For all foil kite riders
kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Aeolus 2020

Postby kiteykitekite » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:35 pm

No it's that they are using the R1 as a reference. Maybe they started with a copy and tried to improve it, higher AR, miniribs, etc. In the other video you can see Ozones as well. I would guess given the Olympics is having kiting the Chinese Government may be taking more interest in kiting and maybe Pansh, or maybe the sport is just growing in China. Most of the brands are not at all financially attainable for most people, $89 kites are.

It would be quite easy to learn the internal construction methods given access to any kite. Most things seem straightforward, parts carry from connection points(bridles) into the rest of the kite.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:53 am

kitexpert wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:59 pm
Aeolus has also miniribs, R1 doesn' have any.

Aeolus looks so good only thing I'm worried is handling, is it close enough for brand kites. Performance must be of high level.
Mini-ribs work GREAT on the PG's :
Ya get more performance, from the same AR ; and they don't
affect the handling. I wonder "IF" it has something to do with the
back part the airfoil , still being able to flex & give ; while the
front is way more rigid ??

Bille

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster

Postby kiteykitekite » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:59 am

It would be more to do with reducing the thickness of the TE. All inflated structures tend to be a sphere or cylinder, unless otherwise constrained but they will still have some curvature to them. On the TE of a foil the shape is basically a cylinder, I would guess because the cell wall is so thin. The only way to reduce a cylinders thickness is to reduce the diameter. Increasing the cell count globally or locally as the mini ribs do, will achieve that. If you look at the area of a 20cm diameter circle it is 314cm2, where as a 10cm circle is 78cm2, double that to 156cm to cover the same span of 20cm and you will see by using mini ribs we can cut the TE exit area by half. This is important because the less sharp the exit, ie area to 0, the more drag you will have.

It ponders the question would a lower cell count with miniribs be better than one without them. Would something like using 2,3 or even more mini ribs be worth doing? Something like this has been tried with the Lecca Leeca Minima, with apparent good results. Image below.
leccaleccaminima.png
Last edited by kiteykitekite on Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:10 am

Good post kiteykitekite !! :thumb:

I hope you can stay calm enough to not get booted again ; because i always
learn a Bunch from you !

Bille
These users thanked the author Bille for the post:
Matteo V (Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:22 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster

Postby kiteykitekite » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:05 pm

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:22 pm

Bille wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:10 am
Good post kiteykitekite !! :thumb:

I hope you can stay calm enough to not get booted again ; because i always
learn a Bunch from you !

Bille
I'll second that!

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster

Postby kiteykitekite » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:41 am

Stripes grow on me. Strange they don't seem to show it depowered. Lower tip collapses at one point.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:25 pm

There is endless possibilities to play with miniribs (and other inner structures) and cell width (cell count). It is possible to have two miniribs in a cell (splitting cell TE in three) but you can ask if same or better results would have been achieved with thinner cell with only one minirib. If cell is wide and bulging in some area and more flat and more defined elsewhere there will be some kind of discontinuity in shape where transition occurs.

I definitely see miniribs useful and I've used them in some of my kites.

Good handling of kite, main issue being stability in race kites, is very demanding thing to achieve because stability and high performance contradict each other. For instance if kite has wrong airfoil it can make kite useless if wind is less than perfect, or in worst cases kite can't be depowered. There is fine balance between high performance and usability. Also personal preference and skill level matters, if kiter wants highest possible performance (high upwind angles and speed) he must pay the price of it kite being less stable and more difficult to use.

I still can't see any inner structures in Aeolus, except wide straps at B and C line rows. Could it be similar to first Chronos which were quite simple kites with lot of bridle lines?

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster

Postby kiteykitekite » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:46 am

Yes there is always a juggling act. I am thinking low cell count more mini ribs for a freeride kite. Something to get close to Peak on Weight but have much higher performance. Which given the low performance of the peak shouldn't be hard.

I wonder if Pansh uses multiple A cord positions in development. The PMAs are a good customization option for the airfoil, I wonder if multiple As could be too. The problem is the internal structure to support it. So more weight.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:38 am

kiteykitekite wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:46 am
Yes there is always a juggling act. I am thinking low cell count more mini ribs for a freeride kite. Something to get close to Peak on Weight but have much higher performance. Which given the low performance of the peak shouldn't be hard.

I wonder if Pansh uses multiple A cord positions in development. The PMAs are a good customization option for the airfoil, I wonder if multiple As could be too. The problem is the internal structure to support it. So more weight.
Mid AR / performance Paragliders ,have more 1/4 ribs, on the front ; they add L/D
without killing the handling.
I think, a delicate balance of both front and back ; may be the key ?

Bille

Return to “Foil Kites”