For all foil kite riders
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

flysurfer soul 15m ?

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:12 pm

How come you don't hear much about the 15m Soul as a light wind kite for twin tip riders and light wind freestyle (10 to 16mph) ?

Has it been overshadowed by the release of the Sonic 3 15m ? Looks like it would make a great summer kite for the lighter day UK winds.

Kiterpep
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Scheveningen, Rockanje
Style: Wave
Gear: Naish, F-One, Flysurfer, Crazyfly

Re: flysurfer soul 15m ?

Postby Kiterpep » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:48 pm

I love my Soul 15m. Already had quite a few awesome twintip sessions on it. First one on the water and when other people are mowing the lawn I can start doing some nice jumps and I can practice some surface tricks. It's my first foil kite so I didn't even consider a Sonic, and I'm quite happy because even with the Soul the handling needs a few sessions to get used to.

esme
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby esme » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:49 am

I think people are finding other options

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:16 am

esme wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:49 am
I think people are finding other options
One or two people doesn’t make a trend. More value durability, simplicity, and performance over price. Never understood people’s need to justify cheapness :roll:

As to the Soul vs Sonic question. Had the Soul 15m. It is a good light wind kite but really the new Sonic3 blows it away in performance and especially light wind. The Soul is easier but as I’ve said before, you’ll get more out of the bottom end with a higher aspect foil kite. Also there’s a big jump in technology on water drainage and just overall design(bridle, relaunch, etc)

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:04 am

There are two guys in my home spot who own a Soul 15 and they're both very happy with it, to be honest more than with the 12. I don't know why but everyone who buyed a set of Souls told me that 8, 10 and 15 are amazing, the 12 is maybe the "worst" size. No particular problems but the overall flying experience is not good as with the 15 or the smaller sizes.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:17 pm

I'm guessing the Sonic 3 beats the Soul for pure height and hangtime ? There were some posts on Kiteforum a while back where a few riders were getting around 16 to 17m on a 15m Soul, if true that's impressive heights.

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:19 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:12 pm
How come you don't hear much about the 15m Soul as a light wind kite for twin tip riders and light wind freestyle (10 to 16mph) ?

Has it been overshadowed by the release of the Sonic 3 15m ? Looks like it would make a great summer kite for the lighter day UK winds.
Well, a Soul 21 would be even better as a light wind kite for TT. From 7 knots up to 16 knots. I know the new Sonic 3 has a better performance, but I am not considering replacing my Soul 21 with a Sonic 3, because stability and easy handling are more important on our notoriously gusty, difficult spots with turbulences, wind shifting direction ...

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:05 pm

pmaggie wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:04 am
There are two guys in my home spot who own a Soul 15 and they're both very happy with it, to be honest more than with the 12. I don't know why but everyone who buyed a set of Souls told me that 8, 10 and 15 are amazing, the 12 is maybe the "worst" size. No particular problems but the overall flying experience is not good as with the 15 or the smaller sizes.
The 12 is a great size with great performance imo. I have the 6, 10 and 12, also an 8 and a 15 would be highly welcome. :wink:
My son is doing really nice things with it from 11/12 knots on a TT (65 kg) and in 15 kts it gives him nice airs and airtime. On the HF I can use the 12 from 6kts.
We fly it on shorter lines, which gives it nice steering response and I've extended the tip LCL's with 4cm for softer steering / feedback. (Mod tip from A.H.)
It all depends on weight I guess, I'm sure the 15m is also a great size but please only write real own experiences an not hear say stories.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:30 pm

I think the Soul 18m is a better light wind kite than the 15m if you weigh over 70 KG. It doesn't feel so big like the 21, still feels nimble and will boost you to the moon.

Yes, the Sonic 3 does have more performance (hang-time, height, and range), but it is not as stable as the Soul. It is a kite that is preferable to skilled foil kite flyers, but not for everyone and especially if you have turbulent winds. There are some places that I will not even think of flying my Sonic!

BigSky
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Duxbury
Gear: Flysurfer, BRM and Lift

Postby BigSky » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:54 pm

I mostly foil with Peak4's but I have the Soul 15 and just used it this past weekend. I'm 77kg's. It's a beast. Wind was anywhere from 11 to 14kts. I was using a small board so I did struggle in the lower wind range but it still worked. I was delighted to get some pretty decent jumps in too. I don't like foiling with it. Too much grunt and doesn't match the peak4's for downwind performance. Cheers.

Return to “Foil Kites”