Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 162
Local Beach: Crack Park
Style: Foil
Gear: 633 Onda Peak4 8,5,4,3m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FS Peak 4 size advice?

Postby kriskris » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:03 pm

I am 162 lbs and I ride strapless with Onda and smaller Dwarfcraft. I like high wind conditions because it allows me to ride downwind and surf bigger rollers. I also find that doing more advanced maneuvers powered is easier and more fun. In my spot it requires higher winds and quite often my 6 meter surf kite already gets overpowered. It probably has to blow over 20 mph. I never really check wind speed. Just go to the beach and choose the kite that seems to be working. I do not care for upwind ability of the kite. It seams to be non issue riding foil and with stronger wind. Also I can hold on to my 6 with a lot of wind but I want something that will alow me to still have fun in 20+ knot conditions.
Thank for all the responses

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:33 pm

kriskris wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:03 pm
I am 162 lbs and I ride strapless with Onda and smaller Dwarfcraft. I like high wind conditions because it allows me to ride downwind and surf bigger rollers. I also find that doing more advanced maneuvers powered is easier and more fun. In my spot it requires higher winds and quite often my 6 meter surf kite already gets overpowered. It probably has to blow over 20 mph. I never really check wind speed. Just go to the beach and choose the kite that seems to be working. I do not care for upwind ability of the kite. It seams to be non issue riding foil and with stronger wind. Also I can hold on to my 6 with a lot of wind but I want something that will alow me to still have fun in 20+ knot conditions.
I would definitely say the 3m Peak4 is the kite for you.
Also given the type of downwind kiting you do, after trying the 3m Peak4 you will enjoy the 4m or 5m Peak4 in lighter conditions to replace your larger LEI kite.

The Peak4 excels in downwind conditions where you can get some waves to ride. It has instant depower and won't fall when you ride a wave towards the kite as it will drift like no other kite and yet still respond quickly to bar inputs. Also the Peak4 sits a little lower in the window than most LEI kites which decreases the lift effect which can occur when you're powered up on a strapless board.
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
kriskris (Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:55 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:17 pm
tomtom wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:58 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:15 am
Peak4 3m starts roughly 20-25 kts depending on your weight, skill, and equipment and I’ve honestly haven’t found the top end yet.
You must like quite more power than me.

Me 202cm, 90 kg in wetsuit
moses 633
3m Peak 16-28 knts absolute, 18-25 sweetspot
Yea I do like a little grunt but I’m sure I could ride down to around that but I have a Soul 6m that I like better anyhow that I would ride instead. Personally for me my Soul 6m and Peak4 3m are pretty similar in drift and playfulness. Just the Peak is easier to do so. If I had to choose between the two, I’d pull the Soul out every time.
Thanks god we all like it different otherwise we would fight for same girls :)

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:48 pm

kriskris wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:03 pm
I weigh slightly less than you and use a similar foil. Above AVERAGE wind of 20 MPH I use a 3 meter, below 20 I use 4 a meter. I like the Peak 4 a lot but as my wave foiling has improved to the point where I can foil in head high or bigger waves, I am reaching the limit of what I can do with a kite, hence the beginning of my wind ding journey.
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
kriskris (Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

kriskris
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 162
Local Beach: Crack Park
Style: Foil
Gear: 633 Onda Peak4 8,5,4,3m

Postby kriskris » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:09 pm

Head High!!! How the hell do you get out through the brakeing waves? I hardly ride ocean because I can't get out. Is there any special technic or trick to going through the brake?

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:47 pm

kriskris wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:09 pm
Head High!!! How the hell do you get out through the brakeing waves? I hardly ride ocean because I can't get out. Is there any special technic or trick to going through the brake?
You take a beating and just keep trying and eventually pop out. Just search the foil forum for more detailed discussion.

Return to “Foil Kites”