Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My foil kite seems to fly too far overhead lately

Postby jakemoore » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:14 pm

57palawandan wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:15 pm
jakemoore wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:01 pm
Is it collapsing or are you just amazed that it seems like it’s behind you?

What kind of kite?
It's not collapsing, just seems like it wants to overshoot me.
Not a good feeling when I am standing close to shore with a lots of kites laying all around.
It's a 11m race kite.
Didn't seems to do this with the 9m race kite.
Normal and desired behavior for a race kite.

You could consider lengthening the front lines or shortening the rear by 5-10 cm so you can pull it back when flying on land but you will probably then ride with the trimmer pulled in.

There is a skill of active flying. Always keep the kite moving a little with small left right movements at the zenith to keep air moving over the wing. Break to slow down as you reach the zenith.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
57palawandan (Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:42 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My foil kite seems to fly too far overhead lately

Postby Herman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:41 pm

57palawandan

I could have also mentioned that you can check the stability margin you have in the overhead position by doing a stability test. But don't do this unless you fully understand the risks and remedies for a kite luffing into a Hindenburg. Plus make sure you have plenty of room and your flag out system is working and you are not too powered in a steady breeze.

The stability test for the overhead position is simply pulling on the center lines from above the bar and then releasing them. The kite will move even further overhead and if you pull in enough line it will begin to luff. More line and it will luff into a Hindenburg. Just start with small tugs and watch the leading edge for luffing to build up a feel for it. Start with trim out and sheeted out, if you gain enough confidence compare it to trim in but be aware the kite will luff earlier. Also it would be sensible to fist experiment with your most stable kite so that you get a feel for it before risking a Hindenburg with your race kites. The idea is just to find out how much line needs to be pulled to make the kite start to luff, ie. leading edge starts to tuck under. Recover from the luff by releasing the center lines and sheeting in. There is no need to make the kite go into a full Hindenburg. If you over do it running into wind can help with kite recovery but if there is any chance that the kite will Hindenburg/fall into the power zone pull the qr and flag out and move away from the falling lines.

Of course if the kite luffs too easily, you need to change settings, and of course, the racers will run with a lower stability margin than others. Just be careful as you build experience with this.

Regards Herman

Return to “Foil Kites”