Flysurfer Peak4 in 5 m2, truly stoked

For all foil kite riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer Peak4 in 5 m2, truly stoked

Postby tomtom » Sun May 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:16 am
I asked on the general topic on peak 4 but with non answer yet , so maybe here :
I want to buy and test one :-) question is would better suit 4m or 5m in may case (as a tarter since I understand 3 and 4 and 5 are required :-) ); for memory : 63 kg, 1200cm2 Ketos ; my wave kite for highest winds is CA Wave 3m ;

I was initially on a 5m but looking at some comment , I am now hesitating with a 4m ; I do not look for lowest wind, more in the range of 12-18 knots where rare waves here start to raise. one big criteria would be the comfort wind range and absolute wind range since conditions here maybe a bit gusty

Merci for your advices
Horst /Sergio/ is similar weight than you and /absolute/ low end for him and 3m Peak is 12 knts. I can positively comfortable ride 4m from 15knts and 3m from 18knts. /86 kg naked - 90kg in wetsuit/
moses onda 633. I will go for 4m in your case.
The smaller the Peak the more sensitive is to trim and oversheet in general. But i think you are competent kite flyer and those are things you can use to your advantage.
I also thinks that Peak are not for people who like power. To be really powered on Peak you have really small margin till it start flapping.
I dont know how much power you really want. My biggest kite is 9m and im scared of everything bigger than 12m. :)

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sun May 10, 2020 3:25 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:16 am
I asked on the general topic on peak 4 but with non answer yet , so maybe here :
I want to buy and test one :-) question is would better suit 4m or 5m in may case (as a tarter since I understand 3 and 4 and 5 are required :-) ); for memory : 63 kg, 1200cm2 Ketos ; my wave kite for highest winds is CA Wave 3m ;

I was initially on a 5m but looking at some comment , I am now hesitating with a 4m ; I do not look for lowest wind, more in the range of 12-18 knots where rare waves here start to raise. one big criteria would be the comfort wind range and absolute wind range since conditions here maybe a bit gusty

Merci for your advices
Hi Regis.

I'm very close to your weight at 65kg and the first Peak4 I purchased was the 3m! This was because I'd only just read Horst's review and wanted to try and see if the Peak4's were any good but didn't want to spend too much money :D

However once I tried the 3m a couple of times I quickly purchased the 5m and between these two kites I could cover a wind range from under 10 knots to over 25 knots. I tend to use the 5m 65% of the time and 3m 35% of the time. That meant I could use these two Peak4 kites for 90% of the wind at my beach. I have a Moses 633 and 679 foil and mainly use the 679 as it's close to the 633 at low speeds but has a much higher top end. So your Ketos 1200cm2 wing is similar to what I use.

To decide which kite to buy first it depends on the wind you get most of the time at your location. If you get a lot of wind in the 12 to 18 knot range then the 4m would probably be the best size. If most of the wind is 10 to 16 knots then the 5m could be more fun. I don't think you could go wrong with either kite but the 5m is probably the easiest to just get on and fly with as it takes very little getting used to, regardless of previous kites you have flown.

However you are correct, one Peak4 is not enough, and to have a kite that fits every strength of wind perfectly, I have a 4m Peak4 arriving this week to join the 3m, 5m and 8m Peak4's 8)
I look forward to your review.
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post (total 2):
a99 (Sun May 10, 2020 9:43 pm) • bitxopalo (Wed May 19, 2021 11:05 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun May 10, 2020 4:31 pm

Thanks for your support ; reading your advise plus one friend who knows all sizes of CA Wave well and had a peak up to some month, I think I will go for the 5m . Indeed I think that this 5m size will be the most compulsary in the end of the story even if I had started with a 4m ;

Ok, with the 5m there will certainly be a too large gap with my Wave 3m (16-20 knots), so I may use a LEI (that I keep for TT riding anyhow) and maybe later decide to go for either a new peak 4 (4m) or a CA wave 4.5 (my friend choice) for its larger wind range , unfortunately useful in our spots in south of France; This second choice, I can decide after some trials of the 5m peak depending If a have a frequent use of the peak (surfing with enough wave frequency, snowkite) or a real need for a larger wind range (CA Wave with still some excellent abilities to Wave i 17 knots, my friend final choice loving the 4.5 Wave) ;

Not 100% sure it is the best choice but at least its builds my own "logical purchase Story" in my brain, which is the most important when buying kites with pleasure, no ? 8) ;

... ti sum-up I guess that the most adding value of the peak is its lightness and its agility, and drift , which justify mostly in medium winds vs a heavier Wave, so in favor of peak4 5m ; while for stronger winds, this weight-agility gap vs CA Wave will have less impact when it comme to lower sizes (weight less important while comfort in gusts is) ; do you follow my complicated brain ? :D

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun May 10, 2020 4:52 pm

12-18 for 63kg and big wing is 4m Peak sweetspot - unless you want be heavy powered. If its possible try it first.
Peak is great kite but not overpowered. Then its sound machine.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Sun May 10, 2020 5:42 pm

Regis, I only have the peak in 8 meter which I have only used with a mountain board but quite like. In the winds you are asking about I use Fireflies in 6 and 4. Which I prefer for use with the surf hydrofoil because of the ability to relaunch and great drift. As much as I like them I use my Wave 4.5 and 3 when it is very gusty. They have a bigger power spike to get me going and have a much bigger comfortable range. The fireflies can handle a large range but flap a lot when heavily depowered.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun May 10, 2020 9:14 pm

So my take-away from the (lengthy) Peak4 discussions:

The Peak4 has significant functional advantages: it is compact & light making it is easy to transport. It is relatively powerful for its size. It is relatively inexpensive. It can be launched & landed in situations that would be very difficult/impossible with an LEI.

The major functional disadvantage is that it is not (reliably) water-relaunchable.

The Peak4 has some attractive performance advantages: it drifts exceptionally well & is light & easy to maneuver, all of which makes it fun for foiling, especially in smaller waves. It will fly in lighter wind than any other kite of comparable power.

The major performance disadvantage is that it has a relatively narrow sweet spot & makes a lot of noise when overpowered.

The one thing that makes me hesitate to buy a Peak4 is the general opinion that it is not the "ideal" kite for light-wind foiling. There seems to be a lack of enthusiasm for the larger sizes & an acknowledgement that the performance of the larger sizes is not optimal for sub 10 knot conditions. The disappointing part of this, is that a performing low wind kite is something that everyone can use, whereas the smaller sizes of Peak4 have more obvious cross-over with 4m - 9m tube kites ... and smaller tube kites in 12 knots plus are reliably water-relaunchable, while Peak4s are not.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
a99 (Sun May 10, 2020 9:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun May 10, 2020 9:44 pm

dont buy peaks. If demands rise sharply - they will sell them for more.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun May 10, 2020 9:50 pm

What i was trying to say from beginning /even by PM to Peter F./ is that you are in impression that you have good functional kite in your smaller LEI. That small LEI can be heavy because you are using it stronger wind where everything will fly etc etc. But not you have not. You have almost dysfunctional piece of equipment. And you dont know about it till you try Peak.

As bold as it sound - it is what it is :)

verkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Any beach with wind, warm water, beautiful women and cold beer

Postby verkiter » Sun May 10, 2020 10:08 pm

So many pages in the Peak threads but I don’t remember seeing this question being asked
or being mentioned. Please correct me if it has!
“LIFT” on the Peaks. NOT jumping but lift during a transistion and foot change. I fly Speeds and they obviously have a nice lift when you’re doing a flying foot change transistion. I fly older Peaks in the winter on snow but unless I really send it they are pretty sedate when it comes to lift. (still love them though!!)
How are the new Peaks on water for lift during transistions?
Thanks guys!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun May 10, 2020 10:21 pm

tomtom wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:50 pm
What i was trying to say from beginning /even by PM to Peter F./ is that you are in impression that you have good functional kite in your smaller LEI. That small LEI can be heavy because you are using it stronger wind where everything will fly etc etc. But not you have not. You have almost dysfunctional piece of equipment. And you dont know about it till you try Peak.

As bold as it sound - it is what it is :)
What is fascinating about this, is the "back-to-the-future" aspect. Having spent 20 years moving away from the original open cell traction kites & towards ever-more refined LEI kites ... we are now moving back to the simplicity of simple foil kites!

Return to “Foil Kites”