Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer is going to beat fishnets? (Release of VMG2)

For all foil kite riders
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Flysurfer is going to beat fishnets? (Release of VMG2)

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:14 pm

joriws wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:07 am
why team rider tagged VMG?
Because "Velocity Made Good" has been a concept in sailing for far longer than Flysurfer has been around and if you just search that hashtag on insta you'll get tons of non-kiteboarding content.

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:35 am

So has anyone else seen VMG2 at their local spots? Or even seen some footage. I have lined up next to VMG2 at my local spot and it seemed fast but it also looked unstable whilst gybing and water-starting. Overall it didn't seem to fly well, but maybe it needs better conditions or different technique to work well. Has anyone else seen this? There were also reports from EU champs that Theo had problems with his VMG2 at Puck, I heard he made a comment somewhere online that his VMG2's have high hours already and that could be part of the problem... This will be interesting to see how it plays out but it looks like maybe VMG2 isn't stable in some conditions and with some riders?

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:38 am

I should also note that I saw a VMG2 13m flying for the first time in overpowered conditions (15-20kn i think) and it looked really good. The person flying it noted after that the huge published wind range seems to be true so maybe the top end is good and stable and bottom end is not. The second time I saw the 15m flying and it looked unstable, wind was middle of its range but was gusty and shifty. Interestingly ozone noted in their R1v4 product brief that they had a 2 liner proto and it was great but also had some problems that caused them to abandon the proto after many attempts to make a 2 liner work.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joriws » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:35 pm

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:32 am

So, is it? Referring to the title of the thread, there must has been a few races run with the VMG2 against the R1V4. Are we seeing any definite advantage of the two row mixer model?

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:33 am

I wonder if this is going to be a good choice for Boosting? I like my Sonic 2's 13m but I Think it's dying on me
Yes, it is great for boosting, but I would consider buying a 13m Sonic3 instead. The VMG2 has thin racing lines on the bridles, so it is likely the life of the bridle will be less than a Sonic3.

Outside of racing, I think the fiberglass battens make a lot of sense in the largest sizes (18, 21, 23). They give the kite shape so that pre-inflation is not necessary. If there is enough wind to fly, you can fly a VMG2. So, I think this kite will make sense for snowkiting on very light wind days.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:55 am

derek440 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:38 am
The second time I saw the 15m flying and it looked unstable.
What instability are referring at?

They are really hard to front stall. Minor downsides are the wingtips can fold in during an ugly gybe or tight emergency loops, no problems with normal gybes. Other thing is that you need to get used to the lack of backstall and backwards flying capability. It just wants to stay flying forward, so no quick grabbing of the back lines to stop it flying as you are used to with ab(c)z bridled kites.

Positives are the huge windrange, also bottom end, and the agility in steering and light feeling on all points of sail. It just wants to keep accelerating! Never felt (over) powered, even in the high end you can just sheet out a bit more and edge to kill the speed.
Inflation is also the fastest out of every foil kite I ever tested.

Kitehard
Rare Poster

Postby Kitehard » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:40 pm

Hi peeps,

I’ve been flying my new VMG2 18 and 13 is some very average conditions here in Perth over the last few weeks and I can say I love the performance. Stability has not been an issue whatsoever.
I’ve flown the 13m in 15 gusting to around 24 knots and never once was pulled off my line. You just go faster upwind. The depower is amazing, no front stall even in those terrible conditions.

I flew the 18m in 8-~18 knots this weekend when a rain equal came through. Just edged hard and sheeted out, no problem, no instability. I did note seeing some of the really big kites at the Euro champs pitch rocking a little but it didn’t seem to slow them down, could be a rider thing?

I’m stoked enough to order the 10m to complete the quiver for this season. Love the downwind depth and speed as well as upwind. I love that the two I have fly and respond beautifully on the same length bar.
Best looking kite on the water. Ok, frothing ends here 🤩
DM
These users thanked the author Kitehard for the post (total 2):
airsail (Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:56 pm) • davesails7 (Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:38 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Kitehard wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:40 pm
I’ve been flying my new VMG2 18 and 13 is some very average conditions here in Perth over the last few weeks and I can say I love the performance.
Thanks for the review!

Can you self land the kite by backstalling? The VMG2 manual says you can't, because it can damage the kite. I asked flysurfer directly, and they confirmed you can't do it. However, a rider who has one said he did it without issue.

I often need to self land, so would be a non-starter for me if you can't self land the kite.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:21 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks for the review!

Can you self land the kite by backstalling? The VMG2 manual says you can't, because it can damage the kite. I asked flysurfer directly, and they confirmed you can't do it. However, a rider who has one said he did it without issue.

I often need to self land, so would be a non-starter for me if you can't self land the kite.
If you really need to it is no different to any other foilkite if you are very carefully. But you are landing the kite on the end of the glassfiber rods that run cordwise so I doubt they can give you any warranty on damage due to regular TE landings so always prefer to do an assisted landing!
Kitehard wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:40 pm
I love that the two I have fly and respond beautifully on the same length bar.
Indeed great to just stack a bunch of 55cm bars with 12m lines for all kites, no more doubt about what bar to choose. The 23 and 9m fly great on the same bar!
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
davesails7 (Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:29 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”