Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Soul mixer test

Postby Ice101 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:29 pm

D0D373B9-DFBE-4B20-98E6-522ADA51F09D.jpeg
Mixer
D0D373B9-DFBE-4B20-98E6-522ADA51F09D.jpeg (78.71 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
Hi guys just some help needed. Above is a picture of my mixer on our 9m soul. I see in Armin’s videos lines b and c usually stretch. The picture below shows my mixer which appears that b and have shrunk a little? The two longer level ones are A and Z the next shorter one is C and the very shortest B. Is that normal? Which way to adjust the mixer knots?
Kite is only a couple months old but has been flying slightly off. The lines were put under 5kg pressure before they were held in place for the photo where they were when stretched.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Re: Soul mixer test.

Postby Breze » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:27 pm

Watch this vid
Move the knots towards the kiteto make it longer.
C first

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:09 am

It's actually the opposite, move the knot away from the kite to make it longer. That is if we are talking about the loop through the metal ring to adjust.

I don't agree with using 5kg force to measure for shrink. I would use the minimum as possible to remove the bow in the line.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:46 pm

I just performed the long mixer test on my 12m Soul. On both sides of the kite B & C were about .5 cm short. I did not adjust the mixer as I thought that would be in the margin of error for my measurements and would not make that much of a difference in how the kite flies. I suppose that if it were much more shorter it would flatten the camber of the kite making it more efficient or possibly prone to luffing ( :?: )? Any thoughts on this? Should I adjust the mixer to get it exact?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:08 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:46 pm
I just performed the long mixer test on my 12m Soul. On both sides of the kite B & C were about .5 cm short. I did not adjust the mixer as I thought that would be in the margin of error for my measurements and would not make that much of a difference in how the kite flies. I suppose that if it were much more shorter it would flatten the camber of the kite making it more efficient or possibly prone to luffing ( :?: )? Any thoughts on this? Should I adjust the mixer to get it exact?
If your B-C is shortened it means camber is decreased or flattened. This is typical thing to happen when pulley lines and less loaded bridle lines shrink. However this doesn't mean more efficiency but less. Kite will be less prone to luffing (front stall) but having less camber makes kite fly slower and it doesn't go as far in the WW (worse upwind) as it would with higher (or normal) camber.

I'd keep mixer test and bridle line testing separated. Soul has similar line lengths between line rows in higher levels of the bridle, so very easy to compare them to each other without "long mixer test". Then you will be more aware on how lines change in your kite.

Difference of 0,5cm in LMT is not significant in 12m kite.
These users thanked the author kitexpert for the post:
JakeFarley (Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:01 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:37 am

Recently changed my Souls (long) mixer settings.(in cm) and still searching for the best setting.
The conditions you fly the kite in are a significant factor in your settings.. I fly the 10 and 12 in really gusty conditions, a small inland lake
That means gust to the max and lulls to below the minimum.. (foiling)

At the 12; ABCZ equal gives me some tip collaps and the tendens to frontstalling. with A,B-0.5, C-1.0,Z gives a more relaxed behaviour.
The 12 flies the best on my small lake. Has the best float in lulls.

The 10 with ABCZ equal is not flyable at all, collapsing all over the place.. will have to find the sweet spot but A,B-1.5, C-3,Z will be the minimum setting.
IME differeces of 0.5cm do matter for my 12m, the smaller the kite the more it matters.

Put ABCZ equal and see how it flies, if you get some tiptuck or frontalls, shorten C-1.0cm (move the knot 2cm towards the pulley) and fly again. if needed repeat.
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
JakeFarley (Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:10 am

Having B and C slightly shorter will increase stability. Are you having problems with the kite? If not then just leave it alone. If you do want to mess with it, make sure you use a sharpie or something to mark where it is before hand so if you make it worse, you can easily go back.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post (total 2):
JakeFarley (Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:10 pm) • apollo4000 (Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:55 am)
Rating: 6.06%

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:06 pm

i did my souls all on one day and they were all out , with 3 hardly being flown , so i would just give the kite time before changing anything yet
i intend to check mine after everytime i fly them ,for the intermendiate future as it seems to me they will move a bit for a few flys

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:45 am

Hopefully someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I have just finished tuning a Sonic 2 using the long mixer test. Once you tune using the long mixer test, the short mixer test is irrelevant as the mixer is now adjusted to take into account of bridle shrinkage.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:00 pm

airsail wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:45 am
Hopefully someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I have just finished tuning a Sonic 2 using the long mixer test. Once you tune using the long mixer test, the short mixer test is irrelevant as the mixer is now adjusted to take into account of bridle shrinkage.
There is no long mixer test on the Sonic 2 unless it’s been modified somehow.

Return to “Foil Kites”