Kiting since: 2020
Local Beach: Mayflower beach
Gear: Foil kite
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Foil Kite Newcomer

Postby marissas28 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

I’m very new to kiting but decided to learn to just fly the kite before taking lessons and getting in the water. I have a 4.5 m closed cell foil kite. I weigh about 60 kg and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for my safest wind conditions.

Also if anyone has recommendations for board size (63 inches tall) I’m not getting a board just yet but want to start looking to find the right price for when that day comes.

Thanks in advance!

Rein de Vries
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rockanje - The Netherlands
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic, Ozone R1, Ocean Rodeo, Manta kite foil.

Re: Foil Kite Newcomer

Postby Rein de Vries » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:10 pm

As a beginner I recommend starting with a 9-11 m2 in about 13-18 knots. Such a rather small kite requires quite some wind to get going at least on a TT, which could be dangerous. Id start in the ligther wind with an assistent to help launching.
These users thanked the author Rein de Vries for the post:
marissas28 (Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:58 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Breze
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bavarian Lakes
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ram Air & Tubes, TT & Foil

Postby Breze » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:41 pm

What kite is it?

slide
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes
Style: landboarding with a work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon decks/and now 6/8/10/12 soul, 15 spd5

Postby slide » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:41 pm

learn about wind window and have a slide about and a lean back on a beach ,but first , first get yourself a small open foil 4 line,about 2 metres on handles , something like a second hand flexifoil sting and have a slide about considering the wind window -don't launch downwind ,hold the kite on the brakes on the beach ,keeping the kite still using the brakes and walk round 2 or 3 steps ,remembering each step will take power out of the launch , and bring the kite up the side of the window where the least power will be ,and always launch like this for now with your flexifoil sting -you can learn a lot yourself , always think wind window, where is the power and where to put the kite when I fly fixed bridle or depower I always use a long stake for the beach and a shorter stake for grass fields -to land ,get kite to 12 0'clock pull the brakes on downwind and attach brakes to stake -depending on your experience , but if you are a newbie , i'd learn like how I describe , and then maybe get a lesson when you harness up and go to depower

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:05 pm

marissas28 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:14 pm
Hi Everyone,

I’m very new to kiting but decided to learn to just fly the kite before taking lessons and getting in the water. I have a 4.5 m closed cell foil kite. I weigh about 60 kg and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for my safest wind conditions.

Also if anyone has recommendations for board size (63 inches tall) I’m not getting a board just yet but want to start looking to find the right price for when that day comes.

Thanks in advance!
I would say 10-15 kts. Just take it slow with the kite. Being a closed cell kite understand that a trainer would be better as you will probably damage it learning to fly it. It will all so be able to drag you if it goes thru the wind window so practice using caution and your quick release.

As for the board you base that off your weight and normal wind conditions. I would say 135 unless it's either really light most of the time or really blowing all the time. Height only matters for setting up your stance.
These users thanked the author TheJoe for the post:
marissas28 (Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:48 am)
Rating: 8.33%

marissas28
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Local Beach: Mayflower beach
Gear: Foil kite
Been thanked: 0

Postby marissas28 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:32 am

Thanks! I went with a middle of the road kite because I was trying to be careful with price. I have a bar and 10m lines with a harness so I’m not as worried about being dragged around. I also was hoping to be able to keep this kite for a while so I didn’t bother with a trainer kite. It was a little difficult to find a kite that wasn’t too big and difficult to control while still being big enough to not be forced to fly in too strong of winds.

I’ve tried to fly twice so far but both days were under 5 kts which got me nowhere but will hopefully find a good day soon. Also a large part of it is getting my lines adjusting right.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:14 am

Thanks! I went with a middle of the road kite because I was trying to be careful with price. I have a bar and 10m lines with a harness so I’m not as worried about being dragged around. I also was hoping to be able to keep this kite for a while so I didn’t bother with a trainer kite. It was a little difficult to find a kite that wasn’t too big and difficult to control while still being big enough to not be forced to fly in too strong of winds.

I’ve tried to fly twice so far but both days were under 5 kts which got me nowhere but will hopefully find a good day soon. Also a large part of it is getting my lines adjusting right.

Sorry to tell you this, but a 4.5m foil kite is not a size most riders use much, at least for water. You would have been wise to buy a trainer kite. In fact, that is EXACTLY what you should do now. A 4.5m foil closed cell kite will require a fair amount of wind to fly and in that kind of wind, you run a good chance of getting injured. You may not like my advice, but it may save you a trip to the ER. After you become proficient on the trainer take some lessons. Then buy yourself a suitable kite. Might as sell the 4.5 now unless you live in a high wind area or weigh less than 50 kilos.

Return to “Foil Kites”