For all foil kite riders
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's
Brand Affiliation: None

Flysurfer Speed 5 - 15m

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:27 pm

I had my heart set on a 15m Soul but have been offered a brand new Flysurfer Speed 5 - 15m at a very good price (circa £1,050 ish). I'm after a lower wind kite to cover me ONLY on my twin tip (Shinn Monk 134cm) @ 85kg. Ideally I want a kite for low wind (10mph to 18mph) freestyle, unhooking and some board off's. The Speed 5 seems to fit this bill nicely, being a bit fatter than the sonic etc and better behaved (according to online reviews).

Any feedback appreciated, first Flysurfer in long time... (I have the Psycho 1 - 12.5... dam that was a handfull). Worth the money or wait and find a second hand Soul ?

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Re: Flysurfer Speed 5 - 15m

Postby pmaggie » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:55 pm

Speeds are great kites, I like them more than the Souls. Personal taste, but they have that "real" foil feeling that I can't feel with the Soul. I tested a Soul very few times, so I can't speak with a real experience. Anyway with the Speed 15 in low winds you can't go wrong, great kite imo.

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:17 pm

The Speed 5 is a higher aspect kite than the Soul which I like for light wind riding upwind ability. It is less stable than the Soul, but not that much IMO. Relaunch is more "technical" and the Soul relaunches easier, like a lei. It took me awhile to get used to the turnjng speed of my 21m, but the 15m should turn faster. The only thing I don't like about the Speed 5 is there is only one deflate port, so it takes some effort and time to pack up.

I'm 92 kg and I can stay upwind on my TT (135 x 46) with my 21m Speed 5 in 10 knots. The jumps are super floaty and high. I have riden my strapless surfboard with it a couple of times, but I prefer my 12m Soul for surfboard riding.

slide
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes
Style: landboarding with a work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon decks/and now 6/8/10/12 soul, 15 spd5

Postby slide » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:10 am

and its the best looking flysurfer in its orange colours , i'm plzd to hear your feedback , as i brought mine for low winds , and 6,8,10,12 souls for general flying after coming back from an illness , i haven't has chance to fly the speed5 15 yet but i've flown the souls ,before lockdown came in -i landboard and hoping to catch some early morning onshores before the people farm arrive -theres 2 types the sea siders who setup near the entrance ,and the dogwalkers who come down the bottom end where i am supposed to fly because of the club rules agreed with the council for buggies and landboarders ,30 named members and all the dogs are off their leads running everwhere , everybody walking infront of me downwind of me , and they are annoyed i'm in the way ,so if the beach is small i take my old flysurfers and a couple of blades , i had my new souls laying out on the beach setting up and dogs running around crazy , so i thought i 'll only bring them when its a big beach

i still have my speed 2 silver arrow 15 but that material scares me , but i am really looking forward to the spd5 15 experiance whenever that happens - i have brain cancer and i'm type 1 diabetic so i need to keep away from people as much as i can
and speaking of old flysurfers i have a speed1 7 metre proto , a proper race machine that kite , i didn't jump much with that one

would flysurfer still repair my silver arrow , as it needs a new panel , they did a new panel before for me ,the early light material is not that durable but i would like it back to its original state , i was going to tape it but , its like a rare old merc and needs restoration

i

Return to “Foil Kites”