Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: No return point of a foil kite

Postby TomW » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:39 pm

My point of no return happened last Friday. Out on my 300 hours of use hyperlink v1 9m. 2 1/2 years old in turbulent, gusty side, slightly side off winds. Lost my concentration and followed the kite in high speed gybe at same time hit a lull/ turbulence and kite inverted, spun 5-6 times before hitting the water. 300m off the beach. Tried to launch it a while, no luck. Rolled up lines , but failed to roll up kite as it had filled with a lot of water and i was afraid to get tangled in bridles. I attached my leash to my friends harness and he proceeded to drag me in while i held the bar with rolled lines. This filled the kite with more water and we couldn't drag in, so i let the kite go. We dragged in, changed to dry clothes and drove up to a small harbor and a friendly local took us out in a boat to look for it. We couldn't find it. It had sunk below surface and wind had picked up. Never found it.
Later i thought i could have attached my floatation vest to it, but that would have been risky too.
At least my friend saved me and the board.
This is first time in 3 seasons ive had any problems not being able to relaunch hyperlink when theres wind to fly it. It was getting old, and i did the fabsil treatment this spring, planning on getting a new one next year, as i use this kite 90% of the time.
Found a V2 9m demo kite from dealer with warranty, so bought it.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: No return point of a foil kite

Postby kitexpert » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:30 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:36 am
Please could you explain what is meant by baffle straps? is this an internal diagonal piece? or something else?
Exactly. It is weird to invent new names to kite parts. Judging from the pictures those parts are the ribs of the kite, or airfoils or vertical "walls" in between cells.

Strap like look is because there is so large holes for internal ventilation and also for making ribs lighter in weight. Those ribs which don't have bridle points can be quite a lot lightened but then kite becomes more fragile of course.

Anyone who does kite repair work knows Ozone kites were not very strongly build, for example difference to FS was pretty big in details and construction. I don't know how it is for the latest models but at least for snow kites that was the case. I used to make kites almost to PG standards and I was amazed when I saw Access and Frenzy kites, how cheap and simple the construction of them was - despite the high selling prices. All FS kites I''ve seen were (and hopefully are) of proper quality.

Return to “Foil Kites”