Local Beach: Bahrain
Style: Allround
Gear: Cabrinha Choas
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Speed System on a Ozone Hyperlink

Postby Richard81 » Tue May 05, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi,
I am still pretty new to foil kites and recently noticed my Hyperlink V2 wasn't behaving quite as well as it should in very light wind, I checked the Speed System and the C line was approximately 6cm shorter than the A & B. As Ozone don't have an adjustable system as standard is there anything to stop me from adding an extra bit of kite line to make them all equal again?
Sorry if this has been covered already, I did look but couldn't find this exact question answered.

Cheers,

Rich

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NewBrighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool for 6 months in summer
Flag beach on fuerteventura for 6 months in winter.
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach fuerteventura, off season/6months
Home - NewBrighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 120,carbon 2020 edition
101cm + 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kites - 9 +11mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in,23 mtr lines
duotone click bar 2020
massive grin

Re: Speed System on a Ozone Hyperlink

Postby Foil » Tue May 05, 2020 4:21 pm

As far as I know yes, its quite straightforward.
before I bought my ozone hyperlinks V1 and V2 and chrono V3, which all have the same speed system, I checked the videos Gunnar the pro rider and Ozone dealer has done, and there is one in there where he shows him adjusting the speed system on the beach, and it all looks easy to do,
checkout his videos here -- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnn5Nj ... bWC4uAEyDg

my sailing buddy also has 3 - V3 chrono kites and 1 hyperlink, he is 2 years in now with these kites and uses them often, maybe 3 times a week every week and neither of us has had to do any adjustments, yet!

mind you a guy who I met on flag beach 3 months back who has a well used hyperlink came over to me showing me his one frayed line on the speed system, the one that runs through the orbit pulley, I said easy just get the spare one you should have a set of 3 for your kite, ozone give you spares of the lines than run through the pulley, he looked at me with sad eyes and told me he had left them at home, he popped off to Gunnars shop and Gunnar replaced the worn line for him.

so watch you rinse them pulleys after each session to keep them spinning freely,
I did see gunnar the day after and he said all my ozone kites v1 and v2 Hlinks and chrono V3 use exactly the same speed system, so the spare line kit that comes with these kites is compatible between the kites, and are the correct lengths and colour coded, so I only need to take one set of spare lines with me to the beach, not all 4 spare sets

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP

Postby gmb13 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:31 pm

Richard81 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:03 pm
Hi,
I am still pretty new to foil kites and recently noticed my Hyperlink V2 wasn't behaving quite as well as it should in very light wind, I checked the Speed System and the C line was approximately 6cm shorter than the A & B. As Ozone don't have an adjustable system as standard is there anything to stop me from adding an extra bit of kite line to make them all equal again?
Sorry if this has been covered already, I did look but couldn't find this exact question answered.

Cheers,

Rich
Hi Rich.

Are you sure you are checking in properly? 6cm is way too much. You would not get that much shrinkage from normal use.

If you need to adjust it, you can do it with pigtails, but please check if you did the test properly.

I made a video a while back on the long Speed System Test where I show how to reallign the the system with pigtails:

You should however do the short speed system check from the manual first.

--
Gunnar

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue May 05, 2020 7:03 pm

Richard, something is wrong here. My 2 v1 and v2 hyperlink flew perfect out of the bag and the v1 with 250 hours plus is flying perfectly without any changes or adjustments.

Richard81
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bahrain
Style: Allround
Gear: Cabrinha Choas
Been thanked: 0

Postby Richard81 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:25 am

Thanks for the replies, I will re-check them later. The front lines from the bar also had some serious stretch, could that contribute to the kite bridal stretching?
We have had a lot of southerlies recently which are very up and down, have resorted to leaving different boards on the beach and swapping them rather than changing kite. This has meant that I have been out on the 13m in winds gusting well over 20 knots... I am also 95kg which probably doesn't help.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP

Postby gmb13 » Wed May 06, 2020 6:11 pm

Richard81 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:25 am
Thanks for the replies, I will re-check them later. The front lines from the bar also had some serious stretch, could that contribute to the kite bridal stretching?
We have had a lot of southerlies recently which are very up and down, have resorted to leaving different boards on the beach and swapping them rather than changing kite. This has meant that I have been out on the 13m in winds gusting well over 20 knots... I am also 95kg which probably doesn't help.
You mean the backlines have considerable shrinkage. Lines do not stretch in the long run. If your backlines have shrunk that is more likely to be causing your backstall. Also if your C is really 6cm shorter than A the kite would be collapsing the tips like crazy and would barely fly.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
Richard81 (Thu May 07, 2020 10:27 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Return to “Foil Kites”