Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Pansh Aurora II 12m test with B mixer mod

Postby derek440 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:46 am

I have previously tested an Aurora2 -12m and found that with hydrofoil it was unstable at the edge of the window and prone to front-stalling/luffing and collapsing. I did long mixer test and measured the A,B,C,Z levels and found that the shape was very unusual (on a new kite) so I decided to try and shorten B level to make the kite more stable. It worked, but I went too far (4cm) and the kite was "stally" and slow but stable, so I changed it back to 2cm shorter (with a knot/loop) at B mixer level and tested it and it was great! In the video you can see I rode on my race bar/lines so very short lines (12m) but the kite still flew well. Also the wind was light (11kn) at start of session so with short lines and small board it was tricky but I got it going nicely. Later in the session the wind picked up and got gusty (about 15-17kn plus gusts) and you can see the kite gets a little unstable, but nothing that can't be managed with some rear line pressure. My conclusion with this kite is that it has some stalling and collapsing issues the way it comes from factory but it can be modified to fly quite well. When riding with a twin tip there is so much line pressure that i think the stability issues aren't even a problem and also you are riding the kite in much stronger winds. With a hydrofoil in lighter winds and particularly gusty winds the kite is a little unstable, but much better after this mod, and I would say in this state (and ideally with longer lines) the kite is usable and actually quite fun.

As a side note, yes I rode with lines that are too short but I still had a good session. You can see that when I tack and the lines twist the kite stops making power and sometimes the tips fold, yes this is due to lines too short, next time I'll fly it on longer lines, but using my normal bar and lines is good practice for kite racing anyway so I can deal with that, but not having any lift in tacks is annoying.

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Aurora II 12m test with B mixer mod

Postby kiteykitekite » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:39 am

So by shortening B you have done 2 things, change the profile and change the depower limit. To get the same profile change of B 2cm shorter, without altering the depower limit, you would lengthen Z 8cm and lengthen C 4cm. This would if you then did a mixer test show B is 2cm shorter, but because you had not actually altered B the depower limit remains the same. The can alter the depower limit alternately with the bar or trimmer, as you should know.

Why would you want to just alter the profile and not the depower limit? Well because you can limit the depower at the bar, it is not usually necessary to reduce the depower limit. It is in fact usually necessary to increase it, because with bridle shrink and particularly the pulley lines shrinking the depower limit will reduce. It is also a fact that the instability or like problems with a kite are not often because of the depower limit but usually solely because of the profile.

The mixer test is a simple way for measuring and referencing the profile. It takes A and Z and matches them where they join the mixer mains. You then get a setting of B and C in reference to them.

So I would suggest you put B back as it was originally and instead lengthen Z 8cm and C 4cm. As well a mod I suggest you try is disconnecting the very Z tip bridle.
These users thanked the author kiteykitekite for the post:
Delta99 (Sat May 30, 2020 5:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

KitemanFR
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Peak 3 12m / viron 2 8m / aurora 2 1m
Has thanked: 0

Postby KitemanFR » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:45 pm

Hello,
After seeing multiple articles on the subject of aurora 2 12m I discovered this in order to stabilize the kite :

+5cm A1
+2 ou 3cm A2

OR

+8cm A1
+4cm A2 OR

OR

+10cm A1
+5cm A2

OR

+2cm A2
+4cm A3

- the z are totally relaxed, I do not see the point of lengthening them ?
- lengthen C 4cm ? c1, c2, c3 ... or only C ?
- what do you mean by disconnecting the very Z tip bridle ? bridle Z8 ?

thank you

PS. bridles measurements in attachments + bridles plan
Attachments
plan aurora2.jpg
mesures brides.pdf
(48.47 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
These users thanked the author KitemanFR for the post:

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:11 pm

They are some wildly different changes you list. Maybe you should consult the line plan first.

I was suggesting alternate and I think better settings to the OP. They are for the mixer.
KitemanFR wrote: - the z are totally relaxed, I do not see the point of lengthening them ?
Well it shouldn't be totally relaxed, maybe you mean when it is depowered? That is normal. The point of lengthening them is to change the kites behavior.
KitemanFR wrote: what do you mean by disconnecting the very Z tip bridle ? bridle Z8 ?
Yes just that, Z8 unconnect it. If you like it you can remove it.
These users thanked the author kiteykitekite for the post:

Return to “Foil Kites”