Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Using lines from one brand of kite on a different brand?

For all foil kite riders
Gavsquito
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: I'm inland :)
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Durban
Ponta D'Oura
Gear: Flexifoil Blade 4.9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Using lines from one brand of kite on a different brand?

Postby Gavsquito » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:03 pm

Hello all,

Possibly a stupid question, but I thought I would rather ask than try it out and waste money and potentially do some damage.

So I've been kiting for a few months, started on a Cross trainer ( 2.5m), which while it was great to learn on, got kinda boring unless the winds were 20+. I've moved on to a blade 4.9 which is a lot more fun, and I treat with a great deal of respect after throwing it around in the window exactly once..

Anyway, I'm looking at picking up a PKD century Soulfly 3.5 to take the place of the smaller kite, and one that I have seen comes as a kite only, no bars, no lines. Would I be able to use the lines and handles from the blade and fly the soulfly, or are they totally incompatible? I've looked for topics around lines and stuff, but nothing comes up about using different lines on different kite brands. I'd assume it would work, but I don't want to buy a cool little kite and wreck it because I screwed up the lines :D

Thanks for indulging my noobishness!

Herman
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Re: Using lines from one brand of kite on a different brand?

Postby Herman » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 pm

Yes. Kites are usually designed to fly on even length line. You may have to play around with leaders and pigtails to fine tune.

Changing from handles to bar is not straightforward and is not advisable for all fixed bridle kites but as you intend to stick with handles I would expect it to be fine!

Handles are ok but if you want to get into kitesurfing or landboarding I would go for a depower foil or LEI and bar rather than a fixed bridle kite on handles. Some prefer handles for a buggy.

Gavsquito
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: I'm inland :)
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Durban
Ponta D'Oura
Gear: Flexifoil Blade 4.9
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Using lines from one brand of kite on a different brand?

Postby Gavsquito » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Thanks so much! I ended up going with an RTF 3.5 rage with a bar for learning to landboard, I spent the weekend playing with the kite and hopping on to a board.. just not getting pulled that much but I think the wind was too light. I think once I can get trundling along, I'll go for proper lessons and learn how to landboard with a depower kite.

Once again, thanks for the info

Return to “Foil Kites”