JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.
Brand Affiliation: None

Sonic or Soul for foiling progresion

Postby JoseTumaco » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:41 am

Need advice from foilers that tested Soul and Sonic in light wind. I want it for foiling, just for fun, not for competition, I foil 1 year ago, just jybing yet, not tacking. I have an Hiperlink v1 UL 12m, 2 years ago, now quite damaged,. .. and I am thinking in a 15 M Sonic or Soul. In one hand I am thinking in Soul because I normaly kite alone at the beach (500 M far maximum, that is not to much to swim back when my Hiperlink colapse, did it few times :rollgrin: ), and I heard Soul has Best in relaunching than Sonic, and it is more stable, so for security reasons Soul could be the Best option, (but is too similar to Hiperlink, and would like something to improve a bit),... IN THE OTHER HAND, I like SONIC because its better performance, I imagine is like a second stept/level in foil kites and I am very tempted to it, ¿Should it be too much dificult to use? I am already very used to Hiperlink with Moses 91 mast, 550 wing. I almost kite every Day, at the see, not lakes, in stabke and not gusty winds, Most of days in 10/11 knots, some of them 8 knots. I also TT in LEI kites 4 years ago. Thanks for your help!

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Re: Sonic or Soul for foiling progresion

Postby dave1986 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:50 am

I cannot answer your question about Soul vs Sonic, but as you already own an Ozone Hyperlink, I can highly recommend a Ozone Chrono V3 as a higher performance freeride alternative. The Chrono is extremely stable and easy to use, but higher performance than the Hyperlink (but not as high performance as race kites).

It comes in either standard fabric or Ultralight fabric. I would definitely recommend the Ultralight fabric if you plan to regularly use it in under 10knots.
These users thanked the author dave1986 for the post:
JoseTumaco (Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:11 am

If you have constant wind and like more performance and have enough experience with foil kites go with Sonic3 👍🏽
These users thanked the author Nem0 for the post:

Regularkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: North

Postby Regularkiter » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:42 pm

for recreational foiling soul is hands down a better choice! 10m is all you need with a big and small wings. Sonic doesn't loop as good, that's its problem, also too much performance, so if you are not racing, no point of it.
These users thanked the author Regularkiter for the post:

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:12 pm

Regularkiter wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:42 pm
for recreational foiling soul is hands down a better choice! 10m is all you need with a big and small wings. Sonic doesn't loop as good, that's its problem, also too much performance, so if you are not racing, no point of it.
Thanks! What fo you mean with too much performance? I understand you that Sonic is much more difficult to loop, to gybe/tack, and it is no much benefits if you dont want to race, and as you noticed I really dont mind going a bit more upwind, or going a bit faster because I just want to have fun, but in the other hand, if the difference is huge then I could trie,... Is the difference so huge?

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:52 pm

I foil 1 year ago, just jybing yet, not tacking. I have an Hiperlink v1 UL 12m, 2 years ago, now quite damaged,.
Why is the hyperlink damaged? can it be repaired? That’s already a good kite for learning. Save money and get it fixed up and tuned. Wait till you’re better at foiling to buy a new expensive kite.

Don’t get a 15m foil kite without demo’ing it firsts. 15m turns much slower than 12m and takes longer to accelerate, can actually be harder to keep in the air in light winds.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
JoseTumaco (Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:44 pm)

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Colombia Cabo de la Vela

Postby JoseTumaco » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:53 pm

Thanks for that good info about 15m foils @Jyoder. My Hiperlink is breaking in the inside buffles,... till now five times, and been repaired 5 times, I think is now old because of 3 days a Week kiting for two years but still works, I could wait some extra time. I need something in good materials for kiting every week, for example race kites are very frágile, you know if Sonic is the same as Soul or Hiperlink in durability?

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:19 pm

I have both soul and hyperling, 15m and 9 respectively, and soul is the best foil kite I have ever flown, is insanely sable, so you can jump with 0 bow tie worries. It' so powerful also maybe too much for my taste sometimes, because paired with a foil you can ride until nobody is left on the beach and my only complain is that I find it difficult to backstall land, even in light wind, so I only use it if there are gilrfriend or mates arround.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Having both the Soul and Sonic id recommend the Soul for you. Since you are still learning a lot hydrofoiling, you want a kite that is very stable and does it’s job(you don’t need to worry about the kite while you are worrying about making your next transition etc). Not to say the Sonic3 isn’t great, it is. But you are going to have more slack line issues while you learn and the Soul is MUCH better at that. Also it does relaunch better, behaved better in unstable conditions, and is cheaper.

What’s your weight/equipment? I ask because the 15m most likely is going to be a little too big for hydrofoiling. You are going to become over powered very quickly and the wind window for hydrofoiling is pretty small. I would recommend either the 12 or 10 Soul. With longer lines the 10m Soul will do you well but the 12 will give you a easier bottom end. What other kites are in your quiver. Could help determining the correct size.

=Jason-

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:11 pm

BOEMIX wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:19 pm
I find it difficult to backstall land, even in light wind, so I only use it if there are gilrfriend or mates arround.
Try to shorten Backlines round about 5cm and backstall landing would be no problem anymore!

Return to “Foil Kites”