RedSky
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber, +Croydon
Gear: Genetrix Hydra

Re: 80 knots on a foilkite

Postby RedSky » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:17 am

joriws wrote:Not wow, that was downhill assisted run, not kite powered only run
Sure, but my response was to the OP's concern about whether a kite could move through the air at 80knts without canopy deformation etc.

I still think two small lei kites with two operators in one craft would work more efficiently than a single operator using a larger kite. 80knts will require very high wind and therefore a large foil kite is certainly out, in fact, any foil kite is out of the question, imo.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:22 am

142kph even if dh assisted stand on some slabs of wood being pulled by and angry kite is a storm is still nucking futs. I say full credit to that man. He can still claim to be the fastest human pulled by a kite.

Max I've done in the kite buggy is 90kph. That's still silly as f***. But no where near as silly as on ski's at 142kph.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, GIN and HQ kites.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:37 pm

plummet wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:22 am
142kph even if dh assisted stand on some slabs of wood being pulled by and angry kite is a storm is still nucking futs. I say full credit to that man. He can still claim to be the fastest human pulled by a kite.
Sorry but I have to disagree. For example, the current world speed ski record is over 150 MPH. If they were to slow down to half their speed and happened to be flying a kite at the time, does that equate to some flavor of fastest human on a kite?

IMO a more accurate description would be "the fastest human pulled by a kite with gravity assist.' Slight inclines offer substantial influences in this respect. I'm not diminishing Felix's effort because it's a kick-ass run. But trying to keep it in perspective.

In regards to what this post is about. If I'm understanding the question, I think by and large most kites are capable of reaching and maintaining the speeds sought here without too much difficulty. I've seen a number of kites operating well into the 60 kn+ range with no noticeable effect on the wing. This includes Dual skin open cell and closed cell foils and LEIs. Some being race variant and some being much lower aspect freeride kites. Even single skins seem to be reasonably good in that range.

In my experience, the kites with the grunt get the job done better than highly efficient race rigs. My fastest speed were on 12m Peter Lynn Arcs. They hit the sweet spot for me between grunt, speed and the ability to dump power in between runs and getting back upwind.

Return to “Foil Kites”