Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Highest performance (race) current model kite that doesn't require special handling?

For all foil kite riders
tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Highest performance (race) current model kite that doesn't require special handling?

Postby tkaraszewski » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:12 am

Both the new VMG and R1 require special flaking. The new VMG can’t be folded along its chord.

This leaves the F-one diablo V5, or the “performance freeride” kites from flysurfer and ozone, the sonic and Chrono. I get the impression the sonic is a racier kite than the Chrono.

There are probably some even more niche kites available out there.

I’m leaning toward new Sonics as free race kites that can take a bit more abuse than full race kites. I’d be curious if anyone else has a different opinion.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Re: Highest performance (race) current model kite that doesn’t require special handling?

Postby Foil » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:10 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:12 am
Both the new VMG and R1 require special flaking. The new VMG can’t be folded along its chord.

This leaves the F-one diablo V5, or the “performance freeride” kites from flysurfer and ozone, the sonic and Chrono. I get the impression the sonic is a racier kite than the Chrono.

I’m leaning toward new Sonics as free race kites that can take a bit more abuse than full race kites. I’d be curious if anyone else has a different opinion.
the chrono Ulight v3, works well in most conditions, gusty winds don't bother it too much, very forgiving of mistakes, jumps are insane, large sizes are fast looping, light on the bar but great feedback, stability is class beating, and check out the bridals, heavily used for 2 years(average 4 days a week) and no adjustments needed on any size(apart from sliding up the stop knot on the Z line a few cm if the kites ears ever go soft, pulleys still like new, tangle resistant smooth bridals. however price is the bummer,reassuringly expensive, but avoid the cheaper standard cloth, it's not the hover in the air kite like the ultralight,
folds or rolls up quick and easy, just need to wash off the beach bits regularly and dry well to maintain its crispy feel, easy relaunch if you do drop it, which is not often.

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Re: Highest performance (race) current model kite that doesn’t require special handling?

Postby juanpasala » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:55 pm

Got my new 11 and 15 mt sonic 3 last week and rode them during the weekend.
I am coming from a Sonic Race quiver, and I have to tell you, the performance and ease of use of theese kites is out of this world.
A lot of upward pull, very forgiving in gusty conditions and very, very fast. I was training with a profesional racer on the circuit, and although I couldnt go faster tahtn him, I wasnt being ditched.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Highest performance (race) current model kite that doesn't require special handling?

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:32 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:

I think they all benefit from being babied, but the Sonics and Chronos are clearly positioned outside the top-tier race envelope when it comes to materials and design specs. The original VMG can certainly be folded like a normal kite and from all appearances is a hell of a thing. I hear they're cheap now lightly used.

The Sonic3 is their best attempt at a race kite that hasn't made the compromises necessary in the VMG, so in that sense like everyone will likely parrot it seems very good. I've seen one at the local spot and it appears very good.

I think F-One would argue the Diablo deserves the same tender touch as any other of their competitors. Not sure what Maxime is riding these days but I think it's none of the above (Flymaax?)

Either way, I sort of see the question as, "do I want the super premium materials that inherently don't last as long, or do I want to compromise across the board for the more durable materials?"

I think if you have 2 sets of kites for practice and race, you get all the good stuff for regattas and then keep a few to ride-till-they-die in your practice lineup. For me, they're all everyday kites that I sometimes race, so that really dictates my choice. After that, how you fold them is pretty immaterial so long as you're not doing it in a way that's deliberately negligent. If this is just, "Hey I wanna buy 3 race kites and I'm not sold on the 2 models that are clearly top performers for reasons of materials durability," then you are the exact person Flysurfer wants to sell the Sonic3.

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela

Re: Highest performance (race) current model kite that doesn't require special handling?

Postby juanpasala » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:41 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:32 pm
tkaraszewski wrote:

I think they all benefit from being babied, but the Sonics and Chronos are clearly positioned outside the top-tier race envelope when it comes to materials and design specs. The original VMG can certainly be folded like a normal kite and from all appearances is a hell of a thing. I hear they're cheap now lightly used.

The Sonic3 is their best attempt at a race kite that hasn't made the compromises necessary in the VMG, so in that sense like everyone will likely parrot it seems very good. I've seen one at the local spot and it appears very good.

I think F-One would argue the Diablo deserves the same tender touch as any other of their competitors. Not sure what Maxime is riding these days but I think it's none of the above (Flymaax?)

Either way, I sort of see the question as, "do I want the super premium materials that inherently don't last as long, or do I want to compromise across the board for the more durable materials?"

I think if you have 2 sets of kites for practice and race, you get all the good stuff for regattas and then keep a few to ride-till-they-die in your practice lineup. For me, they're all everyday kites that I sometimes race, so that really dictates my choice. After that, how you fold them is pretty immaterial so long as you're not doing it in a way that's deliberately negligent. If this is just, "Hey I wanna buy 3 race kites and I'm not sold on the 2 models that are clearly top performers for reasons of materials durability," then you are the exact person Flysurfer wants to sell the Sonic3.
That s exactly what they ve done to me and I am quite happy :)

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:59 am

So far this is confirming my choice to get Sonics. :)

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:14 am

I'm not a racer but I can confirm that the Sonics are not difficult to handle. I'm not a top rider, I use TTs and it took 2 or 3 sessions only to feel completely comfortable. Also, hangtime is insane!!
I can't report about racing performances however and I also never tested other race kites, so these are just my two cents about handling.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:03 pm

PL AeroV2. Very very well designed kite which is stable and quite usable. If I had to choose I'd take Aero any time over Sonic2. Sonic3 may be even better but there is a big difference in price also.

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela

Postby juanpasala » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:25 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:03 pm
PL AeroV2. Very very well designed kite which is stable and quite usable. If I had to choose I'd take Aero any time over Sonic2. Sonic3 may be even better but there is a big difference in price also.
You are right to say they are cheaper, but the handling of the kite is as twitchy as all the other pure racing models, and so is the construction.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:00 pm

juanpasala wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:25 pm
kitexpert wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:03 pm
You are right to say they are cheaper, but the handling of the kite is as twitchy as all the other pure racing models, and so is the construction.
When I tested it it wasn't at all twitchy, actually I was amazed how easy it felt. Compared to Sonic2 I'd say it was better, compared to ChronoV1 it is a huge improvement. Comparing to Speed5 is not even fair.

Construction of AeroV2 is easily on par with other top end kites (excl. newest FS race monsters).

I checked line plans of AeroV2 and Sonic3, they are pretty similar. You could say AeroV2 is a better design because it achieves this even though it has higher cell count.

Return to “Foil Kites”