Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FS Peak 4 size advice?

For all foil kite riders
kriskris
Medium Poster
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:32 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

FS Peak 4 size advice?

Postby kriskris » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:04 am

Hi everybody,
I am thinking about getting new Peak 4. I use Core Section 9 and 6 with moses Onda. Would 3m or 4m Peak be better choice to complement my quiver?

ice
Rare Poster
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:46 am
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: FS Peak 4 size advice?

Postby ice » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:22 am

a 3m peak will be very similar to 6m lei

kriskris
Medium Poster
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:32 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: FS Peak 4 size advice?

Postby kriskris » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:31 am

Thanks Ice. i guess my choices are limited for a smaller single kite that would work when I am overpowered on 6m LEI?

max
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:00 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: FS Peak 4 size advice?

Postby max » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:24 am

ice wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:22 am
a 3m peak will be very similar to 6m lei
I think the 3m is more like 4.5 LEI

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:59 am
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: FS Peak 4 size advice?

Postby Trent hink » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:48 am

I have no idea about the 3, but I am riding the 4 in more wind than I feel comfortable in with my 6.5 LF Solo v2.

The peak4 works very well when it is overpowered. So my 4 meter was crazy overpowered in 26 knots with a hydrofoil, and that was too much to ride with my hydrofoil. But it never felt dangerous. If I had had my surfboard, it would have been perfect in that wind.

The way the peak4 reacts, is it flaps a lot if you are overpowered. It stops flapping if you sheet in, but that might be more power than you can handle.

Overpowered is relevant to what you are using, and it behaves well if you do not sheet out too much.

When you are really totally overpowered, and sheet out as much as possible, the leading edge starts to fold in, unless you sheet in to control it.

So, just for example, the 4 meter in 26 knots was easy and felt safe to fly, and I could sort of ride it with my big slow surf hydrofoil, but it did not really work. It would work fine in that wind with a surfboard.

For foiling, and especially in waves, the ideal wind is just barely enough to get up and go. With the 4 meter, it is around 15 knots.

User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 76 times
Contact:

Re: FS Peak 4 size advice?

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:15 am

Instead of talking sizes, tell us what wind range you want and your weight and equipment.

Peak4 3m starts roughly 20-25 kts depending on your weight, skill, and equipment and I’ve honestly haven’t found the top end yet.

User avatar
flying doctor
Medium Poster
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:21 pm
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: FS Peak 4 size advice?

Postby flying doctor » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:56 am

Trent hink wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:48 am
I have no idea about the 3, but I am riding the 4 in more wind than I feel comfortable in with my 6.5 LF Solo v2.

The peak4 works very well when it is overpowered. So my 4 meter was crazy overpowered in 26 knots with a hydrofoil, and that was too much to ride with my hydrofoil. But it never felt dangerous. If I had had my surfboard, it would have been perfect in that wind.

The way the peak4 reacts, is it flaps a lot if you are overpowered. It stops flapping if you sheet in, but that might be more power than you can handle.

Overpowered is relevant to what you are using, and it behaves well if you do not sheet out too much.

When you are really totally overpowered, and sheet out as much as possible, the leading edge starts to fold in, unless you sheet in to control it.

So, just for example, the 4 meter in 26 knots was easy and felt safe to fly, and I could sort of ride it with my big slow surf hydrofoil, but it did not really work. It would work fine in that wind with a surfboard.

For foiling, and especially in waves, the ideal wind is just barely enough to get up and go. With the 4 meter, it is around 15 knots.
I also have a 4m and agree fully with what you say Trent.
The kite is still very well behaved when depowered, personally the flapping doesn't bother me.
But when I tried my surfboard with the 4m in 25-28knt winds I found the upwind capability seriously lacking compared to a regular LEI.
Catching waves is great because of the drift and killing all the power of the kite. But I'd only do it again on a downwinder when on a surfboard.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: FS Peak 4 size advice?

Postby slowboat » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:22 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:15 am
Instead of talking sizes, tell us what wind range you want and your weight and equipment.
This!

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1517
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:00 am
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: FS Peak 4 size advice?

Postby tomtom » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:58 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:15 am
Peak4 3m starts roughly 20-25 kts depending on your weight, skill, and equipment and I’ve honestly haven’t found the top end yet.
You must like quite more power than me.

Me 202cm, 90 kg in wetsuit
moses 633
3m Peak 16-28 knts absolute, 18-25 sweetspot

User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 76 times
Contact:

Re: FS Peak 4 size advice?

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:17 pm

tomtom wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:58 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:15 am
Peak4 3m starts roughly 20-25 kts depending on your weight, skill, and equipment and I’ve honestly haven’t found the top end yet.
You must like quite more power than me.

Me 202cm, 90 kg in wetsuit
moses 633
3m Peak 16-28 knts absolute, 18-25 sweetspot
Yea I do like a little grunt but I’m sure I could ride down to around that but I have a Soul 6m that I like better anyhow that I would ride instead. Personally for me my Soul 6m and Peak4 3m are pretty similar in drift and playfulness. Just the Peak is easier to do so. If I had to choose between the two, I’d pull the Soul out every time.


Return to “Foil Kites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest