Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Bruno is developing an autozenith tube kite

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:40 am

Maybe for the wrong forum but interesting.

https://kitepedago2-0.forumactif.com/t1 ... -au-zenith

Bruno Legaignoux wrote:Yes for me the auto-zenith kite is the key to easy learning, more than boarding or pedagogy.
Compared to Arc, I don't really understand why nobody uses them in school. I have been told several times that the performance is not up to par. Ok for a rider of a certain level but for a beginner it should not be a problem. So is it simply because people want to learn with flange wings because they will then navigate with flange wings? (already heard). Laurent, there are several models of Arc and some are more stable than others.
I have been interested for a very long time in the auto-zenith wings and in the 80s and 90s, the Wipicat wings and a large number of prototypes of our C-kites with low elongation were auto-zenith (but not "super auto-zenith" )
My ambition is to develop an auto-zenith High Pressure kite. I have worked there several times in the last 10 years. It must be powerful enough to be used by all riders including (hydro) foil. When I fall loose in foil, I am more concerned not to hit my foil than to manage the kite. If it was enough to drop the bar to be sure that the kite is in the air when I take my head out of the water, I would be happy.
And then I always thought and said that the practice of kiteboat can only go through an auto-zenith kite and precisely I have a kiteboat project in progress ...
If there is an efficient auto-zenith box wing that is preparing, it is very good and maybe I will adopt it on my kiteboat. Since it will hardly fall over, this is an option. What bothers me most about the boxed wings is their price. Why make the practice more accessible? To democratize it or to facilitate the practice for the wealthy?
These users thanked the author foilholio for the post:
ronnie (Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:16 am)
Rating: 3.03%

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Bruno is developing an autozenith tube kite

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:19 am

Auto-zenith vs deathloop?

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:56 pm

What a stupid idea.

As I explained to my wife who is interested in learning to ride this year; Standing in the water flying the kite around, learning how the kite makes power is NOT representative of what actual flying is like when moving at speed on a board.

This "auto zenith" concept is not valuable in any way to progression. The goal is to get out and ride! And that includes learning how to keep the kite in the sky with your eyes closed when you fall. Having a kite that does this for you just enforces a crutch and would be used by people who can't be bothered to learn how to do it properly. It's the same reason there's a market for 3 wheeled motorcycles! Just sack up and learn the right way, LOOSERS!

I really feel it's counter productive when people keep the training wheels on too long - or worse, when they try to make the training wheels bigger. If any new riders read this: THERE'S NO SUBSTITUTE FOR COMMITMENT TO LEARNING AND PRACTICE.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:27 am

WOW have you even ever used a kite with autozenith? Most certainly not I say! Bruno has and he is trying to invent one, but I mean what does he know? He only invented tube kites! pfft nothing!
SWO_kite wrote:What a stupid idea.
Wrong
SWO_kite wrote: Standing in the water flying the kite around, learning how the kite makes power is NOT representative of what actual flying is like when moving at speed on a board.
Learning to make power with a kite while standing around is actual representative of the most advanced methods of getting power from a kite and flying it. It is because people skip or miss this that their kiteboarding suffers. Like not learning to read in school or read well. Skipping times tables then jumping to calculus.

It also has little to do with autozenith if anything.
SWO_kite wrote: This "auto zenith" concept is not valuable in any way to progression.
Wrong
SWO_kite wrote: The goal is to get out and ride! And that includes learning how to keep the kite in the sky with your eyes closed when you fall.
Autozenith does not mean you can't do this it just means you don't have to always.
SWO_kite wrote: Having a kite that does this for you just enforces a crutch and would be used by people who can't be bothered to learn how to do it properly.
So? Having a kite do this just relieves the rider of part of the flying in some situations. Do you monofoil? Same analogy, if you are using a stabilizer then it is just crutch. Do you use high AR kites like the Sonic VMG or R1? If not the kite you are using are a crutch. Why are beginner kites made? they are a crutch.
SWO_kite wrote: It's the same reason there's a market for 3 wheeled motorcycles! Just sack up and learn the right way, LOOSERS!
What about 4 wheel "bikes" or cars? Do you walk on 2 legs, why not hop on one?

You sir are an ignorant idiot. I suggest you stop using the internet as it is obviously a crutch for your ego.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:03 am

Well I think the concepts are great.
Id rather have auto-zenith than auto-biff.

Auto-stays-exactly-where-I-left-it would interest me. Looks like this is almost what hes got. The kite isn’t whipping back to 12, just barely climbing. Definitely not going to correct itself if it’s already headed down steep.

Auto-zenith vs deathloop? if the kite is deathlooping, then its very subtle auto-zenith feature ain’t gonna be working. So probably no need to worry there.

The high pressure small dia frame is really the innovative part here. Very cool, glad there are those innovators never satisfied and thinking outside the box
These users thanked the author Greenturtle for the post:
foilholio (Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:01 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:05 am

auto zenith is much better than dropping the kite, specially when learning.
Why make things more complicated when you can have it easier?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:04 am

Because Toby! don't you know! if you ain't doing handled passes on a 2 line kite with boots, your gay and a kook. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:11 am

When it is flagged out on the 5th (3lines), it looks a bit like the inflatable foil wing kite, but with auto-zenith.

There may be a use for it if you want to kite or wing upwind, then have the kite/wing auto-zenith while you use wave power to foil the wave?

Does this count as auto-zenithing on the leash?

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:47 pm

Auto zenith would be a great feature in some situations. Imagine taking a hit in big surf, you're getting rolled and can't tell which way is up, just let go of the bar and the kite will have a good chance of not falling in the impact zone. Saves the kite from being shredded, gives the rider a chance to reset and quickly drag to the board without having to relaunch in the impact zone.

Of course the caveat is, as long as you don't lose any performance. Of course if it improves kite performance all the better :D

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:35 pm

drsurf wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:47 pm
Auto zenith would be a great feature in some situations. Imagine taking a hit in big surf, you're getting rolled and can't tell which way is up, just let go of the bar and the kite will have a good chance of not falling in the impact zone. Saves the kite from being shredded, gives the rider a chance to reset and quickly drag to the board without having to relaunch in the impact zone.

Of course the caveat is, as long as you don't lose any performance. Of course if it improves kite performance all the better :D
It could also help when paddling out through shore break, if the wing/kite would just hover above the waves as you paddled out.

Return to “Foil Kites”