Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone Kite water drains

For all foil kite riders
mcfly777
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Coyote Point, Half Moon Bay Half Moon Bay (SF Bay Area)
Gear: Kite + board
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Ozone Kite water drains

Postby mcfly777 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:20 pm

Hello
I have an Ozone Chrono V2 9m. I feel that I have very little time to relaunch before the kite fills with water. It's a second-hand kite, so the canopy material may be too porous. I can usually fix the reason for the kite dropping in the water, and am able to stand it on it's trailing edge, but the water simply doesn't drain.

- is there a technique to can be used to drain the water?
- the only outlets that I see are in the tips. I was considering unstitching (and reinforcing the stitching where it ends) so there's a drain in the trailing edge. It appears that the middle always gets too heavy and the water doesn't go to the tips. Is this a good idea?

thanks

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Re: Ozone Kite water drains

Postby jyka » Fri May 29, 2020 11:22 pm

I have v2 13m and yep, it takes water inside quite easily.. In high winds I have re-launched the kite and water came out from the tips. I bet it's better if you can keep the kite one tip down at the time. If you keep it laying trailing edge down the water won't flow to tips.
I have also dropped it to water in marginal wind (foiling in 6 knots) and after it takes water inside, it's impossible to relaunch. When I empty it on the beach, water seems to stuck to some channels.

And don't keep the kite LE down on water, if you do so and there is pull, it will fill water. I don't think it's about porous cloth

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat May 30, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi mcfly777,
I expect your canopy is fine (but if you go to a paraglider shop they might be able to test it for you)
Chrono V1 and (also V2 as im remember) just has a to small drainage.
Drainage is not just the outlet / last hole but all cells.

Here is how to correct it as I have done with my V1 and now can do any drift launch I want.
viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2396325&p=983781#p983781

Another mod can be to additionally cut out the mesh from the intaces to give it significant more breath and so internal pressure which also helps a lot for relauch.
Last time I had both problems was with a duotone capa, but as said, nothing you can't solve with a scissor. :wink:

mcfly777
Medium Poster

Postby mcfly777 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:13 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:38 pm
Hi mcfly777,
I expect your canopy is fine (but if you go to a paraglider shop they might be able to test it for you)
Chrono V1 and (also V2 as im remember) just has a to small drainage.
Drainage is not just the outlet / last hole but all cells.

Here is how to correct it as I have done with my V1 and now can do any drift launch I want.
viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2396325&p=983781#p983781

Another mod can be to additionally cut out the mesh from the intaces to give it significant more breath and so internal pressure which also helps a lot for relauch.
Last time I had both problems was with a duotone capa, but as said, nothing you can't solve with a scissor. :wink:
Hi Sergio thanks so much for this. So I understand the part about punching holes, you mean to add these small holes to the pieces that divide the cells front to back, right at the trailing edge? And do you suggest to do it to all of them? How can I gain access to them?

thanks

tsuneo
Rare Poster
Gear: Duotone Rebel
Has thanked: 0

Postby tsuneo » Sun May 31, 2020 1:18 am

For the drains at the tip to function well they need to open. This requires the velcro to be light or thin enough to open. A small permanent opening will help drain if the velcro won't open like when the flow is small, and it will also help the velcro open.

If you don't have an permanent opening in the tip you can make one, by say damaging or removing the velcro for the bottom section say 1 inch.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun May 31, 2020 11:49 am

mcfly777 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:13 pm
So I understand the part about punching holes, you mean to add these small holes to the pieces that divide the cells front to back, right at the trailing edge?
Yes, as close to the trailing edge and to reach a total drainage diameter of in total round about the diameter of two fingers, but respecting to never punch/cut a sewing or coming closer than 5 mm to one.
mcfly777 wrote:
And do you suggest to do it to all of them?
Not neccessarily all, most important is about the last third of wingspan side, so the outer about 10 rips/profile ends. In most kite constructions the Z-bridle attatchments are more distanced to the trailing edge in the middle of the kite so normaly here is alread enough space for a drainage, hopefully has been used by the designer to build a two fingers wide drainage into it.
mcfly777 wrote:
How can I gain access to them?
Via any big opening in your kite which in your case should be just the huge zipper on the back. You have to search blind your hands way by the big cross ports in the kite/profile center to the place/cell you need (without damaging the cross ports) and then grap the piece and pull it back out.

mcfly777
Medium Poster

Postby mcfly777 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:27 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:49 am
mcfly777 wrote:
So I understand the part about punching holes, you mean to add these small holes to the pieces that divide the cells front to back, right at the trailing edge?
Yes, as close to the trailing edge and to reach a total drainage diameter of in total round about the diameter of two fingers, but respecting to never punch/cut a sewing or coming closer than 5 mm to one.
mcfly777 wrote:
And do you suggest to do it to all of them?
Not neccessarily all, most important is about the last third of wingspan side, so the outer about 10 rips/profile ends. In most kite constructions the Z-bridle attatchments are more distanced to the trailing edge in the middle of the kite so normaly here is alread enough space for a drainage, hopefully has been used by the designer to build a two fingers wide drainage into it.
mcfly777 wrote:
How can I gain access to them?
Via any big opening in your kite which in your case should be just the huge zipper on the back. You have to search blind your hands way by the big cross ports in the kite/profile center to the place/cell you need (without damaging the cross ports) and then grap the piece and pull it back out.

Thanks so much Sergio this is super helpful. I will do this next week. Thinking of finding a shallow place to test it.

Return to “Foil Kites”