Gear: Duotone Dice 6, 9, 12.
Duotone Clickbar 22-24
Duotone whip SLS 5'1
Mystic Majestic 2020 Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Gin Marabou - Single-surface Kite

Postby andikite » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi all,

Time to innovation? I have not seen any similar kite concept on the market. Big leading edge and single surface in trailing edge. After watching the promo video I could see that trailing edge lost the profile shape very easily, so in terms of performances it won't be the best one. In terms of light wind a full cell foil must be more powerful, so I have no clair what is the target of Gin with this kite.

Any comments?

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Re: Gin Marabou - Single-surface Kite

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Mon May 04, 2020 11:50 am

Same general concept as the Shaman 3 or Peak 4 or Ozone Explore. Lightweight, compactable, durable easy to transport and possessing a broad wind range. But unlike the Shaman, Peak or Ozone, it has a closed cell leading edge to allow for water relaunch.

The Marabous I've sold have gone to people who want to travel light, just a couple kites and a split board.

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Mon May 04, 2020 2:45 pm

It is not meant to be a performance kite but it is lot of fun and versatile. It is relatively fast-turning in comparison with other foil kites, light, easy launch, good wind range.

Mitchel_12000
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mitchel_12000 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:21 pm

Sorry for digging up an old topic, but how's the high end of the small marabou's? I'm considering buying a 6m for 25+ knots but only can find low end reviews of this kite.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:49 pm

There has been amazingly little info or reports about these kite, especially from freeride hydrofoilers. If I were in marketing for these guys I would have sent demo kites out to the kiteforum influencers like Horst, Peter, Regis and others to get some feedback and hopefully decent publicity.

This is not so useful but hopefully better than nothing: If you are foiling with a big foil, based on my experience with the closest kite to this, the concept air firefly, I would expect that the useful range of the 6m to be something like 12-18knots (i.e. similar to the peak 5m). I have the 4m firefly which has a very similar design to the Gin, and 25 knots is a bit outside of its comfortable upper range. Overall I find the firefly to have a narrow sweet spot for foiling just like the peak. Small twin skins have a much bigger range - I am comparing with the concept air wave 4.5 , but others have mentioned the soul 6m as having a much bigger comfortable range. So overall I'd say compare with similar sized "peak" rather than "soul" when comparing ranges. Happy to be corrected by someone who knows wtf they are talking about :)

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:18 pm

I had a 9 and still have a 6. Merl is spot on. It has the flight characteristics of a Peak4 but a sealed leading edge making water launch easier. The single skin paragliders are also adding leading edge cells so I would venture that there is a flight difference that is greater than the relaunch.

The wind range is narrow and 25 knots is definitely out of the sweet spot. I would say top end on the single skins is not a risk of excess pull that is dangerous but more comfort. The kite flaps a lot and is draggy when fully depowered. The power is on-off and “on” may be more than wanted on a hydrofoil but fine for setting an edge and cranking up wind on a surf or skin. Plus there is a need to power up to correct the kites flight from time to time. This behavior is similar to the Peak.

I did take it for one session on a skim board in 20-25 knots and it was fun. I was quite pleased with the upwind compared to flying peaks on anything but a foil. But I would not buy for this use. The real reason to get one is to have a single skin like a peak and also more friendly relaunch on water.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:19 pm

Hi Jake,

Have you had a chance to do a bit of a head to head with the Peak4?

Would love to hear some direct comparison power and handling wise.

Bit weird the Peak has attracted such interest where there is not a lot of feedback on either the Marabou or the Ozone Explore.

Sceotend
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 90 kg
Local Beach: Kallvik
Style: Snowkiting
Gear: Peak 4, 8m
Peak 5, 5m
Pansh Hawk 9m

Postby Sceotend » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:38 pm

There is also Born-kites, I have a Nasa Star 4, which is a real gem. Born has many depowers too like high AR Race Star line. I think it should then have better peak power than Peak. Why don't Stars attracted more interest?
Last edited by Sceotend on Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:10 pm

Not to take away from the Marabou thread. Might need a separate single skin thread.

Born is indeed another.

does Concept Air make a single skin?

Cont OT single skin discussion here:

viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2409442

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:32 pm

I had the set, now have just the 6m and 4m. The 12m and 9m were just too grunty, not enough speed.

My experience echoes what others have said:
6m range with a 1100cm^2 foil is about 12-18mph, 4m range is 15-22mph or so. Narrow wind range.

They are fun to fly on short lines. They handle gusty turbulent wind great. Drift wonderful. Small sheet range on the bar. I replaced the rings with pulleys, much better feel. Fabric is ok; stays wet longer than my other kites.

Return to “Foil Kites”