Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4 flag out?

For all foil kite riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Flysurfer Peak 4 flag out?

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:02 pm

Can you flag the Peak 4 on a front line or a rear line?

Nice to know if wind gets crazy, if possible :roll:

8) Peter

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4 flag out?

Postby tomtom » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:08 pm

front line without any problem in 30 knts. Why it should not? :)
Its most flagish kite ever so easy to flag

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:08 pm

Assuming it's not an emergency, where in the window would you put the kite before flagging it so as to minimize twists and tangles?

I'm still not 100% sure about my landings, when there is a bush or an other tube kite parked on the beach, I can crash land it in its wind shadow, but on flat and exposed beach, and decent wind, I can sometimes have bits of kite catching wind again and tumbling downwind, with a few twists. I've had a few times where I put my board on the beach, and crash-dropped the kite at edge of window just in front of the board so that it gets caught in it safely once it tumbles back.
I was super confident with solo landings on my tube kites, but the Peaks feel like a bit of creative landing at times. (even if it always works out all good in the end).

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:03 am

Don’t know the answer to Peter’s question, but putting your foil board down on its side with the foil downwind of the board makes a good tumble stop. You can generally put the kite down and walk forward to slack line with the kite on the ground just upwind of the board and if it slides it crumples on your board. Not a 40 knot maneuver, but fine in 20+. Definitely the most flagish kite out there!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:55 am

Also on a rear line?

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:44 am

I bought a used 5 with the connect bar, the 5th line (b-safe) was already attached. It's an easy way to kill all power but I'd rather get rid of it.
If I crash it in the water and it wraps around itself it would be impossible to relaunch, and as we can see here there are other ways to land the kite.

But: removing the 5th leaves me without a flag out on the connect bar. How have others dealt with that?

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:59 am

Here a vid of Peak4 3qm by a flysufer dealer in quite strong wind. First on SFL o-tone : "nicht...geil", better to run him into the ground.
The bar isn`t really out running on the 10m sfl
These users thanked the author Breze for the post:
flying doctor (Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:20 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:51 am

flying doctor wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:44 am
I bought a used 5 with the connect bar, the 5th line (b-safe) was already attached. It's an easy way to kill all power but I'd rather get rid of it.
If I crash it in the water and it wraps around itself it would be impossible to relaunch, and as we can see here there are other ways to land the kite.

But: removing the 5th leaves me without a flag out on the connect bar. How have others dealt with that?

But for foiling you dont need the flag out, right?

I think that is how we have all dealt with that.

Backing the kite down is my most used method (and put your board edge on the bar, then the kite is powered up and stays down on the ground), but can be tricky in some conditions, so to the side, backing it down out there, and hoping it wont tumble, is the second method.

Apart from landing in wind shelter, but often not possible (I like the idea about using your board as shelter though, but I dont like having tiny lines and canopy wrapped around my sharp foil...)

Crashing it frontside down would work also, but I wont use such a hard method, feels wrong and can damage the kite a lot...
One advantage is though, that you can just put your CL around something to hold the kite LE down, or a stick or whatever you got nearby.

I saw above video long time ago, but it did not say anything about rear line flag out, only that front line flag out works, but not very graceful...

Seems I have to go out and test myself, just pull one rear line in by hand and see what happens :D

Would be nice to know you can always use that method, as it would work with any bar and setup :rollgrin:

Nobody who has tried rear line???

8) Peter

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:20 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:51 am
flying doctor wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:44 am

But for foiling you dont need the flag out, right?

I think that is how we have all dealt with that.

Backing the kite down is my most used method (and put your board edge on the bar, then the kite is powered up and stays down on the ground), but can be tricky in some conditions, so to the side, backing it down out there, and hoping it wont tumble, is the second method.

Apart from landing in wind shelter, but often not possible (I like the idea about using your board as shelter though, but I dont like having tiny lines and canopy wrapped around my sharp foil...)

Crashing it frontside down would work also, but I wont use such a hard method, feels wrong and can damage the kite a lot...
One advantage is though, that you can just put your CL around something to hold the kite LE down, or a stick or whatever you got nearby.

I saw above video long time ago, but it did not say anything about rear line flag out, only that front line flag out works, but not very graceful...

Seems I have to go out and test myself, just pull one rear line in by hand and see what happens :D

Would be nice to know you can always use that method, as it would work with any bar and setup :rollgrin:

Nobody who has tried rear line???

8) Peter
Yeah, maybe it's because I'm relatively new to foiling. But the peaks can be used and are fun in relatively high winds so being able to flag out seems safer to me in case of an emergency.
Or is there another reason for you not to need a flagout while on foil?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:32 am

I’m sure you could flag out using a rear line but with the leading edge the way it is I assume there would be more flapping.

You can also just wind in the front lines, hand over hand and grab the bridle. Armin showed this and I’ve done it a couple times. It works pretty well and cool party trick.

Also unlike normal foil kites, these single skins sit pretty good on the edge of the wind window attached to a fixed point like an inflatable. Doesn’t bounce around as much and is easily manageable.

Return to “Foil Kites”