Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Soul 2 - what Would you like to see?

For all foil kite riders
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Soul 2 - what Would you like to see?

Postby downunder » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:06 pm

kiteykitekite wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:37 am
clydesdale wrote: yo adventure logs got any packing tips or better yet a video on packing away a 15m soul. it’s new to me and enjoying the kite but 2/3 of time unpacking it bridles are tangled.
keep bar on, wrap bridles on bar, launch from downwind, untwist bridles/lines while bar is still wrapped, check for bridle wraps before unwinding much of the lines, pass bar through if you have any.
downunder wrote: Here, count the number of small rips. Did not exist 2 seshs ago.
So one either they didn't just appear from the last 2 sessions, or you are not being gentle with your kites. If you wrap the bar or pulleys inside the kite they can wear holes in it, I think even the bridles can if you do it the same all the time. I like to route the bridles down the TE towards the back fold, which ends at random places before there. I do this to prevent the bridles being damaged with kinks and twists, but it is a bit longer to do and will then tangle more, well at least till you get more used to it.

Otherwise if you are launching at the side of the window, that will cause sliding and damage. So always launch and land downwind if you can. Also go slow launching so any sand on kite doesn't cause damage, ie don't just let it jump off the ground as fast as it can.
downunder wrote: The bugger all is how to patch this rips, and this is a high maintenance job. We just do not have that high maintenance with other gear, don't we?

What pi's.es me off is they did not provide a patches for this type of fabric. How of Earth will one average Joe patch the rip when nothing will stick on it?

Sure, something will. But prepare to study for hours what and where to get it.

So, FS please provide heaps of patches that actually stick on this fabric. This should be available via sales channel and surprised it is not.
Yes this is problem with silicone coatings, Pansh is the same. SBR doesn't have this problem either. I have only on a few occasions tried to stick something to silicone coated fabric and it didn't work well. I tried preparing the surface, I think sand paper and it helped but no good solution really. I am sure someone will find something, I haven't had the motivation yet. Maybe just put a spot of silicone remover on first then glue something.

A little googling

https://www.instructables.com/community ... o-plastic/

Solution is certain glues and chemical surface prep.

This looks interesting

https://www.dow.com/en-us/pdp.dowsil-31 ... 9548z.html
Thanks

Everything described is a high maintenance ;)

I welcome the ideas for Soul 2 improvement. One is to reinforce fabric at the ends of plastic ribs.

This is where the ribs will go through after some time.

The other one might shock you, but it would be damn good to have a vent on top (bottom?), like R1 does. You do not need to believe me. Try to make one and test.

Only than the packing issues might be solved. Because, the vents on a side are absolutely useless for quick packing.

They work well for Sonic, all right. Useless for Soul.

Put big Sonic and Soul side by side. Record a video. Share with community and you'll see.

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:44 pm

No I don't think it is too high maintenance. First you shouldn't be having these problems with holes and second finding a glue solution can't be too hard.

A deflate in the top is good. I am certain it is better near the front. Air flows better there.

Vents on the side work. Only when you use the very big kites like 21m is it a bit slow, but still you can easily roll the air out. I am sorry but there is no large problem with the kites, just your technique. Certainly there is little things that could be changed. As well you can always add a zipper if it is so important. The TE vents also have the possible use as an over pressure valve when setup right. This will help protect against internal damage.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:08 pm

When I read that a couple of you are have no issues with the deflation, it makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong. Most of the time, I do not have any issues, but in high winds, the slow deflation becomes a problem, not because I have a lack of patience. The issue is the tangling of the bridles on one end due to the TE flapping up and down. If I have someone to help me, two people can get the edge rolled up before the flapping causes a “bridle ball” on one end. I have tried securing the far end and it works on a sandy beach, but on snow it is a no go or on beach’s with no sand.

I have had this issue with the 6,8, 10, 12, and a couple times on the 15 when the wind really picked up. The pulleys get tangled and then I have the fun job of unpicking a tangled mess when I get home. However, due to the fast deflate of the Sonic 3, tangled bridles have not been an issue.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:13 pm

Ha ha,

KKK,

Please do not overestimate my experience and underestimate other users who do not want to spend time in here. As I do.

The subjective experience is easy to prove, as above. Record that video, measure the time for deflation.

We know what the TE vents are for.

Finding a glue in Australia? Like a hens teeth. We talking average Joe, not me. Always put yourself in Joe's shoes ;)

See the ferns post? Let's not pretend that I (am) or have a problem.

Enjoy

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:34 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:19 am
I’ll take a little longer time to pack up compared to the extra weight and chance of frozen zippers any day.

100% agree.

jannik
Medium Poster

Postby jannik » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:50 pm

It would be nice if they could improve the backstall landing ability. That is one thing HQ had down with the matrixx kites. No matter the wind you could just pull those backlines and it would go straight down. It was my preferred landing method.

With the soul I don't dare to do it it other than light winds and I don't kite in light winds. If you collapse the kite it will pivot. The matrixx would go straight down with very little power if you collapsed it.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:54 pm

I have some less-than-ideal launch sites and haven't noticed any durability issues with mine.

Maybe Flysurfer can get the new Aluula fabric for the Soul? Cut the weight of the kite in half and make the fabric stiffer?
These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post (total 2):
kiteykitekite (Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:15 am) • cor (Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:04 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:04 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:54 pm
I have some less-than-ideal launch sites and haven't noticed any durability issues with mine.

Maybe Flysurfer can get the new Aluula fabric for the Soul? Cut the weight of the kite in half and make the fabric stiffer?
Gorgeous launch. Where at? I’m sure Aluula can be done but for how much is my question.

I haven’t done any snowkiting so I can compare having the kite sit on the snow like on a beach. Even if you are getting tangles in the bridles a couple quick shakes on setup should clear them pretty easily.

On my 15m I’d just fold over about a quarter of the wing tip, sand it well, open the buttholes, and then wrap up the bar/lines. Usually by the time I wrap up the bar it’s deflated enough for no real delay. Also wrapping up the bar in the kite helps push the air out faster but with a wet bar that can cause other problems.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
kiteykitekite (Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:15 am)
Rating: 3.03%

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:04 pm
Gorgeous launch. Where at? I’m sure Aluula can be done but for how much is my question.
This is a smaller launch on the Oregon side of the river in the gorge. One of our East wind wintertime spots. The launch is small, but the wind can be good (but cold).

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:54 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:04 pm
This is a smaller launch on the Oregon side of the river in the gorge. One of our East wind wintertime spots. The launch is small, but the wind can be good (but cold).
I seriously considered moving to the gorge area but just too cold for me. I’ve not been gentle on my body.

Return to “Foil Kites”