Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

I sold my flysurfer soul in favour of

For all foil kite riders
esme
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: I sold my flysurfer soul in favour of.

Postby esme » Thu May 14, 2020 3:49 am

Well I think it is a good kite. It's not a Sonic 3, they are very different kites but you can compare it to a Soul.

S2000kitesurfer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Poole sandbanks
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius le morne
Fuerteventura
Sardinia
Style: Moved to foiling
Gear: Flysurfer soul.

Postby S2000kitesurfer » Sat May 16, 2020 8:02 pm

First try today but on my wife's foil don't judge 🙋🤣
It's absolutely amazing ❤️
These users thanked the author S2000kitesurfer for the post:
NorthernKitesAus (Thu May 28, 2020 3:01 am)
Rating: 3.03%

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Sun May 17, 2020 3:05 pm

S2000kitesurfer wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:02 pm
First try today but on my wife's foil don't judge 🙋🤣
It's absolutely amazing ❤️
Looks good. Need to know how good it re launches when wet. Can you test?
These users thanked the author richy-c for the post:
S2000kitesurfer (Mon May 18, 2020 11:15 pm)

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun May 17, 2020 9:45 pm

The video looks fine but it certainly doesn't make me think, "I should trade in my Souls for these!"

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon May 18, 2020 8:51 am

I think it depends on what your style of riding is though. S2000Kitesurfer has sold his Flysurfer and in exchange got a whole quiver of kites so he can always foil in the sweet spot of each kite. The Soul almost certainly has a larger sweet spot but kite sweetspots aren't as big when foiling as when on a twin tip. I can see the logic in it.

Likewise I saw a guy who had a 10m soul with splitboard twin tip and hydrofoil. He got a cheaper, heavier foil to offset the extra cost of the kite and he was easily covered from 9-30 knots. It looked like a really good travel quiver.

The argument for multi kite overlapping quiver is that if one needs a repair/maintenance, you don't have to miss a day on the water. Probably not a big deal in regular thermal winds but in weather driven locations, you don't know if the next session is tomorrow or 2 weeks time (as an example, there have only been 3 kiteable days at my spot during the 6 weeks of lockdown as the wind has consistently blown offshore)
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
NorthernKitesAus (Thu May 28, 2020 3:03 am)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon May 18, 2020 3:28 pm

Foil wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:27 pm
nothing2seehere wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:13 am
Foil wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:06 pm

correct,
so many people just refer to Foil kites as light wind tools,
and the higher end better ones costing way more than the same size lei.
but the high end modern foils are much more than light wind kings,
the top end is unbelievable (range) jumping is better than most lei kites, and in very light winds are better than any lei,
cost is high for one kite, but one decent up to date foil kite replaces 2 or even 3 lei sizes, so great value if you consider that in.
This is the bit I'm interested in. With the exception of the flysurfer kites, I normally see reviews talking about needing to change down a lot sooner on foil kites. Even this review (https://www.kiteworldmag.com/gear/ozone-hyperlink-v1/) of a top brand foil kite talks of a 7m for 20-25 knots. Thats top end of 11m LEI territory so it looks as though the top end of the kites aren't great when you read the reviews.

Maybe the problem is that the magazine reviewers aren't regular foil kiters so they don't want to launch and land in high winds (or encourage readers to launch/land in high winds) but flysurfer seem almost unique in displaying riding in strong winds on the foils (that I have seen anyway)
it is true that to get skilled on foil kites does take a long time for some guys,(me)
after using leis for 18 years, and with a few short seasons using rubbish foil kites in around the 2009 period, I only started thinking about going back to revisit foil kites once the soul started causing people to talk about it being the best brand model available for free riders, either on a Ttip or foil board.

I did not believe all the hype, but I watched the guys who were buying them with growing interest,
it was only when one of my sailing buddies bought a new set of Ozone Chrono v3 ultralights to replace his old set of v2 chrono foil kites, and he was amazed just how good this new model was for the free ride side of foiling,
I got to get a go on his kites quite a few times but it was hard to form an opinion, as for me they were just so different, scary even,
so technical to launch/land and fly correctly compared to a LEI kite,
but after many sessions and many embarrassing (not my kite) but successful deep water relaunches with no swim ins, I found some big cash, and started to build a quiver of Chronos v3 ultralights, my 13 and 15 being my most used.

As my skill increased the need for the 15 chrono disappeared, soon after the 13mtr was surplus as I stopped using that as well, the 11 mtr and 9mtr chrono v3 ul were really showing me just how much fun a foil kite could be, as jumping was now like a drug,
but many weeks later I was really getting the hang of using the 9mtr in winds so light it shocked me and many others who were used to me using a much bigger foil kite,
continuas day after day use of my 9mtr foil kite ensured I was dialed in to its use from silly light winds to blowing hard, the 9 never complains, the boosting just gets more silly high.
I am not anymore than average skilled on foil kites, there is one guy I know who lives near flag beach,
good free ride foil board rider who only has a 7mtr hyperlink v1 ultra light(Gunnar sold him his old kite),
he is not light, 105kg, and is a joy to watch in almost any wind flag delivers. how it gets going on his 7mtr foil in winds he really shouldn't be able to is amazing, the other guy I know who lives on flag beach 6 months a year is Tom Courts dad, Anthony, he now has good foil kite skills, last season just gone he only used his 9mtr hyperlink 9mtr, another one kite quiver guy!

looks like I will be doing the same for the 6mths I have booked for flag beach, just need to buy myself another 9mtr Ozone Chrono v3 Ulight, just in case,
because if you are going to damage any gear anywhere its at Flag beach, I have been lucky for 3 years. it cant last!
Ive been following these threads on these kites- There seems to be alot of tweeking of bridles. and uneven flying characteristics. Sceptical.

Where i kite most: southern sweden, year round. once a year 2 week trip to Brazil- i use a 9m V1 Hyperline UL. 85% of my sessions in both spots. I could live with just this one kite and do a lot of kiting.
I ride a 1000cm2 hydrofoil and weigh 76kg-78 kg. Its worth the investment.
But if you need a light air, or heavy air kite that you are not going to use much, understand the idea of going the less expensive route.

esme
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby esme » Mon May 18, 2020 10:36 pm

I think it's because they are so cheap people are willing to play around and alter things on them. Some of the changes are really good though. Like I just tried this other one and it improves the kite even more.
These users thanked the author esme for the post:
NorthernKitesAus (Thu May 28, 2020 3:04 am)

S2000kitesurfer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Poole sandbanks
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius le morne
Fuerteventura
Sardinia
Style: Moved to foiling
Gear: Flysurfer soul.

Postby S2000kitesurfer » Mon May 18, 2020 11:22 pm

This a15 in the video needed just the 10 minute Jackomixer modification no cutting just swooping the bridle around.
Today I've added 3m exstentions to my 55cm 23m lines now 26m. The kite was really fast so much quicker than the flysurfer soul .I don't even care if no one believes me i just can't wait to use it again fun fun fun 😁.
These users thanked the author S2000kitesurfer for the post:
NorthernKitesAus (Thu May 28, 2020 3:08 am)

NorthernKitesAus
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Altona Beach, Melbourne
Pallarenda Beach, Townsville
Favorite Beaches: Altona Beach
Torquay
Bells
Winki Pop
Bushland Beach
Pallarenda & The Strand
Cocos Islands
Fiji
Bali
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Speed3 dlx 15m
PANSH Aurora 12m
Naish SLE Boxer 15m
RRD Type 9 12m
Peter Lynn WF 5.6m
Fluid ATV 10m
Slingshot 9m
Slingshot Fluid 13m
Naish Boxer 12m
GlobeKites 12m
Naish Cult 13.5m
Naish Helix 12m

MBS Core 95
6'2" thruster
9'2" "The Gill" (1963) malibu board
9'2" "Waterman" Merricks Longboard (2003)
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby NorthernKitesAus » Thu May 28, 2020 3:08 am

Well I know the OP well, and believe me when he said - it works. Pansh Kites work! They didn't a few years back, but they've improved year-on-year. Pricing unfortunately is slowly (slower please!) catching up to other brands. Eventually it will be a choice of Pansh, Flysurfer, Ozone or F-One for most foilers. I personally love Pansh because - yeah they work and 2, they are fun to tweek! I am sorry for those that cringe at having to adjust bridles, lines, knots, etc... but that's what real sailors (yes, kite surfers are sailors technically) do. It's part of being out there in the ocean. If you think kite surfing should be a plug-and-play situation all the time, then you're heading into mishaps one day. What are you going to do out there with a foil kite that you've only been taught to pull one of the steering lines to re-launch.!? Sailors, experienced kiters know, it takes certain tweeks and adjustments to their sails, to be able to control them better and get better outcomes across all wind conditions.
So kudos to you Lee! We know we're it's at!

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:40 am

You guys kill me with these ridiculous glowing pansh reviews. last person i know bought a pansh 1 month ago and it collapses all over the place . If u pimp pansh ure either completely delusional or stand to gain some incentive from the company. who the hell makes their kites anywas ? Has anyone even ever seen their designer or anyone from their company . I bet u its a big joke the whole operation is probally run by a half senile old man and his trained monkey in a basement somewhere . Its not possible for a company to continually send out defective kites year after year something just aint right. i would have really liked to see pansh do well and be a real competition to the other players in the market but i dont think tht will ever happen.

NorthernKitesAus wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:08 am
Well I know the OP well, and believe me when he said - it works. Pansh Kites work! They didn't a few years back, but they've improved year-on-year. Pricing unfortunately is slowly (slower please!) catching up to other brands. Eventually it will be a choice of Pansh, Flysurfer, Ozone or F-One for most foilers. I personally love Pansh because - yeah they work and 2, they are fun to tweek! I am sorry for those that cringe at having to adjust bridles, lines, knots, etc... but that's what real sailors (yes, kite surfers are sailors technically) do. It's part of being out there in the ocean. If you think kite surfing should be a plug-and-play situation all the time, then you're heading into mishaps one day. What are you going to do out there with a foil kite that you've only been taught to pull one of the steering lines to re-launch.!? Sailors, experienced kiters know, it takes certain tweeks and adjustments to their sails, to be able to control them better and get better outcomes across all wind conditions.
So kudos to you Lee! We know we're it's at!

Return to “Foil Kites”