Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone Hyperlink v1 9m vs. Airush Ultra v2 10m vs. Repair an F-One Diablo

For all foil kite riders
sshantt
Rare Poster
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:21 pm
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Taaroa Sword 1 Foil
Mike's Lab foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 0

Ozone Hyperlink v1 9m vs. Airush Ultra v2 10m vs. Repair an F-One Diablo

Postby sshantt » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:38 pm

I've been kiting for 3 years now and am very comfortable on my twintip. I recently decided to jump to foiling so I bought a Taaroa Sword 1 and Mike's Lab board. I know they're not the easiest to learn on but I was guided more by price and was able to get a really good deal.

I used a 2011 9m LEI that I got for cheap to start learning. On my 2nd session it got badly tangled in the water forcing it to be fully powered in the water and stuck in the power zone. This caused to blow up.

I decided to try a foil kite as a replacement. I got an F-One Diablo v1 10m since it was so cheap on the used market, fully knowing that it wasn't going to be the friendliest freeride foiling kite out there. I practiced on shore for a while but I could immediately tell the kite was completely different than a LEI. Pulling in the bar wouldn't give instant power like a LEI but rather just make it weakly fall into the power zone and stay there. While it was in the power zone, the angle of attack was such that I didn't feel much power. The second I sheeted out though, I would feel immense power and the kite would fly back to 12 o'clock immediately. I found this weird but I didn't question it too much. I assumed that for the kite to act more like a LEI it would need apparent wind. It would generally tug upwards on my waist harness and I was too cheap to switch to a seat harness, hence I just lived with it. So I took to the water after my beach test and started learning on my foil. In 12-14 knots wind the kite was nice to fly. Once apparent wind kicked in I would feel the power and get on the foil for 5-10 seconds at a time. Although power control didn't seem as easy as a LEI; sheeting almost felt reversed. It could be that I didn't ever ride for longer than 30 seconds at a time so didn't have the time to adapt. In 16+ knots I would feel too overpowered though no matter what I did with my depower line; getting on the foil in such winds would immediately make me gain too much speed and panic. I would have to go back to the beach and call it a day. In wind under 12 knots I would struggle to get enough apparent wind once I get on the board. On a side note, the kite was a breeze to keep in the air and water relaunching was way easier than some LEI kites I've used in the past; especially in wind less than 12 knots. Also, not needing to carry a pump made things so much easier since I didn't have to go back and forth from the beach to my car; I carry everything to the beach in one trip.

I launched my kite in my last session (7th hydrofoil learning session) when the wind was 16 knots. While I was at the beach before heading into the water it jumped to ~24 knots (I looked at the wind report afterwards). I immediately looked to land the kite. I committed to the break likes and got it softly on the ground. I called upon a fellow kitesurfer to hold the edge while I walked towards them. Instead of walking towards them, I released the break lines by mistake which caused the kite to fly up. The kitesurfer was at the same time holding the kite from the inside fabric a couple of inches from the edge instead of all the way at the edge. This caused the inside fabric to rip. The rip is a foot long and reaches as well as goes along the leading edge.

Sorry for the novel above but I feel like I need it before I ask my question.

Looking at the used market I'm able to find the below at a medium/decent price:

* Airush Ultra v2 10m
* Ozone Hyperlink v1 9m
* Flysurfer Sonic v2 9m
* Flysurfer Soul 9m (more expensive!)

I have two questions.

Is my experience with the handling and wind range of the F-One Diablo representative of how an F-One Diablo or foil kites in general should behave?

My aim is to freeride on my foil in 10-22 knots of wind. Given my situation, should I repair my F-One Diablo or get one of the above kites? If it's the latter, which one do I get?

Thanks in advance

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3364
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Ozone Hyperlink v1 9m vs. Airush Ultra v2 10m vs. Repair an F-One Diablo

Postby TomW » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:49 pm

This must be a troll.
If not, you have to look at videos on launching and landing a foil kite. Plus learn to fly it. Its totally different than an inflatable.

If you're learning to hydrofoil, stick to inflatable until you can ride the hydrofoil comfortably.

sshantt
Rare Poster
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:21 pm
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Taaroa Sword 1 Foil
Mike's Lab foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone Hyperlink v1 9m vs. Airush Ultra v2 10m vs. Repair an F-One Diablo

Postby sshantt » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:17 pm

The rip in the F-One Diablo is in the third to last section. Only the fabric pertaining to that section is ripped.
Attachments
IMG_20200628_145259.jpg
IMG_20200628_145303.jpg
IMG_20200628_145317.jpg
IMG_20200628_145325.jpg
IMG_20200628_145329.jpg
IMG_20200628_145754.jpg

sshantt
Rare Poster
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:21 pm
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Taaroa Sword 1 Foil
Mike's Lab foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone Hyperlink v1 9m vs. Airush Ultra v2 10m vs. Repair an F-One Diablo

Postby sshantt » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:24 pm

TomW wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:49 pm
This must be a troll.
If not, you have to look at videos on launching and landing a foil kite. Plus learn to fly it. Its totally different than an inflatable.

If you're learning to hydrofoil, stick to inflatable until you can ride the hydrofoil comfortably.
Thanks. Definitely not a troll. I feel like I have a good grip on launching and landing. I've done it ~20 times by now. In this case I had nowhere but directly downwind to land it unfortunately due to terrain. I couldn't bring it down to the side. And for some reason LEI habits kicked in making me release the bar pressure when I saw that someone grabbed it :(

In terms of flying the kite and how it's supposed to feel, for the life of me I couldn't find any resources to help me out there. Nowhere did I find, "this is how the kite will react to you doing xyz". If you know of any videos, books or posts that describe this properly, please share.

User avatar
DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:43 pm
Local Beach: Pelican Point Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Slingshot foil board, Cabrinha Skillit
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Ozone Hyperlink v1 9m vs. Airush Ultra v2 10m vs. Repair an F-One Diablo

Postby DukeSilver » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:45 am

As TomW said above, learn to foil on a kite you feel comfortable with first - IE an LEI. Learn in moderate winds and choose a kite size that gives you easy power to get up onto the board for your weight. You will be able to learn on the foil you have, but it will be a longer and more painful road than if you had chosen a more beginner friendly model like an Axis, Slingshot or similar. These foils are also more durable when learning.
Once you can ride on the foil with some control, I think any of the kites on your list other than maybe the Sonic will be fine for you. I use a 9m Hyperlink and love it from 10kts up to 15-17kts at (81kg). After that I am on a 6m Reo. Will get a 4m Peak4 for winds over 20kts.
These users thanked the author DukeSilver for the post:
sshantt (Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:51 am)
Rating: 8.33%

sshantt
Rare Poster
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:21 pm
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Taaroa Sword 1 Foil
Mike's Lab foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone Hyperlink v1 9m vs. Airush Ultra v2 10m vs. Repair an F-One Diablo

Postby sshantt » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:12 am

DukeSilver wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:45 am
As TomW said above, learn to foil on a kite you feel comfortable with first - IE an LEI. Learn in moderate winds and choose a kite size that gives you easy power to get up onto the board for your weight. You will be able to learn on the foil you have, but it will be a longer and more painful road than if you had chosen a more beginner friendly model like an Axis, Slingshot or similar. These foils are also more durable when learning.
Once you can ride on the foil with some control, I think any of the kites on your list other than maybe the Sonic will be fine for you. I use a 9m Hyperlink and love it from 10kts up to 15-17kts at (81kg). After that I am on a 6m Reo. Will get a 4m Peak4 for winds over 20kts.
Thanks.

I guess I'll postpone repairing the Diablo. I'm at the verge of being able to stay continuously on the foil ATM so it's sad that this happened now.

I have a 12m Naish Pivot that I've put away for a while. Is that something I can carry on learning on and then move to something from the list? If not, what's a good LEI to buy used and learn on?

Also, based on my description of my experience with the Diablo, is that how a foil kite should act?

Breze
Medium Poster
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:53 pm
Local Beach: Bavarian Lakes
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ram Air & Tubes, TT & Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Ozone Hyperlink v1 9m vs. Airush Ultra v2 10m vs. Repair an F-One Diablo

Postby Breze » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 am

Have a look at the vid, the Flysurfer guys are explaining ( Min 37) what happens to an older foilkite. It will get more backstall and has low power.It seems you described the behavior of an older race foil very well. The loss of power of the Diabolo in combination with a small racewing like the Spotz leads to a much more wind hungry set up.The Diabolo is known for its paperlike cloth and no help from Fone with any lineplans.



Your 12m Pivot has quite the same power as the 9m foilkites you mentioned. The Sonic has the most and the HL the lowest power of theses three.
I wouldn`t go with the Sonic2 9m bc it is too trimm sensitive for a foil novice. The HL1 gets too fast too much water inside, the Soul 9m is "the" advanced freeride foil these days.
But why not further learning with your Pivot? For a bit more wind and better relaunch the Ultra 10m is a very nice kite too, one of the best single strut kites.

One question, why on earth did you buy an ancient race foil and an ancient race kite for learning? Is sadomaso your thing? :bye:
These users thanked the author Breze for the post:
sshantt (Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:20 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

User avatar
ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:28 pm
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 9m SouL, 11m PeterLyn Aero, slingshot Dwarf craft
Medium Wind, 12m Screamer, 10m LTD Screamer,8 & 9m SouL, TT boards Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, F-one Trax
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Ozone Hyperlink v1 9m vs. Airush Ultra v2 10m vs. Repair an F-One Diablo

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:33 am

Stay on your 4 line kite - it's very obvious you don't have much skill in flying and understanding basic tuning of kites..

If you can - pay someone to learn to foil behind a boat. You'll progress faster..

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3364
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Ozone Hyperlink v1 9m vs. Airush Ultra v2 10m vs. Repair an F-One Diablo

Postby TomW » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Apologize for suspecting a troll.

You have made some poor gear decisions. Again, don't want to be harsh, just honest.

I'm 100% sure that you will sell that foil and get a more moderate wing. 1000-1200cm 2. Everything you try to learn will be 5x harder. So unless you are exceptionally talented and can spend 10-15hr a week practicing, you will not develop your skills.

Now days you can get a Gong Rise or Curve foil for 500€.

So first thing you should do is sell the race foil and buy a Gong. Or any other locally available 1000-1200cm2 foil. That's a better investment than any kite you can buy, likely cheaper too.
Then learn on your Lei 12-9-7 m kites.
Once you can fly transitions, flying foot switch, you can think about getting foil kites or specific foiling Lei.

Even if you have racing ambition this is the path to take.

sshantt
Rare Poster
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:21 pm
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Taaroa Sword 1 Foil
Mike's Lab foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone Hyperlink v1 9m vs. Airush Ultra v2 10m vs. Repair an F-One Diablo

Postby sshantt » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:54 pm

Breze wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 am
Have a look at the vid, the Flysurfer guys are explaining ( Min 37) what happens to an older foilkite. It will get more backstall and has low power.It seems you described the behavior of an older race foil very well. The loss of power of the Diabolo in combination with a small racewing like the Spotz leads to a much more wind hungry set up.The Diabolo is known for its paperlike cloth and no help from Fone with any lineplans.



Your 12m Pivot has quite the same power as the 9m foilkites you mentioned. The Sonic has the most and the HL the lowest power of theses three.
I wouldn`t go with the Sonic2 9m bc it is too trimm sensitive for a foil novice. The HL1 gets too fast too much water inside, the Soul 9m is "the" advanced freeride foil these days.
But why not further learning with your Pivot? For a bit more wind and better relaunch the Ultra 10m is a very nice kite too, one of the best single strut kites.
Breze you have shed so much light on my situation! Thank you!!!

This makes perfect sense. I guess I've been battling with an older kite that doesn't have the characteristics of a typical foil kite (although I've become rather good at flying the Diablo the past couple of weeks).

I was worried about the weight of the Pivot 12m. I guess I'll move forward practicing with it

I have the bridal specs for the Diablo; I'll just repair it in the future and use it after I get really good at foiling.

If I were to get the Ultra, what size would give me closest to 10-22 knots wind range with my foil, given I'm 82kg?
Breze wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 am
One question, why on earth did you buy an ancient race foil and an ancient race kite for learning? Is sadomaso your thing? :bye:
Lol hahaha... It was the price, I got the whole setup for ~$600
TomW wrote: Apologize for suspecting a troll.

You have made some poor gear decisions. Again, don't want to be harsh, just honest.

I'm 100% sure that you will sell that foil and get a more moderate wing. 1000-1200cm 2. Everything you try to learn will be 5x harder. So unless you are exceptionally talented and can spend 10-15hr a week practicing, you will not develop your skills.

Now days you can get a Gong Rise or Curve foil for 500€.

So first thing you should do is sell the race foil and buy a Gong. Or any other locally available 1000-1200cm2 foil. That's a better investment than any kite you can buy, likely cheaper too.
Then learn on your Lei 12-9-7 m kites.
Once you can fly transitions, flying foot switch, you can think about getting foil kites or specific foiling Lei.

Even if you have racing ambition this is the path to take.
This makes sense. I agree with you, my gear decisions have not been the best. They've been cheap though.

Thanks for the kite advice. I didn't know I can use my Pivot 12m due to weight. I'll give that a try and postpone getting a foil specific kite a little bit.

I do spend roughly 4-8 hours a week kiting. Given the fact that I'm at the verge of being able to stay continuously on the foil, should I still swap my foil? If the answer is yes, should I not even keep the Taaroa Sword for the future?


Return to “Foil Kites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Breze and 3 guests