Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Launching in strong winds

For all foil kite riders
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Launching in strong winds

Postby Herman » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:51 am

What Plummet says makes total sense to me. I have yet to aquire any modern closed cell kites but i have started flying open cell snow kites for landboarding. Even these need loads of top backline control to open the cells and set them in the cobra. Presumably with closed cell it requires even more patience.

My attitude for higher wind would be more sand and more patience setting the cobra. Any kite donation so that I can validate this theory would be gratefully received.

Richard has got very strong flip flops or the air was pretty thin that day!!

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:04 am

Indeed, no need for pre inflation, small kites in high winds inflate in seconds with the right preparation and technique. Just make sure the bridle is 100% free of tangles and keep the kite stalled until it is completely inflated.

You can pull the trailing edge slightly Upwind and bury it completely with sand to keep the kite from flapping and tangling. Or have someone hold the Downwind tip from tangling.

Have a few 100m's of space to slide around and always be ready to punch out when launching foilkites in high winds.

Hyperlink should be easy, try launching a 9m Chrono v1 in 30kn, even a 400m beach wasn't enough on my first attempts :lol:

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:21 am

Thanks Evan, I will need more balls as well as more sand. I am happy on my stormchaser LEI 5.5m at 30knts and I weigh in at ~210lbs .

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:46 pm

Having heavy back stall accessible on bar is quite useful for such things. I also managed something like classic LEI assisted start in sketchy launch site with no room. I also think that hot start from powerzone is sometime safer /if you have plenty of space/. Yes you will get dragged - but usually not much longer than line lenght - and about half of this without pull cause kite is not inflated yet. Inflation will be symmetrical and more predictable.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:32 pm

i had some scary kite misbehaviour in strong gusty wind on one odd day at Flag beach, Gunnar was watching and I was then given some great advice to stop this happening.
"pre inflate" a little by just shaking the kite when laying out, holding the top edge this unsticks the two layers and lets in just enough air in to help the first lift from the sand, the cobra shape mentioned above.
Gunnar then told me not to use the landing strap to open the ears out, which I was doing, just hold the bar floats high up in each hand from the start and this allows total control of the steering, and at the same time allowing me to hold the kite steady at the edge of the window whilst fully inflating the kite, greatly helped by pulling in on the floats to open out the kite.
Holding both floats high up enable me to do both required actions of applying enough controlled back line tension to open out the kite for fuss free inflation
and to enable precise steering inputs keeping the kite under full and safe control (I also pull in around 5cm of depower before launching the kite, then engage full power only when happy to do so after full inflation)

Another big help was Gunnar fine tuning my kite by reducing the Z line tension by around 4 or 5cm, this prevented "soft ear syndrome" when launching and landing or in very gusty conditions .
I copied this on my next most used kite, my 9mtr, and this had the same stabilizing effects, and gave me kite ears that stayed hard.
happy days!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:28 am

I usually find in light wind but not high wind some preinflation is more important . The vent areas always need enough air to open. I always downwind launch, backstall on the bar. It can be worth while to hold the kite on the ground for a while while it inflates, otherwise in strong wind you can end up with a kite that won't inflate. The air gets pushed from the air intakes down and they then refuse to open.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:34 am

I was in a situation where I considered it to be too risky to launch my HL 9m!
The wind was 25 to 30mph,even with sand on the upwind wing tip to secure the kite, the bridles with the speed system were flapping so violently I couldn’t guarantee a tangle free safe launch.
As confident as I am and "never complacent" in launching my kites, I wasn’t comfortable with the situation and felt the risk of launching in such conditions presented a risk that I wasn’t prepared to take.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:43 pm

mgs wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:34 am
I was in a situation where I considered it to be too risky to launch my HL 9m!
The wind was 25 to 30mph,even with sand on the upwind wing tip to secure the kite, the bridles with the speed system were flapping so violently I couldn’t guarantee a tangle free safe launch.
As confident as I am and "never complacent" in launching my kites, I wasn’t comfortable with the situation and felt the risk of launching in such conditions presented a risk that I wasn’t prepared to take.
blimey i don't blame you,
in that wind my 5mtr HL would be called into action, the 9 chrono would take control of me and not the other way round. :thumb:
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
mgs (Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:46 pm

@foil Yes quite.
The wind was initially 20mph when I arrived at the beach and just ramped up.
My smallest kite is a 9m. A smaller kite may well have been a better option as long it stayed in position on the beach long enough in order to get to the bar to launch.
I’m not a fan of higher winds and prefer winds from 12 to 20mph. 15mph being just perfect for me.

S2000kitesurfer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Poole sandbanks
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius le morne
Fuerteventura
Sardinia
Style: Moved to foiling
Gear: Flysurfer soul.

Postby S2000kitesurfer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:21 am

I was testing my new 10m aurora2 today im 65kg the wind was gusting 29 knots.
And yes it half inflated and sat in the middle of the window dragging me slowly across the grass 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤦.
Didn't know what to do so I pulled full depower thinking bloody Chinese kite. Managing to get back upwind as I thought about the problem 🤣🤦.
Fully powered up sheeting in as I started sliding again across the grass the wing tips inflated 💪💦.My tuning worked the kite sat there at 12 without falling out the sky (YES)😍.
Landing was easy pulling the release only a minor tangle to sort out 🙋.

Sitting nicely at 12👍.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200214_135445_com.android.chrome.jpg
IMG_20200214_133238.jpg

Return to “Foil Kites”