Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do Peak4 kites work with waveboards?

For all foil kite riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Do Peak4 kites work with waveboards?

Postby Flyboy » Fri May 08, 2020 7:16 pm

tomtom wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:07 pm
relaunch is overrated :)
For foiling I would agree. I'm not sure I've ever dropped my kite while foiling ... except when the wind was so light that I couldn't relaunch the LEI anyway (& one time I fell &managed to get the bar under the board & the lines either side of the mast - not pretty).

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri May 08, 2020 7:59 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:42 pm
So are you saying the Peter Frank universe has no longer has any place in it for tube kites? :o

It has to be said, while keeping a single skin foil out of the water while kite foiling seems pretty realistic, it seems like it would be a bit more problematic when wave riding more aggressively with a SB. Even though dropping the kite in waves doesn't happen that often ... it does happen: dipping the kite too close to the water while bottom turning, misjudging the wave breaking & getting washed towards the kite & losing line tension etc. These are likely to be session ending events with a Peak4, I imagine.

No, I dont say this, just first impressions on one single day :wink:

But if you get the kite down and cant relaunch, it is not the end of the session, you just swim ashore and relaunch and go out again :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Fri May 08, 2020 8:01 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:19 am

Riding Down The Line was great, felt soooo much more free, could stay high on the wave if I wanted to, easy, just surf along DTL, or make powered high speed lay down bottom turns, if I wanted to (the last is the only option almost, with tubes)

A high level of freedom added

:thumb:

stefFZ
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless surfing
Gear: Concept Air Waves & Pulsions. Still a couple of Flysurfers P4.

Postby stefFZ » Fri May 08, 2020 9:14 pm

Flyfish wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:01 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:19 am

Riding Down The Line was great, felt soooo much more free, could stay high on the wave if I wanted to, easy, just surf along DTL, or make powered high speed lay down bottom turns, if I wanted to (the last is the only option almost, with tubes)

A high level of freedom added

:thumb:
That is what for the Concept Air wave was designed too. The drift is very good and the wind range is a lot larger than single skins. My 8.5 goes from 15 to 35knots and I am still surfing in the upper wind range not surviving. I really liked the firefly which does compare to the peak but with a nearly 100% water relaunch ability ;-) but I had to trade too much for the drift in the surf (I flew the Fifrefily 4m and the 6m). Since the wave, I have stopped trying to improve my kites quiver (I even double some sizes to be sure I will always have a change) and I am now focusing on surfboard (even a longboard kite project). I use the waves for snowkiting as well as their windrange and agility is great for touring / snowkiting. I am not selling anything here but for wave rider (even tube riders), the wave is really a kite to try, it is a game changer. Remark: it has to be used with sufboards with are not pushing too much water, i.e. high rocker boards which ride with the power of the kite (that you don't know what to do with once in the wave).

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri May 08, 2020 9:44 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:59 pm
Flyboy wrote:
So are you saying the Peter Frank universe has no longer has any place in it for tube kites? :o

It has to be said, while keeping a single skin foil out of the water while kite foiling seems pretty realistic, it seems like it would be a bit more problematic when wave riding more aggressively with a SB. Even though dropping the kite in waves doesn't happen that often ... it does happen: dipping the kite too close to the water while bottom turning, misjudging the wave breaking & getting washed towards the kite & losing line tension etc. These are likely to be session ending events with a Peak4, I imagine.

No, I dont say this, just first impressions on one single day :wink:

But if you get the kite down and cant relaunch, it is not the end of the session, you just swim ashore and relaunch and go out again :rollgrin:

8) Peter
That depends a lot on where you are & what your launch is like. Conditions are so variable around the world - people on Kiteforum tend to think their conditions are the same that everyone else encounters!

I hate this equipment "upgrading" business. So everyone who went out & bought Clouds or other strutless kites to use foiling now has to chuck them out for Peak4's ... & then aluula kites ... & then... :cry:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri May 08, 2020 9:54 pm

tomtom wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:07 pm
relaunch is overrated :)
until you ditch.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Fri May 08, 2020 10:02 pm

Flyboy wrote:

Again... I'm with Pete.

Not sure just yet. Will seriously consider and likely cave into my want for a 4 and then 3m Peak. No...... no, I have more than enough.... but they really are different..... no,,, no, in real big conditions, your gonna want that relaunch..... cmon,,,,, you know your never going to put it in the drink, its a different style.... no, you wanna loop, you want that drift launch.... they are practically brand new single strut and perfect..... nah maybe I could sell em and get a 4m right away... f***!

No seriously. I have to have a few sessions on big swell in real 25+ knots and be "disappointed" to want to shed my quiver of single strut LEIs. Big conditions... are different.

The Peak is all that and a bag of chips, but I still want to drift launch, and on the really meaty days, I pretty much always ditch my kite multiple times and very much appreciate that I can pop it back up stress free EVERY TIME.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 09, 2020 1:11 am

Never evaluate in general based on local conditions, agree.

But by far, most wave spots around the world are quite close to the shore, and not offshore winds.

And those not or risky, will know.

8) Peter

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat May 09, 2020 1:52 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:11 am
Never evaluate in general based on local conditions, agree.

But by far, most wave spots around the world are quite close to the shore, and not offshore winds.

And those not or risky, will know.

8) Peter
I'm thinking of Cabarete where the reef (downwind of KB) is a decent distance offshore - not impossible to swim in for sure, but not something you want to do on a regular basis. Realistically, I don't ditch my kite often, but it does happen. My local wave spot also has a "reef" about 300 - 400 metres offshore. Riding shore break would be a different thing.

I do like "simplicity in my gear. For a long time I have basically used one surfboard for everything. I have a quiver of 2015 wave kites that I'm perfectly happy with. The addition of foiling has complicated things a bit, but was happy to use my wave kites with the foil. I have been considering getting a strut less or one strut kite in a 10-12m size for "light days'", but have held off. The Peak4 (from all accounts) doesn't really fit the bill as a "light wind" optimized kite, but rather as a replacement for the wave kites for foiling. The next question would be, do the Peak4s replace the wave kites for SB wave riding? That's kinda blowing my mind. :nervous:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Sat May 09, 2020 2:39 am

No idea if peaks work with a surfboard but I do know that knowing you can’t relaunch means you ride a peak differently than an LEI. That’s not actually a draw back. You don’t need to fly it as much so are less aggressive with the kite independent of how hard your riding. It sits at the top and just goes right or left. You can downloop for fun, you can pinwheel it for fun, but it’s not necessary for power or placement. Certainly out on a reef, it’s just not likely a skilled kiter would take chances and drop it.

Return to “Foil Kites”