Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Pansh Aeolus V2

Postby PullStrings » Thu May 14, 2020 4:48 pm

cassianv wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:29 am
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about kitexpert
Here is the proof :
21m FS VMG + 2 cell + 4 cell gap x 8.586m + 25.758m = 3 ABC rows+ 17% + 4row x 50% x 100m +25m

Chusss
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Valencia - Spain
Favorite Beaches: Somo - Spain
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12&21
Flyboard Radical M
Surfboard fish 5 10
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Chusss » Sun May 17, 2020 5:28 pm

Wow!
Thank you all for sharing your wisdom. It is very useful...
I things I am going to wait to see what R1V4 and VMG V2 are like and then decide for one of them
😃

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun May 17, 2020 5:58 pm

cassianv wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:29 am
Bridles are significantly lighter weight than straps. You can also use even thinner bridles when you divide them more, so not as much drag as the extra 25m implies.
Foilholio, It doesn’t matter how much thinner the bridles are, more will always create more drag.
derek440 wrote:
I agree that there is current debate about how much to put extra cloth (and weight) in the kite to lower the drag of bridles, the problem is evidence and the trend is pointing away from what you are saying. Having minimal structure in the kite is light but you need more bridles and yes they can be thinner, but the problem is this isn't faster. Both the new VMG2 and R1v4 have been designed to win the '24 olympics and both companies have decided to load the kites with more cloth for more rigidity (is this really that different from stiffness?). Ozone have talked of design trade-off as you mentioned trying to keep too much weight out of the kite, but FS in the new VMG2 are massively focusing on rigidity of the kite and a massive reduction in bridles and they are sure from their testing that its better and faster. The rumour I heard is that FS have reduced the amount of bridle in VMG2 by as much as 40% when the final bridles and systems are finished (only wing has to be locked in by the May 1 deadline), and also R1v4 I heard has at least 40m less bridle. R1v3 has thinner and less bridles than v2, and v1 had no diagonal bracing and was unstable, too heavy and had too much bridle. They also had to use heavier cloth for the whole kite as the outer layers were load bearing, the internal bracing is what allowed subsequent R1's to be so light and rigid and to have such tiny bridles. To prove the new VMG2 is on the right track with bridle/drag reduction Theo rode the new VMG2 in La Ventanna earlier this year and blew away the competition by a very long way.
Hey where are you getting your VMG2 info? I’d love to follow the progress.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun May 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:58 pm

Foilholio, It doesn’t matter how much thinner the bridles are, more will always create more drag.
Yes, many thin lines is worse than few thicker lines. Also his earlier calculations of bridle line lengths were rubbish.

It shouldn't be too difficult to understand if there is 2x as many primary bridle lines there will be significantly more bridle line (=line drag) in total. And if design is clumsy (like it so far has been in Pansh kites) 100% more bridle line is possible compared to current top end products - not to mention next generation models (VMG2, R1v4).

Return to “Foil Kites”