Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone Chrono V4 (New Chrono V5)

Postby jbrodin » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:32 pm

A couple of ting I don't like with the Chrono v4:

Launch/folding tips. In strong winds I have not found any way to launch without being lifted when I pull in the steering lines to get the tips inflated. If the kite drops and has to be re-launhed, the tips will need reinflation, leading to another undesirable flight. If you are away from the board, this yanks you another good distance. This is much better on both the Soul and the Sonic. I also had a Hyperlink V2, it had the same hanging ears as well.

The loops have inconsistent pull, making them scary as shit in high winds.

The kite has excellent performance though!

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:05 pm

jbrodin wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:32 pm
In strong winds I have not found any way to launch without being lifted when I pull in the steering lines to get the tips inflated.
I have not tried the Chrono V5... But you could try to turn left and right quickly instead of pulling the bar? Short, alternating pulses left and right.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:16 am

jbrodin wrote:
Launch/folding tips. In strong winds I have not found any way to launch without being lifted when I pull in the steering lines to get the tips inflated.
Hello, what wind speeds are you launching in?
I fly up the side of the “wind window” slowly which aids the inflation process and once at the top I pull the brake line “ gently” in order to inflate the tips.
There Is a fine balance between pulling in the brake line too much or not pulling in the brake line enough to inflate either of the wing tips. Its all down to practice really.
Never flown any other versions of the Chrono as I’m flying V1’s and by all accounts the later versions should inflate faster.

jbrodin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008

Postby jbrodin » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:32 pm

mgs wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:16 am
jbrodin wrote:
Launch/folding tips. In strong winds I have not found any way to launch without being lifted when I pull in the steering lines to get the tips inflated.
I fly up the side of the “wind window” slowly which aids the inflation process and once at the top I pull the brake line “ gently” in order to inflate the tips.
There Is a fine balance between pulling in the brake line too much or not pulling in the brake line enough to inflate either of the wing tips. Its all down to practice really.
Never flown any other versions of the Chrono as I’m flying V1’s and by all accounts the later versions should inflate faster.
In winds over 18 knots I get lifted, sometimes 2-3 meters up and 5-10 downwind. The tips don't inflate onbthe side. I used to have a Soul and it never did this.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:56 am

I've seen someone launch a chrono v2 and they had the same issue you are describing. I try to inflate as much as possible at the side - I remember seeing a video where Armin demonstrated pulling on a float to keep the kite low in the window so he could pin the bar in order to launch an old version of the Sonic.

I did think the Hyperlink v3 inflated really quickly when I tested it and inflated really evenly (much quicker and more evenly than my v1 Souls). Maybe the Chrono v5 is better as well now?

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:25 am

Cobra launch at 45deg downwind and keep the kite backstalled there deep in the wind window when you slowly let the downwind tip rise up until the kite is fully inflated. In strong winds with small sizes this only should cost a few seconds. But as soon as you let it shoot forward the tips will collapse and you get dragged more trying to open them.
Soul tips open almost on itself like the older speeds if you just wait long enough, but cobra is always way faster and safer in strong winds.
Kite with higher AR like the chrono don't open on themself.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:45 pm

Jbrodin,

Yeah, the Chrono 4 does suffer from tip folding in gusty wind and when launching in strong winds.

I have minimized tip inflation by using a heap load of sand on the TE, I am sure this practice reduces the lifespan of the kite, but it is better than getting dragged everywhere trying to inflate the tips or even worse a kite inversion.

BTW, I have had launch issues with EVERY foil kite in wind over 30 knots. The heavy sanding bag method is the only way I have found to launch safely. Over 40, I pull out the LEIs.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:22 pm

jbrodin wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:32 pm
mgs wrote:
jbrodin wrote:
In winds over 18 knots I get lifted, sometimes 2-3 meters up and 5-10 downwind. The tips don't inflate onbthe side. I used to have a Soul and it never did this.
I forgot to ask what size Chrono are you launching in winds of over 18 knots/20 mph

jbrodin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008

Postby jbrodin » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:12 pm

mgs wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:22 pm
jbrodin wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:32 pm
mgs wrote:

I forgot to ask what size Chrono are you launching in winds of over 18 knots/20 mph
I only have the 11m, it has tons of depower, especially wirh a race bar, so I find it works fine in at least 25 knots. Once you have launched and fully inflated, that is. I've used it in as much as 30 on snow, and it is manageable, and usually getting lifted is less of a problem, as long as there are no rocks and yhe snow is no to hard packed.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:41 pm

(quote) I only have the 11m, it has tons of depower, especially wirh a race bar, so I find it works fine in at least 25 knots. Once you have launched and fully inflated, that is. I've used it in as much as 30 on snow, and it is manageable, and usually getting lifted is less of a problem, as long as there are no rocks and yhe snow is no to hard packed.
[/quote]

wow, i guess snowkiting is diferent than foil kiting, i have the 11m v3 UL version and 18-20 mph is my max wind , i would never even consider launching above that. I have not snowkited in about 15 years so,,,but anyway,, 15 years flying foil kites and every year, with every "new" version, I never see much difference.

i like my ozones though.

Return to “Foil Kites”