themacu
Rare Poster
Gear: Custom Z type racing foil, 2015 7, 9 and 12 m^2
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

R1 V3 vs Sonic Race VMG

Postby themacu » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:05 pm

Hey guys,
Has anyone got experience to compare the performance differences between Ozone R1 V3 and Flysurfer Sonic Race VMG?
Hard to get a chance to test them out and especially compare them.
Considering this investment for winds of 7- 16 knots (3-8m/s)- a 15m^2 to train speeds for racing.

Could you compare the performance of these two kites with the F one diablo v4? What do you think of this choice?

Thank you in advance

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Re: R1 V3 vs Sonic Race VMG

Postby juanpasala » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:44 pm

I dont know about the Sonic VMG, but I can comare with the Sonic Race.
In that case Sonic Race seems to have a bit more grunt going upwind, a little more power and maybe a thad faster than the V3, however, V3 feels much more "solid" or "structured", specially whilst going downwind.
Also, V3 is much more forgiving in very gusty conditions.
Performancewise they should be comparable to diablo v4, I have not tried V4, but i ve sailed the Diablo v3, which behaves more similar to the Sonic Race tahn to the V3
These users thanked the author juanpasala for the post:
themacu (Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SparD
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Foil kites : Ozone R1V3
Tube kites : Ocean Rodeo Flite
Hydrofoil : Chubanga

Postby SparD » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:31 am

How to measure performance ?

What you can compare is the time around an upwind/downwind course.

If you do that I think you can say they are equal.
Axel, Nico and Toni are winning races on R1v3 while Theo and Florian are also winning races on VMG.
But then there are also other factors such as the foil they're riding (ML B3, B4, B5 or new levitaz proto for Flo).
The main factor remaining is of course rider ability.

But if you want to compare upwind performance, I'd say the VMG has a little advantage.

And if you want to compare downwind performance, I'd say the R1v3 has a little advantage.

Where I see a big difference between these kites is the ease of use where IMO the R1v3 wins hands down.
These users thanked the author SparD for the post:
themacu (Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:17 pm)

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:25 pm

SparD wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:31 am
How to measure performance ?

What you can compare is the time around an upwind/downwind course.

If you do that I think you can say they are equal.
Axel, Nico and Toni are winning races on R1v3 while Theo and Florian are also winning races on VMG.
But then there are also other factors such as the foil they're riding (ML B3, B4, B5 or new levitaz proto for Flo).
The main factor remaining is of course rider ability.

But if you want to compare upwind performance, I'd say the VMG has a little advantage.

And if you want to compare downwind performance, I'd say the R1v3 has a little advantage.

Where I see a big difference between these kites is the ease of use where IMO the R1v3 wins hands down.
Totally Agree

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:33 am

never flown a r1v3..

but in my hands a soul is 1000x easier to fly(fast) than a vmg
i'm simply not a good enough flying the kite to benefit from any extra upwind angles...

again..just in my hands..
if a lull hits.. or go i'm too lazy on a transition or get ahead of the vmg....or maybe too underpowered..a lull hits(again).... or really make the vmg drift for any reason.. the kite will want me and the kite to go for a swim.

remedy.. is super short lines... which means even LESS room for error.

i can go fast (enough) with a soul...and i'm not have to be the nervous wreck worrying that if i make an error...the kite will punish me a swim.

i plan to enter my 1st regatta this winter..and will more than likely fly a soul.

all that said..
i am a glutton for punishment (i kept the vmg(s)..and do use them on clean wind days)
there is the learning curve (for me at least)....but is not impossible

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:13 pm

themacu wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:05 pm
Hey guys,
Has anyone got experience to compare the performance differences between Ozone R1 V3 and Flysurfer Sonic Race VMG?
Sorry I also can't answer your question, but I think it is lost in a forum. There are maybe 10 people in the world, who will be able to feel the difference and they usualy don't hang around here. :wink:

I just can tell what a kiter who is pretty good in race style kiting said about the VMG while he normaly rides Sonic Race: The VMG he tried (not known if trimmed bad what will always make the bigger difference) felt much more complicated. Remember he normaly flies only Sonic Race. I also sometimes fly a single Sonic Race I own not because I need it, but just because I had a realy good offer and love the high grade of technology it represents. For me and my skill my Sonic² and even a Soul are the much better fitting kites which will never limit me anyhow within my skill. My highest downwind speed I had was with a Storm Voyager Wave no struter! Racing apart from top 10 is nealry 0 about the kites it is just about the skill, physical strength, courage, tactic, etc.

If you really want to compete in racing in my eyes the Sonic Race will be the much better kite as you can retrim it more easily to the max and it is certified to compete in all races.
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
themacu (Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:20 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”