Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak4 in 5 m2, truly stoked

For all foil kite riders
bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels

North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Firewire Evo, CrazyFly Doors, Naish Monarch, Naish Hover 155/150/125/130, AXIS 102/101/82 Foil, Zeeko XXLW Spitfire

WASP 3m/4m/6m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak4 in 5 m2, truly stoked

Postby bigtone667 » Mon May 04, 2020 7:48 am

I have now gone out in 10 to 15 knots and the Peak 4 8m works really well. No slack lining riding straight toward the kite. Pretty impressive. I think 27m lines is too long.

PrfctChaos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Mon May 04, 2020 7:59 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:22 am
I decided to use a Cloud CCS bar and fortunately had some pigtails in my car for what I thought were rather peculiar ring things (no judgement, I have never seen anything like it).
Mate, the ring things make it possible to use either knot or loop pigtails. So doesn't matter what pigtails the bar has, loops or knots front or back should all work.

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Mon May 04, 2020 8:03 am

The rings seem weird, but they are on loops, so you can use the loop or use the ring as a knot.

Once, one of my friends offered me his ozone Reo, but everything was backwards compared to the bar I normally use. So, it is a pretty good universal solution.

If it's flapping a lot, you're overpowered. Notice that it handles being overpowered just fine.

Just wait until you get a chance to try it in less wind.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
Nanu (Mon May 04, 2020 3:12 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne

North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Firewire Evo, CrazyFly Doors, Naish Monarch, Naish Hover 155/150/125/130, AXIS 102/101/82 Foil, Zeeko XXLW Spitfire

WASP 3m/4m/6m

Postby bigtone667 » Mon May 04, 2020 9:10 am

Trent hink wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:03 am
The rings seem weird, but they are on loops, so you can use the loop or use the ring as a knot.

Once, one of my friends offered me his ozone Reo, but everything was backwards compared to the bar I normally use. So, it is a pretty good universal solution.

If it's flapping a lot, you're overpowered. Notice that it handles being overpowered just fine.

I did that this afternoon in 10 to 15 knots. I was pretty happy. Next step is to shorten the lines.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Mon May 04, 2020 12:10 pm

bigtone667 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:10 am
Trent hink wrote:

I did that this afternoon in 10 to 15 knots. I was pretty happy. Next step is to shorten the lines.

I went from 23.5m lines on my 5m to 21m lines and it felt even better . . . may even try shorter with it.

The 3m is great on 21m lines and the 4m seems happy also though may try shorter on it if I set up a bar and shorter lines for the 5m.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster

WASP 3m/4m/6m

Postby bigtone667 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:46 pm

max wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:10 pm
bigtone667 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:10 am
Trent hink wrote:

I went from 23.5m lines on my 5m to 21m lines and it felt even better . . . may even try shorter with it.

The 3m is great on 21m lines and the 4m seems happy also though may try shorter on it if I set up a bar and shorter lines for the 5m.
I waited for about half an hour for the kite to get from one side of the window to the other on 27m of lines and 5m of bridle.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Mon May 04, 2020 12:53 pm

bigtone667 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:46 pm

I waited for about half an hour for the kite to get from one side of the window to the other on 27m of lines and 5m of bridle.
right . . . so it is ok for me to say that about the 5m and 23.5m lines :)

the 3m was the first Peak I tried and I thought awesome. Fast and lively. Somewhat like the 3.7 cloud feel but possibly quicker.

4m was more mellow.

5m feels too tame (like an 8m cloud maybe) . . . even on 21m lines + 5m bridles and so that is why I will try even shorter lines again just to see.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon May 04, 2020 1:45 pm

Yesterday had the 5m on 17m lines because of tight launch spot. That felt just right. Puts the kite at 22m from the rider... pretty much where I like Lei kites. Felt great so I won’t try extensions until I struggle for a water start. Relegates my bar with 27m lines to the bin in the kite cave. Can’t imagine using it with this kite. A 5m would look so puny from 32m away! I’m really looking forward to finding my personal bottom end with this kite.

@flyboy. There are plenty of reviews about how they fly, I wanted to highlight what the safe and easily controlled launch and land mean to the overall picture...it’s not trivial! I launched in about 10 knot, and backed it down in closer to 14 and didn’t weigh it down. On landing it didn’t move, but I jogged to it pretty quick and put my harness on it. It’s so light you can’t expect it to stay put in much wind. The kind of kite I will land in behind things wherever possible. Certainly zero drama yesterday right in the middle of its wind range.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Mon May 04, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Mon May 04, 2020 1:48 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:45 pm
Yesterday had the 5m on 17m lines because of tight launch spot. That puts the kite at 22m from the rider... pretty much where I like to use my Lei kites. Felt great so I won’t try it with extensions until I struggle for a water start. Put my bar with 27m lines in the kite cave for now. A 5m would look so puny from 32m away!
I have tended to like 23.5m setup with my LEI so plan is to try around 18.5m line set . . . and I just happen to have an 18m line set :D

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon May 04, 2020 2:41 pm

18m will be sweet. I think most people will feel at home quickly if they use lines 5m shorter than their LEI's. Keeps the timing in the same ballpark. 5m bridles are as long as a big set of extension, which change the timing significantly.

Foil kiters will say I told you so, but losing the pump opens up more of the Peak's unique utility. The speed and dexterity while launching this kite coupled with the distance covering ability of the hydrofoil on the water broadens the horizons when compared to doing the sport with LEI or even closed cell foils only. Really divorces the launch from both the spot you wanna ride and the spot you want to exit. I'm happy to hike more than a km to launch if it means I can get out safely then cover a few km on the water to a desired riding spot then exit literally anywhere conveniently close to the car. Safe quick and easy water ditch exit is another plus. The kite is nothing but nylon ripstop. No water gets trapped inside, so a lot less hesitation to get it wet when convenient. A single skin will dry really fast. Ultra fast if yo have a spot to throw it in the air.

The flying is the flying, and it’s brilliant. The utility is an all together different story that warrants mention. This kite is a gorilla kiters dream. My quiver just got a lot better.

Return to “Foil Kites”