Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone Chrono V4

Postby jakemoore » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:49 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:57 pm
papasmerf wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:40 am
i sometimes wonder though how much i would really gain with a bigger kite than the 11m,,, i just can't imagine kiting in lower wind than what i can currently use the 11m in, doesn't even seem possible
I don't think the 13 or 15m will give much of a low wind advantage compared with your 11m... the bigger kites will just allow you to use a smaller hydrofoil in low winds.
Maybe 1 knot. If I am out riding on the 11 in dropping winds the difference between staying on foil and keeping the kite in the air is very little. The biggest difference is better angles and more lift for footswitches.

addictedtofoil
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: queenscliff
Gear: Ozone foil kites
SABFoil/Moses hydrofoils
Wings: F-one Stike, Ensis

Postby addictedtofoil » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:55 am

I have a chrono 11m v3, do you think it is worth upgrading to the chrono 11m v4? I know that the new material is lighter and bridals are reduced, but in terms of overall performance and jumping, is it really worth it given that I only use the kite in 8-14 knot range foiling?

I am also wondering if the 13m v4 would be as quick turning as the 11m v4? My current 11m v3 isn't that fast at turning in light winds.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:40 am

dave1986 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:57 pm
papasmerf wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:40 am
I'm jealous!!! would love to try the v4 in 11, 13, or 15. why are you on lockdown? are there places still on lockdown? you should go to Utah,,, it's like they don't even know about the pandemic

no demo's around here for me sadly. i am on older 7m hyperlink v1 ul and 11m v3ul. when it gets too much for my 7m, i must go to a 5m ufo. i have tried 7m ufo but still too powerful. i think that the 7-11 quiver is amazing but i often wonder if a 7 and a 13 quiver would work even better,,,, that 7m v1 ul can be used down to 10 mph i swear. in fact i love it at the low end.

wish it was easier to demo kites, sigh.

i sometimes wonder though how much i would really gain with a bigger kite than the 11m,,, i just can't imagine kiting in lower wind than what i can currently use the 11m in, doesn't even seem possible
15m vs 11m for low wind ..well this depends on your riding style and if you want, and know how to use power, there is a huge difference ..in 10-15knots Id prefer 15m over 11m ..after a while just getting on a foil becomes boring

The whole of the UK is in lockdown. Only essential travel is allowed... I.e. it's only allowed to kiteurf if you live locally to the beach. The lockdown rules start to be relaxed at the end of March though so hopefully I can test it then.

I don't think the 13 or 15m will give much of a low wind advantage compared with your 11m... the bigger kites will just allow you to use a smaller hydrofoil in low winds.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Re: Ozone Chrono V4 (New Chrono V5)

Postby dave1986 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:27 pm

Looks like the V5 Chrono will soon be released

https://ozonekites.com/de/chrono-v5-manual/

I see the Exp V1 is also released which appears to be a V5 Chrono with open cells and the 5th line re-ride system

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:42 am

The 5th line reside system would be great on the water as well. In high winds, I often hesitate to self-land a foil kite. The ability to shutdown the power would be terrific. Has anyone tried it? The video shows a light-wind application. I wonder how it does in high winds.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:48 pm

ReRide only works with open-cell kites. It is however EXTREMELY effective in high winds as the higher the windspeed, the more the internal bridle compresses the wing.

Hooking the inline loop to your hook or even a gloved finger is enough to hold a Reride-equipped kite in 30kts with ease.

These users thanked the author Hardwater Kiter for the post:
fernmanus (Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:07 pm

ReRide only works with open-cell kites. It is however EXTREMELY effective in high winds as the higher the windspeed, the more the internal bridle compresses the wing.

Hooking the inline loop to your hook or even a gloved finger
Hardwater Kiter,

Thank you for your reply and the video!

I ordered an 18 and a 9 EXP. 18 exclusively as a snow kite. 9 mostly for the water. Lead-time is 30 days, so should have them for the start of the snow kite season.

I never drop the small foil kites as I just boost in high winds, so 7, 9, 11 would work, even as open-cell kites on the water. 18, 15 and 13 probably need to stick with closed-cell for the water.

I wish the ReRide worked with closed-cell kites as that would be the ultimate kite! I feel much safer self-launching foil kites compared to LEI's, but landing a closed-cell kite solo in high winds is sketchy.

Kiteski
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: TT
Hydrofoil
Snowboard
Skis

Postby Kiteski » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:29 am

Fernmanus, check out the Ozone “Hyperlink.” I believe it may be convertible between open and closed cell (could be wrong) but it definitely has the “re-ride” system.

Open cell foil kite in water is a recipe for disaster.

Those EXP look fantastic though! These are what my dreams are made of.

Jeff
Last edited by Kiteski on Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiteski
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: TT
Hydrofoil
Snowboard
Skis

Postby Kiteski » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:56 am

Retraction…

Just followed my own advice and checked out the hyper link…

Seems like maybe the re-ride only works in open cell mode so, that might not work any better than the EXP for you, on water. And, I imagine the Chrono is better for jumping too so, good choice! Just don’t drop it : )

knucklehead beginner
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 180 LBS
Gear: lots of kites

Postby knucklehead beginner » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:15 am

. Retraction…

Just followed my own advice and checked out the hyper link…

Seems like maybe the re-ride only works in open cell mode so, that might not work any better than the EXP for you, on water. And, I imagine the Chrono is better for jumping too so, good choice! Just don’t drop it : )
Yeah, the Hyper Link doesn’t come close to the Chrono for jumping. I have a Chrono V4 11m and R1 V4 9m. I have never dropped them in the water. The R1 is actually more stable than the Chrono, but I am nervous flying it in high wind as a big gust could easily snap the tiny bridles. I feel a lot better with the EXP 1 in high wind. It is built for heavy winds and the ability to shut it down in high wind is amazing.

I am curious to see the Chrono 5. The Chrono 4 suffers fron wing-tip fold in gusty wind, especially if the kite is depowered. Hoping the EXP and Chrono 5 are more stable than the Chrono 4.

Return to “Foil Kites”