For all foil kite riders
kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tip stalling and flying line tension

Postby kiteykitekite » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:14 pm

The reason not to adjust B is because it also changes the depower limit. You will need to adjust it if you also want to change that, which you likely should. There is no need to have doubt, wonder plausibility, argue or set up wind tunnels... what I state is a fact, your belief is irrelevant.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:33 pm

Doubt is a useful tool. Are your conclusions based on experience or have you done the maths?

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:29 am

Just updating this thread with a further thought, regarding bottom half luffing of an old Montana ( which I could sort of control with very gentle bottom steering line tension ) during straight riding.

Talking simplistically, it seemed odd that most likely the Z has shrunk, and yet, the kite becomes prone to luffing. (On a fixed bridle kite you tension Z, the brake line, to keep the kite away from the luff.)

However, if you view the kite holistically, when riding you are often just keeping enough top steering line pressure to keep the kite steady. If Z has shrunk this will require less sheeting and in turn will result in a slacker lower steering line. This very slack bottom steering line results not only in reduced AOA but, perhaps more importantly, loss of camber/shape control that results in the luff.

Really I am just ordering my own thoughts, but comments on this hypothesis are welcome. It could also be complete BS, I have not been able to test or trial as yet.

I would also be interested to know if anybody has used their asymmetric steering line adjusters to put in a tweak during long tacks?

derek440
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites

Postby derek440 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:09 am

I have had a similar situation recently with a kite that was luffing/front-stalling unless managing the steering line tension, it was a Pansh Aurora2 (a new kite). So I measured with long mixer test and found out that the B level was very long and C was short as was Z. I have attached a picture I drew using the measurements, note that A2 is the kite I am talking about, the others are my other kites. Note that the A2 kite has a strange shape that makes some camber which rolls A level/leading edge forward and also has a short trailing edge which I guess promotes pushing the leading edge further around and causes the luffing. To correct this I shortened B level with a knot in the mixer and the kite instantly behaved much better. It still has a very slight tendency to luff but only slight and can be easily managed with line tension. Prior to this change the kite could luff and collapse whilst riding on hydrofoil.
Attachments
IMG_6899.jpg

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:13 am

Thanks for the info derek440. I am still very inexperienced tuning foils and really only just realized how loss/inaccurate bridle control of camber can lead to the leading edge tucking into a luff and it is not all about overall AOA in this respect. Looking back I probably got the Montana flying by shortening the front line pigs which compensated for shrunk Z with regard to AOA but did nothing for the rest of the bridle. The influence of the camber became obvious when I saw how much the camber in the bottom half was arching without line tension as it started to luff, and gentle flying tension pulled this arching back down.

It will be interesting to see how bar pressure is affected when I tune it up. At the moment the bar pressure seems higher than I would have expected from this sort of kite. Glad to hear that you sorted your Aurora. Stay safe............

Return to “Foil Kites”