kiter4fun123
Medium Poster
Style: TT and hydrofoil in light wind
Gear: flysurfer, naish, nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 9m Soul Opinions

Postby kiter4fun123 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:50 am

Don't have the 9m but the 8m. In general the souls deliver a lot of power.
I can go upwind from 12 kn on a large tt (means radical 140 x 42 cm for me at 67kg, around 18-20C air temp, warmer air = less power in the wind) but I get overpower already at 26-28 kn.
Comparing this to my old speed 5 9m it started at 14 kn and overpowered at 30-32 kn.
I guess the soul 7 would have this range for me.

That's how much kite ar matters, souls got ar = 5 for the smaller ones which is quite low for flysurfer. (I think speed 5 has an ar around 6)
My wishlist for the soul2 would be if they (flysurfer) could raise the AR on all sizes maintaining stability and power. Might be an impossible equation
but who knows?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:49 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 pm
You should consider the ozone hyperlink v2 9m. It's less " racy " than soul.
Why would you want something with inferior relaunch capabilities, less airtight build, and sucks at dumping internal water?

If the Soul is making too much power for you or is too “racy” that’s what the depower is for :roll: :roll:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:23 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:49 pm
TomW wrote:
Why would you want something with inferior relaunch capabilities, less airtight build, and sucks at dumping internal water?

If the Soul is making too much power for you or is too “racy” that’s what the depower is for :roll: :roll:

Just saying that for allround use, hyperlink is an alternative. You don't have to get all riled up AL. Its lower AR, has faster turning and is different type of foil from Soul. Soul is like easy race kite. Hyperlink is not anyway near being a race kite. HL V2 is very tight in water and relaunch is easy.
Granted Soul is racier and will probably be better for boosting, but for general hydrofoil HL probably better, and on surfboard it might be acceptable. I cant imagine why someone would want to use a soul on a surfboard.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:15 pm

TomW wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:23 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
TomW wrote:

Just saying that for allround use, hyperlink is an alternative. You don't have to get all riled up AL. Its lower AR, has faster turning and is different type of foil from Soul. Soul is like easy race kite. Hyperlink is not anyway near being a race kite. HL V2 is very tight in water and relaunch is easy.
Granted Soul is racier and will probably be better for boosting, but for general hydrofoil HL probably better, and on surfboard it might be acceptable. I cant imagine why someone would want to use a soul on a surfboard.
I guess my issue is you usually like to drop into these posts slinging Ozone when the brand isn’t even brought up. Almost to foilholio levels lol

If you think the Soul is a race kite, then you have absolutely no idea. It’s been well proven now that Ozone isn’t at the top of the game(never really was either). I guess being a dealer makes it more difficult for you to swallow.

The V2 is basically the V1 in better cloth(in the larher sizes) and maybe a couple corrections that should have been done in the first place. Can you even tell me the differences? The Soul has a different AR per size. They tune each size. Does Ozone do this?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:54 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
TomW wrote:

Soul is much better boosting and riding upwind. It works in surf but down-loops are almost always powerful pulling off the wave. It compares more to a Chrono and still turns a bit faster.

HL is much better keeping control while riding downwind. With enough sheeting you can get a stalled out pinwheel down-loop. Boost is OK but not as exciting as Soul.

On hydrofoil is easier to jibe with HL, easier to switch feet with Soul and easier to ride out of a 360 with a tube kite.

Ozone bridles are much more robust and supple and less likely to tangle and shrink. Flysurfer bridles are thinner and lighter but more likely to get tangled in a wad. Also if you ride a Soul and somebody mentions HL your panties also more likely to tangle up. Some say too many mixer tests drove Foilholio mad. Maybe you can still hear his ghost rambling on about z-mods and other such nonsense.

Both could be a 1 kite quiver in 8-10 meter sizes if you are going from hydrofoil to surf to TT.

I would choose HL I was more interested in the surf and Soul for the twin tip and surfboard strapless freestyle.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:52 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:54 pm
HL is much better keeping control while riding downwind. With enough sheeting you can get a stalled out pinwheel down-loop. Boost is OK but not as exciting as Soul.
I spiral(your stalled out pinwheel) my Soul 6m ALL the time without issue. The reason why it’s more difficult is FS tuned the Soul for basically no backstall. Easy to overcome though if you know how.

I get just pissed when obvious dealers try to peddler their inferior gear in non related threads and TomW does it frequently.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:13 am

TomW is not a dealer.....he is giving his honest opinion ( that is the purpose of a forum ? ) he is not trying to "peddle" anything.His comments about many brands ,not just Ozone but Moses ,Gong,Kitech are,in my opinion very fair and balanced .
These users thanked the author mar menor for the post (total 2):
TomW (Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:30 pm) • Ulrik (Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:18 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:50 am

i'm landboarding but i agree that the right 10metre can do most of it , i have one flysurfer that i have flown more than any other and that is my speed2 10metre delux
a black and gold beauty, that is so quick i can use it in low winds up to pretty high too, and there comes a point where bigger is slower and smaller is faster and you can create apparent wind by throwing the kite around as fast as it will go

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:08 pm

I would listen and believe Tom W reviews and opinions over Mr Adventure any day ...
These users thanked the author Brian H for the post:
TomW (Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil

Postby RomeUtah » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:20 pm

Ladies your are all pretty, AL are you an ambassador for FS? (only say that cause i see how outspoken you are for them) I have flown the 13m HL side by side with my 15m soul. The HL is honest hot garbage when it touches down on the water, to say it relaunches well is a very dishonest narrative. My 15m soul flew better and about the same speed as the 13m hl. I also laid it out on the water in 6 knots and with the next puff the bad boy came right up after floating for a couple of minutes. HL and the soul both boosted well, both were fun, but Soul had a better elevator effect than the HL but both were fun. When my buddy dunked his HL that thing was a borderline anchor (vents were closed). My original question was the following: what is the low end and high end in people's experience on the 9m soul. I am about 175lbs, on snow I ride my 15m in the mid 20s, on water i have taken it to high teens gusting to low 20s on a TT, that session was humbling. So back to original message what is your personal experince and is there a case for a 8m or 10m over 9m soul to consolidate the kites?

Return to “Foil Kites”