Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FS Unity 10 bridle adjustments.

For all foil kite riders
HaylingBilly
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Hayling Island U.K.
Favorite Beaches: Gotta be Hayling Island...
Gear: Slingshot Lift Foil, Liquid Force 12m solo, FS Sonic11 & 15, Naish Pivot 10m, Best TS 10m, Blade Trigger 7m, FS Unity 10, FS Peak4 8.
Moses Onda, Lift/Slingshot NF2
Brand Affiliation: None

FS Unity 10 bridle adjustments.

Postby HaylingBilly » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:37 pm

Hi,
I have bought a FS Unity 10 Deluxe in pretty good condition for very little money. I have used it 3 times with a hydrofoil now and feel that it may not be the complete dog of a design that some people have alluded to; its certainly nothing like the Sonics that i also have! It produces very little power spike when downlooped, goes upwind about as well as a tube kite the same size and comes back downwind drifting slightly better. I bought it mainly to snowkite with next winter and I feel it will do that job very nicely and remove any need for me to carry a pump up a mountain!
Has anyone here had experience altering the bridle? There just seems to be a lot of extra lines on the kite. I am thinking of removing the "anti-inversion" SA1,2 and SZ0,1,2 lines from the front and rear along with reducing the number of Z brake attachments (there are 15! Z attachments each side :o ) I tried removing the 5th line safety, but the kite span like a windmill when released onto 1 front line.....5th line is now back on.
My hope would be to remove some of the line drag from the kite, as well as a few grams, without greatly affecting the flight. I will not be using it for twintipping of with a surfboard, just on a foil or snow.
Thanks in advance, your thoughts please.
HB
These users thanked the author HaylingBilly for the post:
PugetSoundKiter (Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:11 pm)
Rating: 10%

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Re: FS Unity 10 bridle adjustments.

Postby Flyfish » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:43 am

Hey Billie,
I agree. My opinion is that they are not that horrible either. I don't twin tip. I just use them for the drifting with surf boards.

Yes, I have fully removed the anti inversion bridals off of My unity's. It's a rediculus amount of needless lines. I think it's useless.
I also removed the 5th line as well. I never tried to flag them out, but I can't stand the drag they produce. So none for me.
As far as the Z line attach. I personally left them all there. But if you find otherwise, please post your experience, I'll pull them too.
One more thing I do is pull the "hard/soft" steering lines off. It frees up the bridals and seems to open them up easier.

Hope that helps
These users thanked the author Flyfish for the post (total 2):
HaylingBilly (Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:43 am) • PugetSoundKiter (Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:11 pm)
Rating: 20%

HaylingBilly
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Hayling Island U.K.
Favorite Beaches: Gotta be Hayling Island...
Gear: Slingshot Lift Foil, Liquid Force 12m solo, FS Sonic11 & 15, Naish Pivot 10m, Best TS 10m, Blade Trigger 7m, FS Unity 10, FS Peak4 8.
Moses Onda, Lift/Slingshot NF2

Postby HaylingBilly » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks Flyfish, I cant download the manual from FS as the file doesn't want to open in Adobe for some reason or other. What do you mean by the Hard/soft steering lines; are you referring to WAC? lines? as i don't think mine has any, just the standard mixer that i am used to from other FS kites.
I will probably go back to 4 lines with a front flag now that i have the kite flying straight and trimmed as I also dislike the added drag of the 5th and it adds complexity to any tangles....
Next time out I will start to reduce the Z count, I am thinking, every other cell, in line with the A,B,C bridle attachments.
HB

PugetSoundKiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:45 pm

HaylingBilly wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:43 am
I cant download the manual from FS as the file doesn't want to open in Adobe for some reason or other. :desperado:
:pirate:
unity_10_Page_1.jpg
unity_10_Page_2.jpg
These users thanked the author PugetSoundKiter for the post:
HaylingBilly (Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:17 am)
Rating: 10%

PugetSoundKiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:08 pm

HB - I have a 10m Unity DLX too and downloaded the manual some years ago.
I noticed the FS website download does not work for this file now, so I posted it for you above.
I'm interested to hear what you think about using it with a foilboard.
Also design critiquing, most of the load is on the A-Lines, which only has count of 6 on each side...
And I think you're correct, 15 Z-Lines per side is overkill.
Since it is not a lightwind kite I have not modified any bridles.
I like 5th lines for self landing in winds strong enough that I can't backstall land the foil kite.
I was convinced to try the kite when I saw one barely used and found this strapless video, enjoy
:tv:

Return to “Foil Kites”