridle row. This line is clearly structural and stabilize leading edge cells. Maybe b safe is structural too. I think without this lines some portion of bar movement is transfered to flaten c shape instead of direct aoa change. Just speculation though...

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:46 pm

Don´t remove the B-Saft0 and 1 Line that is at the canopy. That line with it tension until the wingtips give you more resistance against collapses.

Cheers, Armin
These users thanked the author Armin Harich for the post:
ieism (Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:04 am)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:06 pm

Many thanks!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:39 am

So what Armin is saying is the Peak 4 when new has too unstable tips and the B safety line is designed to eventually shrink and apply tension and so stabilize the tips more.

I am confused are people not happy with kite new? In videos where no such tension can be seen?

As well, stabilizing the tips will slow the kite more particularly in turns.

You could remove the fifth line and associated bridle, surely that is not designed to tension.

Flysurfer ring tip lines 2.0, even longer with added fifth line just in case they don't shrink enough,lol.

Return to “Foil Kites”