Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone hyperlink pulling to one side; speed system problem?

For all foil kite riders
flying doctor
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone hyperlink pulling to one side; speed system problem?

Postby flying doctor » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:28 pm

Hope someone can help me out with the following:

I bought a used hyperlink V1 9m for what seemed to be a good price from a local shop.
My aim is to use it for foiling but I had the chance to try it out yesterday in 20-25 knots on a TT.

First time for me on a foil kite and luckily someone helped me out on the beach with the launch.

On the water I immediately noticed the kite pulling to the left. Did a 30 min session continually keeping the right side of the bar 15cm in to compensate.
Managed to do some big jumps and was overall pleased with the upwind capabilities and handling apart from the aforementioned problem.

I did call the shop and they say they tested the kite last week and found it to have no problems.

today I couldn't detect a visible problem with the bridles and found no sand in the kite so I did a search here on the forum and came across the speed system check that Gunnar describes.

Could the alignment on the right be that far off to cause such a problem?
B17A2D76-A8B0-483D-9281-4E813173BA76.jpeg
Attachments
D045D60D-694C-4F1B-AB49-5E3029C86F4A.jpeg

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Re: Ozone hyperlink pulling to one side; speed system problem?

Postby mgs » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:36 pm

Check that the front and back lines are of equal length.
What you have described sounds like flying line length discrepancies to me as 15cm is excessive.
As for launching, with time you will be launching it with your eyes closed :-)
Looking forward to an update on what you find.
All the best.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:44 pm

Sorry forgot to mention: I checked my lines today as well and they are of equal length. Would have been surprised if they weren't because my LEI kites fly just fine with the same bar.

I hope the launch will grow on me ;-)

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:33 pm

Recheck the bridles, one by one. A little quite invisibile knot in the right position can have tragic effects.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:47 pm

Looking at your mixer pics your kite will fly to the left when depowered. I gather the Grey lines are A, the top pulley is B and the other line is C. B is longer on the right side so it's AB limit should be greater and as such just depower more than the left side. The left side will be more powered up and so be slower and the right will fly around it. Effect is the kite turns to the left when depowered.

Lock both front mains together with a screwdriver through them into the ground, check the B limit on both sides against each other. Also check the A mains against each other.
flying doctor wrote: I checked my lines today as well and they are of equal length.
How did you check them? Because there is only one way to really be sure that they are even and it is not just by pulling them together by hand and they sort of look even. You need to put them under tension and the tension to be even to each line. You use a small rope thru a pulley and attach each line end to an end of the rope, use another rope to pull on the pulley. You will then see the actual difference in the lines. Before adjusting lines stretch them, either with the pulley setup which is hard to do or connect each line into one long line and stretch them together. You will need to check the difference in lines again before adjusting.

As to asymmetric flight to check for problems you look at flying lines, mixer, then bridles. you may want to check the mixer and bridles at the same time to be sure something in the mier isn't correcting for something in the bridle, which though unlikely is possible. You want to check the mixer in the full depowered position, as well with AZ even.

Once you have all the lines, mixer and bridle even and if you still have a problem you can alter the kite canopy.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:14 am

Look at the kite in the sky. Is there a dimple on the leading edge on the left but not right? I had a blown cell create the behavior you describe. If that is it then it’s not too bad to fix.

Also lay out the bridle again. The little loop that connects the 5th line safety is a tangled and it’s also very likely to be a twist if you are disconnecting the bar.

I think your mixer should be tuned but it’s not enough to make a 15 cm difference.

The way the mixer is presented in the photos it is difficult to know which is A B or C. On mine the topmost section of A is red. The topmost section of B and C are blue. The lower sections of A and B are red on one side and blue on the other. The lower section of C is grey.

Foilholios advice is generally good but he has A and C reverses.

Finally, mixer positions don’t mean much without also knowing what Z is doing. It’s probably shrunk.

A top question is whether the pulling behavior is more pronounced when depower or powered up. Depower to me means it’s more in the canopy and possibly uneven A lines or front flying lines. If it’s more pronounced when powered up then uneven rear lines and mixer.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:23 am

Thanks for all the feedback!

I'll do a thorough check in lighter winds one of these days and see if it helps me to pinpoint the problem.
It's all a bit daunting to me, I was hoping to try a foil and see if it would work out for me. I guess I wasn't prepared for the science that's involved in the maintenance of a foil kite. I'll follow your steps one at a time and otherwise I hope the shop can help me out.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:10 am

flying doctor wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:23 am
Thanks for all the feedback!

I'll do a thorough check in lighter winds one of these days and see if it helps me to pinpoint the problem.
It's all a bit daunting to me, I was hoping to try a foil and see if it would work out for me. I guess I wasn't prepared for the science that's involved in the maintenance of a foil kite. I'll follow your steps one at a time and otherwise I hope the shop can help me out.
do what I did to help me understand the bridal in more detail,
download the full hyperlink kite bridal layout available from the Ozone website, here it is-
https://ozonekites.com/images/uploads/p ... -Check.pdf
print off on card paper and highlight the line lengths you want to check as in Gunnars video, then keep this in a plastic sleeve and keep it in your kite bag for future use, gives you loads of confidence when you may need to check for line shrinkage, :thumb:

Tom Tom
Medium Poster

Postby Tom Tom » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:35 am

flying doctor wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:23 am
...I guess I wasn't prepared for the science that's involved in the maintenance of a foil kite. I'll follow your steps one at a time and otherwise I hope the shop can help me out.
Don't worry. The Hyperlink is a well known and very well performing kite and I am sure it is an easy fix.

Understanding the mixer is not rocket science and once you have read a little and have it in front of you it is really straight forward and easy to work with. What is important is that you lock the lines below the mixer at the same level, I use a screwdriver through the level I have marked below and the pull A tight and check B & C against the A-knot.

Remember, don't worry. Be prepared to ask the shop to supply a spare set of the lines that run through the pulleys (PB2/PC1 & PB1), they shrink with use.

Replacement is easy - https://ozone-uk.com/2017/07/replace-sp ... ley-lines/
Attachments
oz-ssv4.jpg
oz-ssv4.jpg (55.66 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
Speed_System.jpg

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:12 pm

You can actually have a matching mixer test like both all even that is then also uneven depowered and so produces asymmetric flight. The cause being uneven pulley lines.

The simplest way to check symmetry on the mixer is to lock both front mains (pigtails) together and pull on A then B, etc. A and B are the most important, you compare A vs A, B vs B, not A vs B. I usually use a screwdriver thru the front mains into the ground but you can lock them together however you want, someone can even hold them.
Tom Tom wrote: Be prepared to ask the shop to supply a spare set of the lines that run through the pulleys (PB2/PC1 & PB1), they shrink with use.
You shouldn't need to replace lines for shrink but only wear or failure.
flying doctor wrote:It's all a bit daunting to me
read this

The simplest way to check symmetry on the mixer is to lock both front mains (pigtails) together and pull on A then B, etc. A and B are the most important, you compare A vs A, B vs B, not A vs B. I usually use a screwdriver thru the front mains into the ground but you can lock them together however you want, someone can even hold them.

Yes it can be daunting, but all you are doing is comparing one side against the other. It is easier than checking your front lines, which I can guarantee you are uneven, because I can guarantee you haven't checked them right.
flying doctor wrote: I wasn't prepared for the science that's involved in the maintenance of a foil kite
Honestly the problem you have is so basic it is not really science. If I had the kite I could show you how to check it in 5 mins, have most all problems identified and maybe solve it in 5 more mins. It could get more involved and take more time but I doubt it. There is definitely a problem with your mixer from the pics, and I am certain your front lines are uneven.
jakemoore wrote: Foilholios advice is generally good but he has A and C reverses.
Well if that is the case it looks more like it would go to the right. I guess it's more the front lines then.
jakemoore wrote: Finally, mixer positions don’t mean much without also knowing what Z is doing.
Without Z they don't mean much for checking the profile ,but for symmetry it is best to compare both sides with the mixer fully depowered. A and B are the most important you rarely get bias powering as you can just steer it out easy.

Return to “Foil Kites”