Ocean rodeo flite 14.5m
Shinn king gee 146x46
Shinn monk gold 135x42
Liquid force thruster foil
Liquid force impulse foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fastest turning foil kites

Postby Kitehume » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:46 am

I use 12m soul from 7+ knots but use a 1200sqcm wing. No problems doing tacks with the bigger wing. Though I mostly down loop the kite to get more power when tacking.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:41 am

If you want something more sporty than a Soul, try an F-One Halo. I am 66kg and can tack my 10m Halo in 8kts no problem.

airsail
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Queens
Favorite Beaches: Queens, Scarbs
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Bularoo 7, Yaga Pro 11, HP10&12, FS Psycho2 17,
Cardboard 136x46, Nobile 555 131x40

Postby airsail » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:53 am

I find big wing become boring fairly quickly in light wind, they don’t crank upwind or glide like the small fast wings. I have several wings to choose from but tend to use the fast wing in the light stuff, though the 1200 is great in waves and swell.
The Peaks are great on a surf wing, but don’t go upwind fast, adequate but nothing like a closed cell foil, I own the 4 mtr Peak and it is great fun in swell on a surf wing.
I can tack the Soul 12, but it needs a downloop in the lighter stuff which I’m trying to get away from. I doubt a 10 foil kite of any brand would do better.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:15 am

For mid ratios, the best turning foilkite i tested (and have) is the f-one halo, followed by kitech FR:S and CA pulsion (just a bit longuer response time to initiate, but the equivalent). Frs and hallo remains excellent turning when slack lines, pulsion S not as good in slack lines.
Conceptair Wave should be excellent but not tested in large sizes.
Pansh a15 stop turning with slacklines

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:20 pm

airsail wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:53 am
I find big wing become boring fairly quickly in light wind, they don’t crank upwind or glide like the small fast wings. I have several wings to choose from but tend to use the fast wing in the light stuff, though the 1200 is great in waves and swell.
The Peaks are great on a surf wing, but don’t go upwind fast, adequate but nothing like a closed cell foil, I own the 4 mtr Peak and it is great fun in swell on a surf wing.
I can tack the Soul 12, but it needs a downloop in the lighter stuff which I’m trying to get away from. I doubt a 10 foil kite of any brand would do better.
Compared to the Halo, the Soul feels slow and heavy. A fast, responsive kite will generate power more instantly than a slower sluggish one, and this helps a lot with flying tacks. I never need to loop my kite on tacks even in the lightest winds (17m lines). Of course in super light winds, it is also important to have a good flow and keep board speed throughout the maneuver.

I hear the Capa is also in line with the Halo, both used the Soul as a benchmark when they were developed.

cnski
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby cnski » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:51 pm

Regis- The Halo turns faster than a FRS??!! That suprises me. I do know that my 12m FRS turns much faster than a 10m Soul.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:08 am

Soul is indeed not so agile.
Between frs and halo : my test was not back to back with same wind, same day, same size (8m halo vs 9 frs). So i miss a back to back test.
Overall the 3 kites (pulsion std, frs and halo. turn very well. Difference is maybe only on configuration znd on "details". For exemple:

- if line tensioned, pulsion has a little delay, but then it can turn more narrow without backstall and keep better speed even in narrow turn (wonterful for waterstarts boost or loop to climb mountains)

- frs turns without delay (like halo approx, great for transitions)

- frs turn still very good even if you ride toward the kite, (where pulsion turns wider at that slack line moment). Very useful in waves or beginners on hydrofoil in flying jibes. Could be excelent feature in wave but frs is a bit less stable slack lines unfortunatelly vs pulsion.

- halo : less test to detail that much but excellent overall even if a bit higher " flat" ratio IMO (but seems more c shape to compensate).

Halo has an original Trailing edge briddle architecture, i do not know if it explains this good turn

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:26 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:08 am
Halo has an original Trailing edge briddle architecture, i do not know if it explains this good turn
:?: I don't see anything original there, but it is looks decently designed.

ABC bridles are more original, actually I designed recently a foil kite which has quite similar construction and I was quite pleased with it.

Having more arc makes kite turn better because wingtips have more effect and kite has lower projected AR (wingspan)

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:34 am

Yes Halo is very logical and well thought design what comes to bridle, cell count, kite shape, air intakes, inner structure and AR. Very good design work there.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:52 am

yes briddles "floors" of the Z are original, don't you think ? ; what is this 3D illustration ? is it the Halo ? it does not seem so and seem very "classic" this one

Return to “Foil Kites”