Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rolling vs Concertina folding Soul

For all foil kite riders
seglarn98
Rare Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:22 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Traveling, doing an olympic campaign in Nacra 17 and want to pick up kitefoiling as a hobby.
Favorite Beaches: varamon
Style: sendaholic
Gear: tt
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0

Rolling vs Concertina folding Soul

Postby seglarn98 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:43 pm

Hi!

Just got my 10 m soul, excited to go out and try it!

I’ve found some info online saying that the leading edge support things deform if you keep the kite rolled for a long time.

Is that true and how quickly does it happen?

HALF
Medium Poster
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:50 pm
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: 9m Cabrinha Radar (2016), 12m Cabrinha Convert(2010), 9m Flysurfer Speed5(2017), 14m Airush Ultra v2 (2019), 15m Flysurfer Soul(2018), 19m Spleene X(2010)
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Rolling vs Concertina folding SOUL

Postby HALF » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:48 pm

They are pretty flexible and so far i haven't seen any deformed ones, just roll the kite and don't worry about it.

juanpasala
Medium Poster
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:29 pm
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
Cabo de la Vela
San Andres
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 8-10 / Soul 10-15 / Sonic Race 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Rolling vs Concertina folding Soul

Postby juanpasala » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:03 pm

Had my soul since the begining of 2018, always roll it and havent had any problems with the plastic thingys that support the LE.

seglarn98
Rare Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:22 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Traveling, doing an olympic campaign in Nacra 17 and want to pick up kitefoiling as a hobby.
Favorite Beaches: varamon
Style: sendaholic
Gear: tt
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rolling vs Concertina folding Soul

Postby seglarn98 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:49 am

juanpasala wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:03 pm
Had my soul since the begining of 2018, always roll it and havent had any problems with the plastic thingys that support the LE.
HALF wrote: They are pretty flexible and so far i haven't seen any deformed ones, just roll the kite and don't worry about it.
Awesome, then I don’t need to worry or spend unnecessary time folding then:)

juanpasala
Medium Poster
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:29 pm
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
Cabo de la Vela
San Andres
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 8-10 / Soul 10-15 / Sonic Race 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Rolling vs Concertina folding Soul

Postby juanpasala » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:19 pm

seglarn98 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:49 am
juanpasala wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:03 pm
Had my soul since the begining of 2018, always roll it and havent had any problems with the plastic thingys that support the LE.
HALF wrote: They are pretty flexible and so far i haven't seen any deformed ones, just roll the kite and don't worry about it.
Awesome, then I don’t need to worry or spend unnecessary time folding then:)
Just, when you re going to store for a long time, instead of rolling just fold the kite, as you would do with am inflatable.

seglarn98
Rare Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:22 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Traveling, doing an olympic campaign in Nacra 17 and want to pick up kitefoiling as a hobby.
Favorite Beaches: varamon
Style: sendaholic
Gear: tt
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rolling vs Concertina folding Soul

Postby seglarn98 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:34 am

juanpasala wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:19 pm
seglarn98 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:49 am
juanpasala wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:03 pm
Had my soul since the begining of 2018, always roll it and havent had any problems with the plastic thingys that support the LE.
HALF wrote: They are pretty flexible and so far i haven't seen any deformed ones, just roll the kite and don't worry about it.
Awesome, then I don’t need to worry or spend unnecessary time folding then:)
Just, when you re going to store for a long time, instead of rolling just fold the kite, as you would do with am inflatable.
The hard thing is always deciding what is a long time or not, but I will fold when I know it’s a likely break of more than two weeks I guess:)

User avatar
Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Flysurfer founder and constructor
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Rolling vs Concertina folding Soul

Postby Armin Harich » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:40 pm

Our Flysurfer rigid foils at the leading edge is super elastic. There is no problem at all.
On top, our rigid foils are replaceable, but I don't know a single case at our kites that that was necessary.
Some brands use less elastic rigid foils and than if you role it up too tight, it can be deformed. But not at the Flysurfer SOUL.
Here a Video where I show it at our Paraglider, that use the same material:

https://youtu.be/5loAE8rfJTI?t=112
These users thanked the author Armin Harich for the post (total 3):
foilholio (Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:30 am) • mgs (Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:59 am) • seglarn98 (Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:59 am)
Rating: 30%

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2962
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:20 am
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Rolling vs Concertina folding Soul

Postby foilholio » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:29 am

Nice video Armin. It is pretty cool how kite innovations are finding a place in paragliders. I remember you talking a long time ago how you started with paraglider designs for kites and quickly found they weren't good enough. I am sure trade secrets about design are of a high priority to remain secrets but some videos of you going in depth about aspects of kite/parafoil design would be very valuable.

User avatar
mgs
Medium Poster
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:55 am
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: Maldives Blue Lagoons
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono (V1) 18m/12m/9m
Ozone R1 (V1) 15m
Ozone Hyperlink (V1) 12m, 9m V1
Zap Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)
Location: England
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Rolling vs Concertina folding Soul

Postby mgs » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:58 am

Great video Armin and stunning views.Imagine living in one of those houses!

User avatar
Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Flysurfer founder and constructor
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Rolling vs Concertina folding Soul

Postby Armin Harich » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:22 pm

Thank you. Yes Wilderness is a nice place to live. Kiting is there also possible at the ocean and lake.


Return to “Foil Kites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests