For all foil kite riders
merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

The Firefly V2 mod

Postby merl » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:29 am

I’m happy to share a mod for the concept air firefly 4m that I got from the designer, Ben. The mod is relatively simple, and involves sewing 5 simple additional bridle attachment points, and tying 6 additional bridle lines.

The effect of the mod is to dramatically reduce fluttering when the wing is depowered. Single-skin kites are known for this tendency, and it limits the upper range of the kite. This mod not only makes general flying more pleasant but also increases the comfortable upper end of the kite.

Disclaimer: I am sharing this with permission of Ben, but the description of the mod is mine so it might not represent Ben’s ideas 100%. I have only tried the mod once, but the effect was so immediately noticeable that I thought it worth sharing immediately.
70739C10-3A5F-4CD9-9A35-D1CF9A8C0017.jpeg
The idea is to add additional bridle attachments half way between the C (third bridle row) and the Z (the last row). I call them D0 on the center rib, D1 on rib 1 and D3 on rib 3 (and symmetrically on the other side of the kite. Giving 5 attachments in all). To each of these you add a new bridle that joins with the corresponding C bridle connection. The lengths are given in the picture below:
CCC22FA8-D459-4674-846C-8BA89DC0C08E.jpeg
To attach the bridle the simplest way is to have an oversized bit of line and make a 1cm loop in the end with an overhand knot. You larkshead this to the attachment point, making sure the loop passes over the knot. If you experiment with the length you can make it so that the knot sits close to the webbing. Then measure the desired length from the webbing and mark the bridle at that point with a marker pen. Tie a figure-of-eight knot just above the mark, open the bridle connection a it and insert the line and pull tight. The knot should hold the line. There are fancier ways o doing this but the original bridle is made with just simple knots. The picture shows D0 and D1 tied together and inserted into the bridle junction.
20200722_103445.jpg
I hope these instructions are clear. The load on these new lines is light so there may be many other ways to connect the new bridle and sew new attachment points. I don’t think the measurements are millimetre critical.

Enjoy, and thanks to Ben for sharing the development.
These users thanked the author merl for the post:
Horst Sergio (Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

merl
Very Frequent Poster

Re: The Firefly V2 mod

Postby merl » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:53 pm

For info on other sizes and for the latest on the mod contact Ben directly at traction@conceptair.com

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:44 pm

Could the same be solution for Peak4 flapping?

merl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby merl » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:51 pm

a99 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:44 pm
Could the same be solution for Peak4 flapping?
Yeah I also wondered about that...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:54 am

Interesting :D

Eventhough, isn't the flapping somewhat the drag giving it extreme instant drift without lift, when riding waves fully depowered?

Or am I wrong here :roll:

Range could be increased yes, so maybe it depends on your usage.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
geron (Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:55 pm)

merl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby merl » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:43 am

Interesting point.

The mod does not fully remove the flapping from full depower - but it makes it much milder.

If anyone fancies trying something similar on the peak, I can note that it is not likely that you will guess the right bridle line lengths by eyeballing it. They were a fair bit longer than I expected at least.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:16 pm

I don't find any of my Peak4's have a flapping problem. I suppose it depends on the way you use your Peak4.
I tend to ride hard upwind on a surf foil out from the beach which means plenty of pressure on the kite and therefore no flapping. Then turn and ride depowered downwind riding any waves/chop which reduces the apparent wind and also reduces flapping. This gives me maximum range from a given Peak4.
If I get too much flapping downwind my kite's too big and I'll lose some of the ability to surf any waves and start to be pulled by the kite as if it was an LEI kite :D

If you're just mowing the lawn across the wind with a Peak4 you're probably not getting the essence of what a Peak4 can do.

merl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby merl » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:39 pm

Drsurf - I don't think there is any need to try to put people off trying out mods by suggesting that they must be lawnmowers. If it is possible to extend the useable range of kites then everyone benefits. I agree that peaks are a bit pointless it you are just riding up and down though, so no argument there.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:05 pm

Although I’m enjoying my Peak4’s here in Corsica with my Ketos WaveXL and Kool front wings I will argue the pointlessness of using the peaks for riding up and down.. they work great in gusty inland lakes where other foil kites will fail.. riding up and down with Peaks or no riding at all.. I know what I’ll do.. 8) (when I’m back home.. but first some more days with the 3m.. what a great toy!)
Oh I forgot about the flapping... just a tiny bit bar pressure and it’s gone.. when even that is too much.. rig smaller.

Edit; apologies for posting here.. assumed I was in the Peak4 thread..
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
geron (Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:54 pm)

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:15 pm

Hi merl,

thanks for the topic. If I find the time I will maybe try it, as looking for best high end. On the other hand I am sure this mod wont improve what is my only critic about Firefly:

It is just too low AR for my use unhooked foiling, so creates to much rest pull also in the best trimm position and also a bit weak in upwind for the same reason. Would hope for a completely redesigned Firefly V2 to become relevant higher AR for better glide and less pull, when not needed. Don't expect this would affect the extremly well (rubber ball style) relaunchability, relevantly. :wink:
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
geron (Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:54 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”