HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: Flysurfer Peak4 in 5 m2, truly stoked

Postby bragnouff » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:19 am

ice wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:30 am
bragnouff wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:29 pm
8m still does the job very well for me in light winds. Not extreme light winds possibly, but in the 8-12kts range, it just works.
Your weight and foil board and wing please?

I have the 5m and am considering the 8m.
95kg, Zeeko Scrambler 4'8 and a GoFoil Kai ~1200cm²
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
ice (Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:44 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jatem » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:09 am

ice wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:32 am
jatem wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:22 pm
I held off for 6 months on buying an 8m, because people proposed it wouldn't be any good in light wind. I should have bought it earlier. I use it heaps, and I'm nicely powered from around 9 knots. It's a great size for days when the wind is below 13 knots, and it floats like magic in the lulls. If you have the 3,4 and 5m peak already, then it's a good addition to your quiver.
Your weight and foil board and wing please?
76kg, 1m J shapes pocket board, 900cm² wing.
These users thanked the author jatem for the post:
ice (Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:45 am)

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:22 am

Thanks Peter for your review, and sharing the stoke! 😀

Just something to add to the discussion for anyone reading this without prior knowledge on the peak 4

It is a snowkite and officially NOT water relaunchable!
But many take the risk because it stays in the air so well. Just know you'll get it in the water sooner or later especially in waves so always make sure you can swim in.

The other thing: Peter you are very experienced and skilled in foiling, so using a 5m in 10 knts like you did is not something everyone can do IMHO.

I only have the 4m, and with just 9 months of experience foiling I can use it well around 20 knts but around and below 16 it's a struggle for me (Zeeko spitfire LW @73 kg).

In the smaller sizes it's a fast kite and a bit technical with the tendency to stall or fly backward if oversheeted.
It's simple to fly when properly powered but it requires more skill when underpowered.

That being said: enjoy the new stoke and keep us posted!

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:43 am

my cents: I'm 80kg and ride Onda 633 with 109 pocket board. I'm riding the 5m at the max low end in winds of 4,5ms average and 5,2ms gusts. We have wind meter at kite level and steady winds so it's easy to check the low end. This was however that it's better to be on the foil, and never come off because getting back on foil is hard as you know, but it is doable by pumping the board and putting all skills to work :) If gusts are 6ms then zero problem.

I think it's important to be specific what wind (avg. or gusts) you are referring to as 5ms avg is very different for 5m Peak than 5ms gusts => in the former case I'll be comfortably riding and in the latter not.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:22 am

flying doctor wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:22 am
I only have the 4m, and with just 9 months of experience foiling I can use it well around 20 knts but around and below 16 it's a struggle for me (Zeeko spitfire LW @73 kg).
When I tested my old trusty ULW setup (Flydoor XL TT-board on single digit winds in knots) with first time on water with Peak4 5m, I (0.11t) was able to ride/plane in less than 16kn. Although downwind a bit, I could not maintain ground but important is that I could plane on TT and keep power on long ride with board on water, and after the Peak-test I switched to 15m2 Sonic-2 -kite and smaller twintip. Sure I aim to use Peak4 5m on hydrofoil but the beach was shallow and water ice cold so I did not want to body drag hundreds of meters out.

So the Peak4-kite has plenty of power, if you are struggling, are you suffocating the kite by oversheeting with bar? Let it fly fast forward about "half sheeted" as starting point. Try to fly speedy arcs with kite instead of too quick turns. Sure there is a limit when "speed flying" the kite won't bring enough power but I feel that 16kn is already a storm and you should be going easily on that kind of wind even with 1m smaller kite as you are much lighter than I am.. :)
Last edited by joriws on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:27 am

Love my Peak — I have the 5m and it’s my main kite for foiling. Currently riding an Axis S foil with the 680 wing. One of my favourite things to do is to catch the “downwinder bus” with all the paddlers up the coast and kite back. No need to take a pump - it’s so simple to use. I’ve crashed mine a few times and relaunched it successfully. I wouldn’t say it’s guaranteed and I’ve probably been lucky, but so far so good.

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:15 pm

tomtom wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:02 pm
Also I will soon post my version of unhooked bar for almost wind wing sensation from Peaks
Please do that! Thank you. :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:34 am

Regarding upwind ability, out yesterday with the 5 m2 on a low AR wave wing not very powered, at least as high than when I am out on my LEIs:

Nice to know, as I have read some saying it does not, so almost convinced myself about this before riding ha haa - stupid :rollgrin:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
jumptheshark (Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:00 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:39 pm

Okay, a bit off topic, as this thread was about the 5 m2 I know,

But today out in my local beach, wind average around 18 knots, and the 3 m2 was amazing !
First time riding with this one.

Of course very sensitive to trim, and you can pivot loop it on a dime, if you pull the bar too much, looks like a propeller spinning round, incredible :rollgrin:
But it does not take long till you know precisely where it is, and how to sheet :D

Anyways, today some medium wind waves and going downwind kite low, it could be depowered so I could ride freely, sooooooo great !!!

Had a blast today :thumb:

Have ordered a 4 and an 8 m2 now, I am stoked as said, now even more....

It might be on the lower end of a 3 m2, but it worked just splendidly today :rollgrin:
Image7.jpg

Sometimes I crash bigtime even in the small inside waves ha haa
Image8.jpg
But it was a fun day, with so many more options with a kite like this :lol:
Image14.jpg
8) Peter

ice
Medium Poster

Postby ice » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:21 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:34 am
Regarding upwind ability, out yesterday with the 5 m2 on a low AR wave wing not very powered, at least as high than when I am out on my LEIs:

Nice to know, as I have read some saying it does not, so almost convinced myself about this before riding ha haa - stupid :rollgrin:

8) Peter
I am one that finds the upwind ability not as good as my wave lei's at the low end of the kite. I am thinking rider weight makes a difference - I am 90 kg.

If I am in the kite sweet spot, the upwind ability is the same as my wave lei.

Return to “Foil Kites”