Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone hyperlink pulling to one side; speed system problem?

For all foil kite riders
Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone hyperlink pulling to one side; speed system problem?

Postby Breze » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:27 pm

To sum it up
Shop checked and flew the Kite one week ago
Rider is new to foils
Kite is turning left, with 15cm pulled down right side of the bar it is neutral
Mixer is minimal uneven and shoud steer right, if any steering
Bar is checked and works with ozher kites

Third reply:
pmaggie wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:33 pm
Recheck the bridles, one by one. A little quite invisibile knot in the right position can have tragic effects.
This is it, for sure
Every new foilkiter has that experience. With some time you will detect such bridal loops just by optical checking the flying kite

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:47 pm

A more precise measurement at home gave me a surprising but less dramatic result: seems like the mixer is still within the limit.
And all A, B and C lines match up.

More surprising: folding the kite I found out that the zipper of the first cell left of centre was opened instead of closed! I didn't think of inspecting all the zippers before flying the kite. And of course I'm not even sure if it would even influence the flight. It was probably open when the shop tested it last week.
But apparently I was lucky out on the water because I crashed the kite a couple of times, it could have easily filled..

Hope to do a test tomorrow!
88BBC6E5-360C-40E6-AFA9-5AFD95A724D2.jpeg
88BBC6E5-360C-40E6-AFA9-5AFD95A724D2.jpeg (124.17 KiB) Viewed 1455 times

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:23 pm

Well it was probably the zip. The mixer looks slightly out but it could just be for the photo, that amount though should not cause problems. That way of checking the mixer might not pick up the problem though, I would do it like I described. As well your front lines should be checked properly.
Breze wrote: Kite is turning left, with 15cm pulled down right side of the bar it is neutral
Missed that bit. 15cm/4 =3.75cm, If the front line were out by 3.75cm that would result in the bar being pulled 15cm more on one side. I would think the bar would sit crooked untouched like that.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:18 pm

I've been flying my V1 Hyperlink UL 9m 200+ hours for over 2 years. Haven't adjusted anything.
Still flys perfectly. My new V1 7m had a very slight tendency to want to pull left right out of the bag with brand new bar and lines. After 3-4 sessions it stopped doing it.
I agree you should check the bridles carefully.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:17 pm

An update after a day on the water:

Unfortunately the problem still exists with the zipper closed and carefully checking all the bridles.

But because today the wind slowly picked up from 13-15 knots to 20-25 knots I found out that there is a big difference in how the kite flies depowered vs powered.

When powered it slightly pulls to the left, but depowered it's like the first time I used it: I need to continually keep pressure on the right side of the bar to keep it flying straight. Depowering with my steering lines totally slack it immediately starts to turn left. Sheeting in totally I still need to correct it a little.

I'll have to measure up all the lines now I guess, but would appreciate any ideas on how to fix this.

Most importantly: I really enjoyed the kite on my foil in winds from 13 till 20 knts. It behaved a lot better than my LEIs, so much more stability in the turns and especially moving downwind towards the kite when riding swells it excelled. And I was pleasantly surprised I could handle so much wind with it.

Switching to my regular board in winds of 20-25 knts there was great boosting and hangtime.

I really wonder what the low-end will be for me on foil but this kite seems to makes an excellent one kite quiver already!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:42 am

Honestly I don't know what else to do, other than maybe do a video or hold your hand through it. I have explained how to find/fix the problem but it just doesn't seem to get through. Maybe I am being too brief as I have explained this a few times on this forum. Let me try explain again.

To solve asymmetric flight you are merely comparing one side to the other. You are not measuring anything you are just comparing each side against the other, and then making adjustments if necessary to make them the same length. Of critical importance is the FRONT LINES, then the A mains and finally the B mains. There is a critical way of checking all these. The front lines are compared at the kite end while attached to the bar in case the bar disturbs the symmetry. You must compare the front lines under a good amount of tension which is exactly the same for each side. You will need a device to do this. A rope through a pulley will divide the tension. You attach each end of the rope to a front line at the kite end and pull on the pulley.

As to comparing the A mains and B mains, you do that by securing ONLY the front mains/pigtails together, (not the rear mains/pigtails) . I like to use a screw driver through them into the ground but you can do it however you want. You pull on the A Mains above their end at the kite and compare their ends to each other. You do the same for the B mains.

Any difference in either the Front lines, A mains or B mains nearly always will make the kite fly to one side. The more the difference the more it will fly to one side. Even 1mm can be noticeable.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 pm

Well, maybe I still don't understand completely and a video could be a good idea.
But how I understand your suggestions is that I first check my front/flying/centre lines from my bar to the kite tensioned with a pulley.
I did that and found 5 mm difference. But switching the lines left and right on the kite yesterday made no difference and I would expect it to turn right if this was the cause.
Comparing A and B depowered and under tension I also find no difference.

So I guess that leaves something in the bridle or canopy.

Long story short: I just arranged with the shop to switch it for another used hyperlink they have, and asked them to measure the speedsystem before sending it.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:38 pm

Take a picture from Kiter’s view of the canopy in the air.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Ok well me personally I would fix the 5mm, but it is not a lot for a front line. If you thought you needed the pulley for A and B that is not what I said, it was just for the front lines. Because front lines are so long, small changes in tension equal large changes in length. For A and B you can just use even tension felt at the hands, which should be good enough.

Given you have checked the front lines, A and B mains and are happy with them, you now move to the canopy and check all the A then B bridles left to right against each other. I usually stand in the middle and work 2 bridles being 1 from each side together then outwards towards the tips.

As to the canopy, you could have something broken internally. You may be able to see it if you look carefully when flying otherwise you can pull on the fabric between cells and see if they move differently. You should be able to feel the straps inside. The only thing that will really be obvious that I think will cause the kite to fly to one side is broken cell walls. You pull the top and bottom skin at the seams and they should come apart. In flight though this should be obvious as part of the kite will be more puffy. It might not be obvious if you are new to foils though.

If all that fails to turn up a problem, you have only left to alter the canopy by putting pleats in one side. You want to be extra sure it is not the lines or bridles before altering the canopy, because you can alter the canopy and actually counter for a bridle or line problem. I would check all the bridles and lines first before sewing any changes.

I would not be surprised if the canopy is the problem as it is surprisingly common and would be highly likely why the kite was sold. Foils are complicated and as such errors result in their making. A common one is that the sewing machines when grabbing two pieces of fabric cause those pieces to diverge slowly in alignment. The result is quite a difference when the sewer arrives at the end of a long run like when attaching cells together. A slight twist in the kite results, the angle from cell to cell has been changed or maybe the shape or camber is changed. The result is mainly a kite that flies to one side depowered, powered the bridles can correct the kite. The hallmark of a deformed canopy is that as the wind gets stronger so too does the bias flight, it can become impossible to make the kite fly straight at some point.

Don't fret though because all can be fixed. Even kites which have flown perfectly straight can experience damage, repairs or maybe just ageing that causes the canopy to bias. To make them perfect again so too must their canopy be altered. I have become quite sensitive to kites that don't fly neutral maybe because of surfing or tricks but I just don't like any bias. I will tune a kite out down to 0.5mm from lines to bridles and then alter the canopy. The result is perfectly centered flight, the kites hang a zenith. You can actually fine turn the bias of the canopy by comparing the descent of the kite from zenith left to right. When the speed is the same the bias is perfect.

Luchini
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Boost
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Luchini » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:10 pm

As i had a Kite like this, i would also suggest it's a strap broken/ripped between the cells, i just saw it when i was flyng my kite against the sun. It's depening on the colour.

Return to “Foil Kites”