Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer is going to beat fishnets? (Release of VMG2)

For all foil kite riders
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: Flysurfer is going to beat fishnets? (Release of VMG2)

Postby Bille » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:42 am

I'm Excited, for where this wing, could take kite technology , in
the next few years ; got a feeling that they might look a bit different
soon !!! :thumb:

Bille

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Schietwedder » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:02 pm

I don't understand how much discussion there is about the battens.
I'm quite sure the Benni and the flysurfer guys are quite happy with the glassfiber battens and there isn't much to be improved for now especially on the material side, its way more important how to use them.
They are economical and for their good mechanical properties light enough.

I used the same or similar gf rods in my diy kites as it was the only thing i could find which would have more spring capability and tension than the grass cutter nylon and which would bend enough for the nose radius. Even now when using the thinnest batten available to me (0.8mm) I can't bend them around the 10 tip cells for a 12m freeride size.

I'm quite sure that the race kites have thinner and shorter profiles (high AR) which ask for even more flexibility than 0.8mm maybe 0.4mm in the tips or use a different material (nylon) in the LE.

If you wanted to use carbon or a combination of composite materials you would need rods of 0.2mm or thinner for the same flex whicj is quite pointless from an economic point not even considering if they are made in that sizes and how easy (UD) they break.

Also I'm not sure wether they use the battens for maintaining the profile shape.
With sufficent internal pressure that should be the job of the ribs which they are quite good at usually.

I would think the battens are more for distributing loads of thebridle points (point loads) onto the ribs and internal structure. Therefore you might want a soft transition so not a super hard batten.

The way they are s- shaped could induce some reflex or other deformation of the canopy when depowered which wouldn't be possible with a 2 point mixer.

My guess, it's a totally new technique in kites at least...so the only ones that know is the designers and maybe some riders who have ridden it and understand what the differences are compared to 3 row and 4 row designs.
There has been a lot more development and research in PG design where I think some of these new ideas come from (Skywalk)

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear

Postby Schietwedder » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:16 pm

And I'm really amazed how the flysurfer design team evolves.
I would be slightly worried if my name was rob whitall to keep up.

A lot of new or never practically used ideas which seem to work out really well. Also the 13m VMG with AR of 13 they released as a proto last year.... Hats of to even make such a thing fly...
They have got a lot of things right and understood which is harder then you think in kite design.
These users thanked the author Schietwedder for the post:
Kitehard (Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:29 pm

Schietwedder wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:02 pm
I don't understand how much discussion there is about the battens.
I'm quite sure the Benni and the flysurfer guys are quite happy with the glassfiber battens and there isn't much to be improved for now especially on the material side, its way more important how to use them.
They are economical and for their good mechanical properties light enough.

I used the same or similar gf rods in my diy kites as it was the only thing i could find which would have more spring capability and tension than the grass cutter nylon and which would bend enough for the nose radius. Even now when using the thinnest batten available to me (0.8mm) I can't bend them around the 10 tip cells for a 12m freeride size.

I'm quite sure that the race kites have thinner and shorter profiles (high AR) which ask for even more flexibility than 0.8mm maybe 0.4mm in the tips or use a different material (nylon) in the LE.

If you wanted to use carbon or a combination of composite materials you would need rods of 0.2mm or thinner for the same flex whicj is quite pointless from an economic point not even considering if they are made in that sizes and how easy (UD) they break.

Also I'm not sure wether they use the battens for maintaining the profile shape.
With sufficent internal pressure that should be the job of the ribs which they are quite good at usually.

I would think the battens are more for distributing loads of thebridle points (point loads) onto the ribs and internal structure. Therefore you might want a soft transition so not a super hard batten.

The way they are s- shaped could induce some reflex or other deformation of the canopy when depowered which wouldn't be possible with a 2 point mixer.

My guess, it's a totally new technique in kites at least...so the only ones that know is the designers and maybe some riders who have ridden it and understand what the differences are compared to 3 row and 4 row designs.
There has been a lot more development and research in PG design where I think some of these new ideas come from (Skywalk)
I dont think the GF battens function is to stiffen the leading edge, there I tjink they ll still use the nylon reinforcement. The battens shoul be used for stiffening the top of the canopy.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:15 am

I wonder if this is going to be a good choice for Boosting? I like my Sonic 2's 13m but I Think it's dying on me

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:27 am

Schietwedder wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:16 pm
And I'm really amazed how the flysurfer design team evolves.
I would be slightly worried if my name was rob whitall to keep up.

A lot of new or never practically used ideas which seem to work out really well. Also the 13m VMG with AR of 13 they released as a proto last year.... Hats of to even make such a thing fly...
They have got a lot of things right and understood which is harder then you think in kite design.
I fly a Skywalk Chili Paraglider . Skywalk and Flysurfer, were founded by the
same team of Adrenaline Junkies ; the teams genetic pool of knowledge , and ingenuity
and creativity, is unmatched by most humans on the planet ;
BUT
i would Not, count out Rob Whitall, from Ozone ; world champ at both PG and HG, and
his company made some Awesome stuff , in the last few years !!!

This new kite from the Flyysurfer ; it's gonna get , everyone else , "Thinking"
and that's a Good Thing !!! :thumb:

Bille
These users thanked the author Bille for the post:
Kitehard (Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:29 pm

Bille wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:27 am
This new kite from the Flyysurfer ; it's gonna get , everyone else , "Thinking"
and that's a Good Thing !!! :thumb:
The interesting part is these kites are locked in now for 4 years. If the Flysurfer is the fastest, they'll have a monopoly for 4 years! (at least for IKA events and Olympics)

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:07 am

Hashtag only says VMG but is this VMG2? Nevertheless awesome jump captured on video.

*edit* Coloring and 3 stripes is Sonic3 11m (or 9m). On my first check was checking on small mobile screen and did not pay attention to kite details, why team rider tagged VMG?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:45 am

Yep thats a Sonic3 11m. Most likely tagged VMG for the likes and maybe because the S3 is based off the VMG.

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:35 am

joriws wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:07 am
Hashtag only says VMG but is this VMG2? Nevertheless awesome jump captured on video.

*edit* Coloring and 3 stripes is Sonic3 11m (or 9m). On my first check was checking on small mobile screen and did not pay attention to kite details, why team rider tagged VMG?

My guess is if you have so many # you just copy and paste.

Return to “Foil Kites”