Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Self-Land a Soul

Postby PurdyKiter » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:32 pm

Self Landing a Soul... without a sand-anchor?
On my Clouds I am able to hand-over-hand walk up the front lines as the kite flys on it's tip over at 6 or 9 on the beach. Do you think with a Soul I could reverse land with the steering line strap on my Ozona foil bar, then walk up hand-over-hand to the Soul as it sits trailing edge down?
This is on a wide sandy deserted Mexican beach.
I'm trying to justify purchasing and carrying a sand anchor for the bridle-trap-hook method or not.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Re: Self-Land a Soul

Postby andylc » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:40 pm

I liked using a sand anchor but you can also walk up to the kite keeping tension on the back lines.
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
PurdyKiter (Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:49 pm

I do it most of the time with my Soul and Speed 5 in light to moderate winds. Once the kite is trailing edge down, I unhook and leave the bar on the sand, walking hand over hand to the kite, making sure I keep a good grip on all lines so they do not slip. When I get to the mixers I will release one side and quickly work my way to the wing tip. In high winds I opt for an assisted landing. As a last resort I release to the FLS.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
PurdyKiter (Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:25 pm)

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:56 pm

I walk to the kite hand over hand holding all four kite lines and ultimately the complete bridle as I get close to the kite. It works for my underpowered riding and creates the least flogging as the kite sits parked on its trailing edge.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
PurdyKiter (Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:25 pm)

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster

Postby PurdyKiter » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:30 pm

Thanks All for your answers. This is on our marginal winds Mexico beach near Manzanillo. I'd not try this in the Columbia River Gorge
Boca de Iguanas, Jalisco, Mexico:

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:21 pm

walking along the lines sounds well dodgy to me , what if the kite starts flapping about aggressively and pulls it from under your foot, what then , I have always brought down on the back lines , I'm back kiting after an illness break and I been bringing my souls on the back lines , but i'm still fine tuning this , I always used to do it by giving a good tug to get it decending and then i let it back a bit to slow the decent so as not to bash the beach hard , i'm a land boarder and often fly on my own , and when there are kitesurfers , they have to set up one end of the beach and I have to fly down the far end supposeably out of everybodies way

I did wonder weather to pull the trim fully in to low power , just before I drop the kite,to slow it down what do you peeps think

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:11 pm

slide wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:21 pm
I did wonder weather to pull the trim fully in to low power , just before I drop the kite,to slow it down what do you peeps think
I land my Soul with full power trim (trim line all the way out). This gives your back lines more control over the kite when you pull them in to land. If you pull the trim line fully in to low power, then you'll need to pull the back lines in that much further to compensate for the relatively shorter front lines.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster

Postby PurdyKiter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:17 pm

My question is not necessarily how to land the Soul, but it's a question of whether anyone here walks up to the Soul hand-over-hand holding the back (steering) lines in tension. Our beach is wide open and there's really nothing available as an anchor to hook to.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:55 pm

thx for the reply on the trim , and I carry my own stainless steel stake , and I recently brought some landing lines off slav ,with a loop on each end , and put the loop over the plastic ball's and works well as the kite sits on the ground nicely and if i'm going to be a while i'll put some sand on the trailing edge- I 've never liked the fls

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:27 pm

PurdyKiter wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:17 pm
My question is not necessarily how to land the Soul, but it's a question of whether anyone here walks up to the Soul hand-over-hand holding the back (steering) lines in tension.
Once I backstall my Soul to the beach, I usually walk hand over hand holding the back steering lines. However, I've found that the Soul doesn't behave as nicely as my FS Speed 4 when I just hold the back lines. While the Speed sits quietly on the beach while I work my way to the bridles holding just the 2 back lines, the Soul (esp. in stronger wind) occasionally lifts a few feet and twists around a bit. That's why (I think) others have said it's best to approach the Soul hand over hand holding all 4 lines (with more slack on the center lines, of course). Holding all 4 lines seems to increase the stability of the Soul as it sits on the beach during the approach.
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
PurdyKiter (Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:04 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”