Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Soul 2 - what Would you like to see?

For all foil kite riders
PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Soul 2 - what Would you like to see?

Postby PullStrings » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:54 am

Ok then put a 3 foot long Velcro opening on the central back of the ram air

Taco fold the ram and fart out that air in a jiffy

Say no to those two small trailing edge Velcro openings

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 am

I would like to be less fragile.

In last 3-5 seshs made more tips and scratches than on all my kites in last 5-7 years.

Sorry. It is a high maintenance kite for me atm. Not doing anything special, but man, self launching/ landing takes a toll.

So, be prepared. And no, I would not say that all foils are like that. Have R1, used it more than a Soul, no rips what so ever. Just a wild guess, when packing up, the compression to take the air out causes potential rips underneath.

I can't see what's under, might be a sharp shell, who knows.
Last edited by downunder on Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:19 am

I had no problem deflating my Soul 15 with the two buttholes. Land it, open up the buttholes, wrap up the lines, then fold up the kite. I’ll take a little longer time to pack up compared to the extra weight and chance of frozen zippers any day.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
cor (Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:39 am

Well, you are the most prominent Soul enthusiast. I guess u are super human or very gentle with the kites u own.

What I'm saying is that my technique is the same with R1 and the Soul. But Soul needs more maintenance, including the technique of packing up. On which we can agree. Extra weight? Right. Frozen zipper maybe on R1v1.

Here, count the number of small rips. Did not exist 2 seshs ago.
IMG_20200322_162417.jpg
IMG_20200322_162404.jpg
In last two seshs one was on grass and one on beach.

Interestingly, all my buddies moved on from foils. Except one who ripped it so can't sell (guessing) ;)

The bugger all is how to patch this rips, and this is a high maintenance job. We just do not have that high maintenance with other gear, don't we?

What pi's.es me off is they did not provide a patches for this type of fabric. How of Earth will one average Joe patch the rip when nothing will stick on it?

Sure, something will. But prepare to study for hours what and where to get it.

So, FS please provide heaps of patches that actually stick on this fabric. This should be available via sales channel and surprised it is not.

Thx
Last edited by downunder on Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:58 am

downunder wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 am
That would be an easy improvement for Flysurfer to make.
Just do like Ozone do and make an "Ultralight" and a "Regular".
Then each person can choose between best lightwind performance and best durability.
These users thanked the author dave1986 for the post:
downunder (Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:34 am)
Rating: 3.03%

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:36 pm

Hey fernmanus, how about a review of the Sonic 3 ? .
Well, what I like most about the Sonic 3 is what I requested in my initial post.

The thin profile allows the kite to quickly inflate and deflate. You only need one Velcro TE port with this kite. A zipper is not necessary even on the 18. It takes 3 times as long to pack up my Soul 18 compared to the Sonic 18.

The kite has a better upper range and a decent lower end. I think I could probably get away with replacing my Soul 15 & 12 with the Sonic 3 13.

The tiny white lines have been replaced with gray lines that are less prone to tangle.

I like how the Soul turns better than the Sonic 3. The Sonic 3 like earlier Sonics and Speeds pivots while the Soul swoops.

The bar pressure is a bit lighter on the Sonic 3 compared to the Soul.

The Sonic 3 is more stable than the Sonic 2, but not as stable as a Soul. I can see why Flysurfer is suggesting the Soul for more unstable winds. I fly inland lakes and in gusty mountain winds. I think I will choose the Soul 10 over the Sonic 9 or 11.

As far as jumping goes the Sonic 3 is a sweet kite. I am not sure if it boosts higher than the Soul or glides further. I would have to fly it back to back to be sure, but I can tell you it is a top performer.

The Sonic 3 requires more hands on management than the Soul, it is not as forgiving as the Soul and requires more attention, especially in less than perfect wind.

I like both kites and wish I could have the best of both in one kite, but if not, Sonics in larger sizes and Souls in smaller sizes makes a lot of sense. At this point, I am still hanging onto my 21m Soul as well.

clydesdale
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby clydesdale » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:08 pm

yo adventure logs got any packing tips or better yet a video on packing away a 15m soul. it’s new to me and enjoying the kite but 2/3 of time unpacking it bridles are tangled.

cheers

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:37 am

clydesdale wrote: yo adventure logs got any packing tips or better yet a video on packing away a 15m soul. it’s new to me and enjoying the kite but 2/3 of time unpacking it bridles are tangled.
keep bar on, wrap bridles on bar, launch from downwind, untwist bridles/lines while bar is still wrapped, check for bridle wraps before unwinding much of the lines, pass bar through if you have any.
downunder wrote: Here, count the number of small rips. Did not exist 2 seshs ago.
So one either they didn't just appear from the last 2 sessions, or you are not being gentle with your kites. If you wrap the bar or pulleys inside the kite they can wear holes in it, I think even the bridles can if you do it the same all the time. I like to route the bridles down the TE towards the back fold, which ends at random places before there. I do this to prevent the bridles being damaged with kinks and twists, but it is a bit longer to do and will then tangle more, well at least till you get more used to it.

Otherwise if you are launching at the side of the window, that will cause sliding and damage. So always launch and land downwind if you can. Also go slow launching so any sand on kite doesn't cause damage, ie don't just let it jump off the ground as fast as it can.
downunder wrote: The bugger all is how to patch this rips, and this is a high maintenance job. We just do not have that high maintenance with other gear, don't we?

What pi's.es me off is they did not provide a patches for this type of fabric. How of Earth will one average Joe patch the rip when nothing will stick on it?

Sure, something will. But prepare to study for hours what and where to get it.

So, FS please provide heaps of patches that actually stick on this fabric. This should be available via sales channel and surprised it is not.
Yes this is problem with silicone coatings, Pansh is the same. SBR doesn't have this problem either. I have only on a few occasions tried to stick something to silicone coated fabric and it didn't work well. I tried preparing the surface, I think sand paper and it helped but no good solution really. I am sure someone will find something, I haven't had the motivation yet. Maybe just put a spot of silicone remover on first then glue something.

A little googling

https://www.instructables.com/community ... o-plastic/

Solution is certain glues and chemical surface prep.

This looks interesting

https://www.dow.com/en-us/pdp.dowsil-31 ... 9548z.html

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:50 am

downunder wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 am

In last 3-5 seshs made more tips and scratches than on all my kites in last 5-7 years.

Sorry. It is a high maintenance kite for me atm. Not doing anything special, but man, self launching/ landing takes a toll.

So, be prepared. And no, I would not say that all foils are like that. Have R1, used it more than a Soul, no rips what so ever. Just a wild guess, when packing up, the compression to take the air out causes potential rips underneath.

I can't see what's under, might be a sharp shell, who knows.
If you are getting scratches/tears during your launching and landing, your technique is wrong. Yes the fabric is different on the Soul. It’s significantly more air tight. Improve your technique before you criticize the kite. Lack of skill cannot be blamed on the product.

=Jason-
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post (total 2):
Atte (Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:56 am) • cor (Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:18 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:40 am

^
To judge my technique with R1, which is a performance kite, and Soul, which is not, is poor choice too.

As said many times, if a balloon is pushed down to the ground it WILL rip at some stage no matter what. Maybe try with a balloon for once?

As the user above wrote, packing is a problem, it takes not only time but the risk that something is underneath. Unless one has heaps of time to wait till completely deflated.

And bigger the kite, bigger the risk is. And if a rip happens on remote location, it's the end.

Or, we should not question anything because AL has all the answers. Suitable for all locations and environment ;)

It's not the user error that nothing sticks on the fabric. However, the user needs to know that and be informed about all aspects of product. Good or bad.

It's a known fact that Ozone Edge is s fragile kite. Riding it for 6 years, and yes, it is. Nothing to do with technique.

Return to “Foil Kites”